PDA

View Full Version : Gloss black fusion rims, what to clean with?

Bill1234
05-07-2017, 10:40 AM
A friend had his car damaged and the door is getting replaced...3 grand later out of the anothers insurance. His car was parked and some guy scraped and dented the door. Bad day for them both. Anyway, I was wondering what I could use to clean these? Im guessing something like wheel acid is a total no on these as it would mess with the surface of the gloss finish? They are Ford factory rims too so they are probably heat baked in some way.

I also have in my supplies:
LAs totally awesome
Simple green apc
Brown Royal wheel cleaner
Iron x and 3D BDX-these two I think I will use after to get the rims really clean

After I dont know what to do to keep them looking nice. Im not too familiar with this but could I wax them just on the outer face?

Setec Astronomy
05-07-2017, 10:50 AM
I'm not sure why you think you wouldn't treat these like any other wheel, Bill. Don't silver or clear painted wheels also have a gloss finish? Since IIRC you have Wheel Bright, which I never recommend anyway, I would say you should use the Brown Royal with the normal precautions of not letting it dry on the wheels.

FUNX650
05-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Are they so dirty that you couldn't
just use your regular Car-wash
shampoo, and a wash mitt, on them?

Bob

Klasse Act
05-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Depending upon how dirty the wheels are are quality wheel cleaner like Meg's Mirror Brute and Daytona Speed Master brush will get the job done. Sometimes 2 cleanings are in order 👈

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

7.3powerstroke
05-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Just use the Brown royal and clean them just like you would regular factory wheels. Yes you can use regular car wax or sealant to make them easier to clean in the future...

Bill1234
05-09-2017, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure why you think you wouldn't treat these like any other wheel, Bill. Don't silver or clear painted wheels also have a gloss finish? Since IIRC you have Wheel Bright, which I never recommend anyway, I would say you should use the Brown Royal with the normal precautions of not letting it dry on the wheels.

I have wheel brightener in my arsenal because honestly its a last ditch effort or for rims that are really bad. Mostly every car that ive work on have been unfortunately. I once worked on jeep rims that had heavily embedded iron and dirt that even iron x was struggling with.

Setec Astronomy
05-09-2017, 08:39 AM
I have wheel brightener in my arsenal because honestly its a last ditch effort or for rims that are really bad. Mostly every car that ive work on have been unfortunately. I once worked on jeep rims that had heavily embedded iron and dirt that even iron x was struggling with.

And that's the proper use for Meg's WB. What are you going to use on these black wheels?

Bill1234
05-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Most likely the brown royal or 1 to 1 apc, see how they are and then do an iron x decon. Once done apply some 476s colliinite to keep them more of a piano black look

Setec Astronomy
05-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Whatever you use, Bill, don't let it dry on the surface.

Eldorado2k
05-09-2017, 10:00 AM
I don't know why you'd consider a general cleaner such as APC@1:1, which in some cases could very well be too harsh for certain delicate surfaces.. When you already have BR and should know by now it'll safely clean pretty much any set of wheels you'll run into.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170509/2ae4e486f551d5ebe26b8d0f0591440d.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170509/88a99a6ac45c97072cb083cfc09adf25.jpg

Save the APC for door panels, Wheel Brightener for chrome wheels, color changing wheel cleaners for bare aluminum, and everything else is a no brainier:)