PDA

View Full Version : Wash and wax on a hot day

Pages : [1] 2 3

DyVillian
05-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Anyone have any ideas on what products to use on a hot summer day at noon? Work in small sections? Do i need a tent to shade the car? This is for mobile detailing and i was trying to plan for anything that doesnt have shade.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Buster906
05-07-2017, 07:46 PM
Megs D156 Express spray wax will work in the sun

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ronkh57
05-07-2017, 07:48 PM
Poorboys
Most of McKees

will work great in sun. But remember if it's too hot to touch, it's too hot to detail.

PaulMys
05-07-2017, 08:15 PM
You didn't state which part of the country you reside in. What I can get away with in direct sun here in NY is WAY different than what Ron (above) and other guys in FL can get away with.

That said, HD Speed will work in direct sun here for me.

Another thing I will do is wash/wax my horizontal panels early in the morning before the sun gets too high.

Then, work on the west (shady) side in the a.m., and the east (shady) side in the p.m.

DyVillian
05-07-2017, 09:18 PM
Im in oklahoma. So itll hit high 90 low 100s. So shade and a good spray down with pure water to help cool down. Then wax with something

Sent from my SM-G930V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

custmsprty
05-07-2017, 09:30 PM
You didn't state which part of the country you reside in. What I can get away with in direct sun here in NY is WAY different than what Ron (above) and other guys in FL can get away with.

That said, HD Speed will work in direct sun here for me.

Another thing I will do is wash/wax my horizontal panels early in the morning before the sun gets too high.

Then, work on the west (shady) side in the a.m., and the east (shady) side in the p.m.

Exactly, for example it was 52 degrees this morning in Tampa and by noon it was 85 so imagine how hot the surface of a darker colored paint would be.

Get a least a 10 x 10 or 12 x 12 pop up if you are going mobile.

PaulMys
05-07-2017, 10:41 PM
Im in oklahoma. So itll hit high 90 low 100s. So shade and a good spray down with pure water to help cool down. Then wax with something

Just be careful with a "water spray down" in a hot climate situation without drying immediately. Or else you'll be dealing with water spots.

Mad Wax
05-07-2017, 11:01 PM
Rinseless wash solutions diluted with distilled water. I second Poorboys products. I'd stay away from anything carnuba in direct sunlight.

DyVillian
05-07-2017, 11:21 PM
If its purified water with the clear water system. I dont remember the name. Will it leave spots??

Kevin845
05-08-2017, 05:57 AM
Could use a cool damp/wet towel to cover the next area to be processed and just keep moving the towel to the next position on the horizontal surfaces. For the sides, one side will be in the shade, just spin the car 180 degrees so side you are working on is in the shade. Yes on work smaller areas for sure.

natewood70
05-08-2017, 07:00 AM
I've washed mine and my wife's car in direct sunlight for quite some time now. Once I get the hose out, foam gun ready, and buckets filled up (2BM + 1 for the wheels/tires) I can perform a complete wash & wax with D156 on one vehicle in about 35 - 40 minutes.

If the sun is really cooking, I just continue to wet the panel(s) that are getting hit the hardest frequently to help reduce the potential of water spots.

The steps I take are as follows:

1. Wash/Rinse wheels & tires
2. High pressure rinse the car
3. Foam gun the car and let dwell for about 2 minutes (this gives me time to rinse out and clean my wheel/tire washing gear)
4. Start top down washing the car and after both sides of the wash mitt have been utilized, hit the rinse bucket and then re-invigorate with wash solution
4a. (If Necessary) continue to hose down panels in direct sunlight during mitt rinses
5. High pressure rinse the car
6. Perform "flood" method rinse to reduce the amount of standing water beads
7. Spray D156 on panels in direct sunlight & dry those and windows first
8. Work my way around the car lightly misting the panels with D156 so I essentially wax as I dry

Hope this helps out!

Scottie Brown
05-16-2017, 04:27 PM
I live in Phoenix and have this problem. Even in the winter the sun makes the paint too hot to work with in direct sunlight. Honestly, the easiest thing to do is to wax in shade so if a carport or garage isn't available, an EZ Up type canopy is really handy (as mentioned above).

I started using Optimum No Rinse with distilled water, a chenille microfiber wash mitt, and good quality microfiber towels to dry. This allows you to easily, throughly and quickly wash your car with little mess and no water spots in direct sunlight.

I then try to move the car into the shade and let the paint cool down while doing the door jambs or vacuuming in the meantime. I then use HD speed AIO when it is hot. You need to make sure you are using a pad conditioner or quick Detailer to keep it from drying on the warm surface. McKees might be better in direct sunlight, as someone else mentioned. I honestly stopped trying anything in direct sunlight here. If I must do it, though, I use a wet chamois on the panel I am about to work on and quickly use my DA polisher on that side while moving the chamois to the next panel.

I've also become a huge fan of Menzerna Power Lock as a paint sealer in place of a wax. You can wax before and top it with this, but for most cars, it isn't really needed as the Menzerna is easy to apply with a DA polisher and easy to wipe off after 30 minutes. Just make sure you apply it in a thin amount or it can be a bear to get off. In direct sunlight it applies pretty well but I think the cure time is cut in half to about 15-20 minutes.

That's how I've been doing it here in The Valley of the Sun anyway. I hope that helps a bit. Others might have better advice but after a lot of trial and error, this method has been working well for me.

Sent from my iPad using AGOnline

ducksfan
05-16-2017, 06:08 PM
Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax is a good sealant that can be applied in the sun.

Scottie Brown
05-16-2017, 06:11 PM
Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax is a good sealant that can be applied in the sun.

I second that. It does work pretty well. Since it is a polymer wax and not a carnauba wax, it spreads well and doesn't dry too quickly. I have used it a couple of times in the sun and it did well.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Route246
05-16-2017, 08:27 PM
McKee's 37 360 Corrects, Cleans, Seals 360 corrects, cleans, and seals auto paint! 360 is more than a cleaner wax, its a swirl remover, polish, and (http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-360.html)

McKee's 360 AIO direct from the product description: "Polish McKee's 37 360™ until it disappears. It leaves no stubborn haze. Even when applied in the sun, McKee's 37 360™ is a breeze to apply and remove."

I don't waste time with finicky, perfect-conditions-required products anymore. I can't control the weather, the time of day or the amount of sun. 360 works under the sun. It will remove any new water spots you have at the same time.