PDA

View Full Version : Singin (and paint coating) in the Rain!

andy0902
05-06-2017, 08:25 PM
So I started a 2 step correction on my Sapphire Black Metallic 2013 BMW 650iX today. It is my daily driver and I was very happy with the results of Menz 400 and 3500. I did a lot of rock chip repair previously and with the Flex I feel like I got 90% correction leaving only some RIDS on the hood. It was partly cloudy here in Central Ohio, but my phone insisted that it would not rain. I just did the hood, front bumper and front fenders today. I was applying McKee's 37 paint coating and all of a sudden there were rain drops on the hood. Not much, but it wet the hood. I was in the middle of wiping on the coating. I panicked, then I took a deep breath, then I panicked again. I got the car under cover and finished.

I can't tell yet what it looks like, in the garage it looks fine, but I know some water mixed in with the coating in a few areas.

Is this a problem?
Can I just coat over areas that were wet when the coating was being applied?
Should I buff off the coating and start over?

Thanks for any input you have.

kevincwelch
05-06-2017, 08:50 PM
I recommend patience.

Since it is your car, see how it looks after the cure period and examine those at risk areas under various lights from multiple angles. Decide if you need to redo it then. What you need to do depends on how it looks. If there are high spots or faded-looking areas, you may have to polish and reapply.

(Sent via my mobile device...)

andy0902
05-07-2017, 08:11 AM
I recommend patience

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Thanks for the reply. Patience is not my strong suit, LOL

andy0902
05-07-2017, 03:25 PM
So it was streaked pretty badly. I re-polished and applied again today and all is well. No more paint coating when there are clouds in the sky.

mwoolfso
05-07-2017, 10:15 PM
you can always repolish the affected areas and recoat