PDA

View Full Version : safest APC/degreaser for long term use?

Pages : [1] 2

mwoywod
05-07-2017, 01:06 AM
Hey guys, I'm really trying to make an attempt to find and use an APC/degreaser thats a bit safer. The truth is, on a daily basis no matter how safe (gloves, mask, long sleeve shirt) I am I still getting light mists of APC/degreaser on my skin (I always wash it off ASAP)

I know Einezett 1z Blitz APC doesn't have any known skin allergies but it is pretty expensive and just too mild to rely on for tougher jobs. I've been using lots of 3D products lately and after reading their SDS sheets it seems like all of their cleaners have a NFPA health rating of 1 which is much better than meguiars. I have gone through gallons and gallons of meguiars D101 APC and D108 super Degreaser which I love but I realized the other day that they make everyone around me cough, but they don't make me cough anymore. I worry about using Butyl based APC's and Degreasers and after reading the SDS sheets (both meguiars cleaners have an NFPA health rating of 3!)

I am more than willing to pay more for a cleaner that isn't as harsh. By the way, I'm not a chemist and I know very little about these chemicals and the cumulative effects they may or may not have on us in the future . Does anyone have an opinion on 3D APC or 3D orange Degreaser? I like the fact that they have to follow california's strict chemical guidelines. Maybe the Duragloss Ultimate Orange or Duragloss Gree APC?

Thanks guys!

fightnews
05-07-2017, 05:50 AM
How about p21s total auto wash? I just finished my first bottle and I will be buying more despite already having multiple all purpose cleaners. I did my engine with it yesterday I really like it.

GSKR
05-07-2017, 06:40 AM
Hey guys, I'm really trying to make an attempt to find and use an APC/degreaser thats a bit safer. The truth is, on a daily basis no matter how safe (gloves, mask, long sleeve shirt) I am I still getting light mists of APC/degreaser on my skin (I always wash it off ASAP)

I know Einezett 1z Blitz APC doesn't have any known skin allergies but it is pretty expensive and just too mild to rely on for tougher jobs. I've been using lots of 3D products lately and after reading their SDS sheets it seems like all of their cleaners have a NFPA health rating of 1 which is much better than meguiars. I have gone through gallons and gallons of meguiars D101 APC and D108 super Degreaser which I love but I realized the other day that they make everyone around me cough, but they don't make me cough anymore. I worry about using Butyl based APC's and Degreasers and after reading the SDS sheets (both meguiars cleaners have an NFPA health rating of 3!)

I am more than willing to pay more for a cleaner that isn't as harsh. By the way, I'm not a chemist and I know very little about these chemicals and the cumulative effects they may or may not have on us in the future . Does anyone have an opinion on 3D APC or 3D orange Degreaser? I like the fact that they have to follow california's strict chemical guidelines. Maybe the Duragloss Ultimate Orange or Duragloss Gree APC?

Thanks guys!butly is caustic and will eventually eat the paint off the wheels.No one can answer if these chemicals will make you cough.Have you thought of a good resperarator mask.Opc is kinda pricey but diluted down I think it would be a match for you.

fightnews
05-07-2017, 07:55 AM

Thanks guys!

are you sure you're not just an armchair chemist looking to use the sds sheets as a cookbook? lol, remember that

Setec Astronomy
05-07-2017, 10:32 AM
butly is caustic and will eventually eat the paint off the wheels.No one can answer if these chemicals will make you cough.Have you thought of a good resperarator mask.Opc is kinda pricey but diluted down I think it would be a match for you.

Agree. If you're breathing spray mist some sort of mask sounds like a good idea. OPC doesn't have any butyl in it, it has glycol ether. I believe Dr. G commented on that at one time that he didn't use butyl compounds for safety reasons, I don't remember if he was referring to vehicle safety or personnel safety.

cleanmycorolla
05-07-2017, 10:45 AM
i have and always will be a fan of CG All Clean+ best stuff ever IMO.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
05-07-2017, 11:02 AM
McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity All Purpose Cleaner Plus 128 oz.
Cleans everything!

Use McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity All Purpose Cleaner Plus to clean virtually any automotive surface! Hi-Intensity All Purpose Cleaner Plus cleans vinyl and plastic interior surfaces, carpet and upholstery, tires, engines, leather, clear and colored plastics, and glass. McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity All Purpose Cleaner Plus can be diluted to tackle any job; one gallon of APC will make up to 11 gallons of ready-to-use all purpose cleaner! McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity All Purpose Cleaner Plus makes it possible to clean every surface with a single product.

Just wanted to tell you how awesome your APC cleaner is! I just ordered the two gallon combo from Auto Geek and wow I don't have to hold my breath when I use this cleaner. If you are looking for a new APC then look no further then Mckee's, this stuff has the power to cut through any dirty job. Look forward to trying more of your products! - Dustin D.

McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity APC Plus provides all the premium characteristics of a high-end all purpose cleaner at a much lower price. Formulated for the detail shop that uses APC like a race car uses gas, Hi-Intensity APC Plus is a versatile, cost-effective all purpose cleaner that you can rely on to clean almost every automotive surface.

McKee's 37 Hi Intensity APC Plus makes up to 39 bottles of ready to use all purpose cleaner

McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity APC Plus forgoes harsh chemicals that are harmful to you and the environment and instead relies on smart chemistry. McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity APC Plus is strong enough to remove grease from engine bays, yet gentle enough to clean fine leather upholstery at the proper dilution ratio. McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity APC Plus leaves behind a fresh citrus fragrance inside the vehicle.

"McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity APC Plus will not leave surfaces sticky, regardless of the dilution ratio. When a powerful cleaner is needed for engines, tires, and fender wells – dilute 4:1. For light to moderate dirt and grime inside the vehicle, dilute 10:1. Feel free to play chemist in your detail shop and experiment with the dilution ratios! No matter the dilution, McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity APC Plus will not leave a film on the surface."

http://www.autogeek.net/dp-apc-plus.html

Mckee's 37 Hi-Intensity APC just like all the McKee's products rely on safety.

This APC does not leave a residue behind. So that means you can wipe off without rinsing.

Good chemistry went into formulating this APC. And it is not harmful to your or your environment.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

FUNX650
05-07-2017, 11:41 AM
Really effective APC/Degreasers usually
contain "hot" chemicals---some of which
can cause varying degrees of sensitivities
to humans---both short and long term.

Note:
"If the Lord is willing...and the Creek
don't rise"...I can let you know more
about their long term affects in a few
short years.

With that in mind, here lately...
I've been using the following two 303
products as my APC/Degreaser without
experiencing any onset: coughing spells,
skin redness, headaches...and other types
of overpowering surfactant, and other
chemicals, related maladies.

•303 Multi-Surface Cleaner
•303 Marine Citrus Cleaner & Degreaser.

Bob

mwoywod
05-07-2017, 11:44 AM
McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity All Purpose Cleaner Plus 128 oz.
Cleans everything!

Use McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity All Purpose Cleaner Plus to clean virtually any automotive surface! Hi-Intensity All Purpose Cleaner Plus cleans vinyl and plastic interior surfaces, carpet and upholstery, tires, engines, leather, clear and colored plastics, and glass. McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity All Purpose Cleaner Plus can be diluted to tackle any job; one gallon of APC will make up to 11 gallons of ready-to-use all purpose cleaner! McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity All Purpose Cleaner Plus makes it possible to clean every surface with a single product.

Just wanted to tell you how awesome your APC cleaner is! I just ordered the two gallon combo from Auto Geek and wow I don't have to hold my breath when I use this cleaner. If you are looking for a new APC then look no further then Mckee's, this stuff has the power to cut through any dirty job. Look forward to trying more of your products! - Dustin D.

McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity APC Plus provides all the premium characteristics of a high-end all purpose cleaner at a much lower price. Formulated for the detail shop that uses APC like a race car uses gas, Hi-Intensity APC Plus is a versatile, cost-effective all purpose cleaner that you can rely on to clean almost every automotive surface.

McKee's 37 Hi Intensity APC Plus makes up to 39 bottles of ready to use all purpose cleaner

McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity APC Plus forgoes harsh chemicals that are harmful to you and the environment and instead relies on smart chemistry. McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity APC Plus is strong enough to remove grease from engine bays, yet gentle enough to clean fine leather upholstery at the proper dilution ratio. McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity APC Plus leaves behind a fresh citrus fragrance inside the vehicle.

"McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity APC Plus will not leave surfaces sticky, regardless of the dilution ratio. When a powerful cleaner is needed for engines, tires, and fender wells – dilute 4:1. For light to moderate dirt and grime inside the vehicle, dilute 10:1. Feel free to play chemist in your detail shop and experiment with the dilution ratios! No matter the dilution, McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity APC Plus will not leave a film on the surface."

McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity All Purpose Cleaner Plus (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-apc-plus.html)

Mckee's 37 Hi-Intensity APC just like all the McKee's products rely on safety.

This APC does not leave a residue behind. So that means you can wipe off without rinsing.

Good chemistry went into formulating this APC. And it is not harmful to your or your environment.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

I appreciate the response and while I love Mckee's High Intensity APC+ this is something I would like to trust but verify and like fightnews mentioned, I was assumed to be an armchair chemist and didn't meet the requirements I needed to be privy to it's SDS sheets. I'd like to know if it contains butyl, d-limonene, or other possible irritants because like D101 it will make the people around me cough when sprayed in their vicinity. Like the old proverb elicits, "Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't"

mwoywod
05-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Agree. If you're breathing spray mist some sort of mask sounds like a good idea. OPC doesn't have any butyl in it, it has glycol ether. I believe Dr. G commented on that at one time that he didn't use butyl compounds for safety reasons, I don't remember if he was referring to vehicle safety or personnel safety.

Thank you Sectec and GSKR, it seems like OPC is the best option and I've found it is still very effective when diluted 10:1 for interiors and 5:1 for exteriors. While I may have to stick with OPC for everything. If anyone else has an opinion on 3D APC or 3D Orange Degreaser or any other cleaner. The 3D cleaners don't have butyl or glycol but that doesn't mean they are safe. I just read the SDS sheet for CG All Clean+ and it does have ethylene glycol in it and it's NFPA health rating is a 2 which is still better than D101 or D108, which may or may not mean it's safer for me than any other cleaner but I appreciate the suggestion cleanmycorolla

mwoywod
05-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Really effective APC/Degreasers usually
contain "hot" chemicals---some of which
can cause varying degrees of sensitivities
to humans---both short and long term.

Note:
"If the Lord is willing...and the Creek
don't rise"...I can let you know more
about their long term affects in a few
short years.

With that in mind, here lately...
I've been using the following two 303
products as my APC/Degreaser without
experiencing any onset: coughing spells,
skin redness, headaches...and other types
of overpowering surfactant, and other
chemicals, related maladies.

•303 Multi-Surface Cleaner
•303 Marine Citrus Cleaner & Degreaser.

Bob

Thank you bob, I've seen you suggest the two cleaners and will give them a shot. It's too bad AG doesn't sell the citrus based cleaner by the gallon

Klasse Act
05-07-2017, 01:33 PM
OP, check out ECO TOUCH products 👈

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

willowcat11
05-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Joe, Thankyou for the Great wrote up man!

I know that the M37 High intensity is made to be diluted for different surfaces.

Say, for instance, you diluted it properly to be used on interior Vinyl and other other interior surfaces.

How would this then compare to MCKEE'S 37 TOTAL INTERIOR CLEANER?
Do they each use a different chemical makeup?

I here that the TOTAL INTERIOR CLEANER only uses Surfacants. But I'm guessing the M37 uses different chemicals.

Thanks man!

Ray

Mantilgh
05-07-2017, 02:32 PM
3D's Orange 88 Degreaser works really well and is what got me hooked on cleaners with orange oils in them.

I was never really impressed by caustic cleaners as degreasers and always disliked strong petroleum based ones.

The addition of the orange solvent definitely makes them more effective while still being "seemingly" safe.

I used Orange 88 for a little while as my heavy interior cleaner at 4:1, and I don't believe that it was causing any damage.

I have another highly concentrated D-Limonene cleaner, but I have to be careful of what ratio I use and the surface that I use it on.

Setec Astronomy
05-07-2017, 08:08 PM
Thank you Sectec and GSKR, it seems like OPC is the best option and I've found it is still very effective when diluted 10:1 for interiors and 5:1 for exteriors. While I may have to stick with OPC for everything.

Just to close the loop on that, if you join the Optimum forum they have a section where you can download all the MSDS's. Or I'm sure a call or email will get it quickly. It's very easy to get MSDS sheets from Meguiar's, Optimum, 3D, Duragloss (their MSDS page isn't working so I just emailed them about it). You don't have to pass a test or anything. Quite different from the PBMG brands or say Poorboy's.