PDA

View Full Version : Stumped

Retread
05-07-2017, 03:08 PM
I used to manage a large detail shop-and have cleaned/detailed cars since I was 11-but here lately I cannot get my own windshield clean without streaks. I have tried everything down to a plain (new) cloth wet with water and a clean (new) cloth to dry. I have used well known cleaners, paper towels, cloths etc to no avail. Can anyone get me "cleared up"?

Cosmin
05-07-2017, 03:38 PM
i have a saying ," if your towel is not cleaned you will not have a clean window" , i found new towels leave lint behind. i usually use towels, pre-used but cleaned and dry. one will have window cleaner the second dry. i wipe the cleaner towel up down and the dry left right , i do use medium pressure and a bit more energy at wiping in the last stage that will build light heat and helps with drying. i use to change sides of the towel as i move around the car.
as cleaner i use 1:10, meg glass cleaner concentrate.

FUNX650
05-07-2017, 03:40 PM
When I run into this difficulty:
I'll first use a polish to "deep clean"
the auto-glass...followed-up with
a glass cleaner product.

:idea:

•"Polish":
-Meguiar's M04/terry cloth towel
•"Glass Cleaner":
-Meguiar's D120

•And don't be stingy when it comes to
Microfiber Towels (I like waffle-weaves
for auto-glass): Exchange them often
for clean and dry ones.

Bob

Jeremy1976
05-07-2017, 04:02 PM
I find waffle weave drying towels to work the best!

DetailKitty
05-07-2017, 05:43 PM
I find waffle weave drying towels to work the best!

I second this.
I also agree with flipping the towel over and over and you move along.

LSNAutoDetailing
05-07-2017, 07:38 PM
Even though you may not be dealing with smokers glass, this article (and video) will certainly address everything you need to know:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/104526-how-remove-smokers-film-off-inside-windshield-review-blackfire-glass-cleaner.html

joecollectin
06-29-2017, 01:37 PM
Magic Eraser, two small buckets of water (clean and rinse), clean and dry mf towel. The magic eraser will take everything off your windshield (rinse often) and you buff it dry with the mf towel. Pro tip: kneel on the front seat while facing backwards using your arm and hand upside down - easiest method I've ever used for cleaning the inside of windshields.
If you're unsure about the magic eraser's ability, try it on any window (inside or outside) first because I'm sure you'll be convinced.

JET Fusion
08-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Completely agree with Polish and clean towels. I've only had mediocre success with waffle-weave towels. And limited success with MF. My best success is with older baby cloth towels and well used terry towels. But most of any success is from polishing the glass (often times as a contortionist).

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Dr Oldz
08-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Surgical huck towels. Can be had cheap!!

*Drops mic