PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try "Simoniz Clay Mitt"? (Canada)

orange260z
05-07-2017, 08:09 AM
Hi all,

As many of you know, Canadian Tire sells a proprietary car care product line branded as "Simoniz". I don't believe the products have a lot in common with Simoniz sold in the US, but I could be wrong. Most of the Simoniz products don't have a great reputation, but occasionally there are some very decent items in the mix. One of the big advantages to Simoniz is that it is readily and locally available to most Canadians, while shipping items from (even Canadian) online stores can be expensive unless you have a large ($150+) order.

Searching for clay mitt options, I came across the Simoniz (Canada) product, which sells for only CAD15 (USD11). I haven't been able to find any reviews on it other than on the Canadian Tire site - but most of the CT reviews are likely not from people with a deep detailing background, but rather from "Joe" quickly cleaning his 2002 Dodge Caravan while the kids are at soccer practice. The mitt physically looks like the "wowo clay mitt" that seems to be positively reviewed; but who knows if it is actually the same product or a knock-off.

Simoniz Detailing Clay Mitt | Canadian Tire (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/simoniz-detailing-clay-mitt-0391230p.html)

I am looking to remove some surface contaminants from my Phantom Grey 2016 Cadillac CTS after a winter driving season. I notice there are some metal particles on the rear doors and fenders. The car was professionally polished and waxed last summer by the dealer (prior to my purchase the paint was showing the results of sitting on the dealer's lot for four months, including snow brushing in the winter).

I don't have a lot of experience with clay, and I have limited time and patience for detailing my car, but I don't want to end up with a lot of swirls and micro-marring from using a flawed product. I don't have a DA polisher and don't plan to do any polishing or paint correction on this car in the near future, only a quick coating using CarPro Hydro2.

Has anyone here tried the Simoniz Detailing Clay Mitt product? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mantilgh
05-07-2017, 08:59 AM
The car was professionally polished and waxed last summer by the dealer (prior to my purchase the paint was showing the results of sitting on the dealer's lot for four months, including snow brushing in the winter).

I don't have a lot of experience with clay, and I have limited time and patience for detailing my car, but I don't want to end up with a lot of swirls and micro-marring from using a flawed product. I don't have a DA polisher and don't plan to do any polishing or paint correction on this car in the near future, only a quick coating using CarPro Hydro2.

Has anyone here tried the Simoniz Detailing Clay Mitt product? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'm not sure if the mods will like your link, but I highlighted the things that would concern me.

It sounds like the paint may be in pretty good condition except for the particles on the rear and lower panels. I would be worried about marring the paint with any type of clay product, not only with this mitt.

Some here have an unwritten rule about this which says if you are going to clay, you should at least plan on a light polishing step.

While claying doesn't always cause noticeable marring, it is mildly abrasive and has the potential to.

With your situation (not having a polisher or much free time, and nicely polished car) you might be better off with a chemical decontamination process with something like IronX.

I don't think this mitt would necessarily be bad, I use another OTC mitt for light claying and have not really had any issues with it.