PDA

View Full Version : Start of clear coating failure?

Jester2893
05-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Hey guys so I'm correcting my car it's a 2013 Audi s5 (brilliant black), I was doing a test spot (see below) with fg400 and an orange pad, about 5 passes and this is what I'm left with. 80% or so "corrected" but these little pin holes are left. I'm 99% sure its start of clear coating failing, however I'm not sure how to proceed. As of right now the test spot looks about 80% "corrected" and could use something more aggressive, however if it's the start of clear coat issue I should not go more aggressive? I don't have the funds to get it painted just yet, so I want to continue with the correction and serum lite and exo 2 coatings so Im not sure if I should just continue as plan with the fg400 and orange and then 4000 with a black pad.

Rsurfer
05-05-2017, 07:10 PM
Did the FG400 seem to help and did the pad turn black? Unusual for a 4 year old Audi paint to fail.

Jester2893
05-05-2017, 07:13 PM
Did the FG400 seem to help and did the pad turn black? Unusual for a 4 year old Audi paint to fail.

There was a clear bra on the car previously that's the only thing I could think of that could of caused some reaction?

The FG400 helped the swirls, but idk if it helped the pin holes or back I removed some issues it just made the pin holes more visible..if that makes sense.

Also discolored pad whatso ever (it was a brand new one as well)

Kevin845
05-05-2017, 07:27 PM
What prep work was done prior to FG400 and the orange pad. Both are fairly aggressive so if a clear bra was there curious why that aggressive. I agree with rsufer, pretty early for clear coat failure but anything is possible.

Mantilgh
05-05-2017, 07:28 PM
It doesn't really sound/look like clear coat failure.

Did you buy it used?

If so does it show any signs of a repaint besides this?

Unless it's just like that on the front end and it been sand blasted from road debris.

Jester2893
05-05-2017, 07:32 PM
What prep work was done prior to FG400 and the orange pad. Both are fairly aggressive so if a clear bra was there curious why that aggressive. I agree with rsufer, pretty early for clear coat failure but anything is possible.

The clear bra was removed last year after purchasing the car and had swirls underneath it already.
The condition under my LED light definitely looked like it warranted the orange pad and fg400, I only have the fg 400,2500 and 4000 on hand.

Did you buy it used?

If so does it show any signs of a repaint?

Unless it's just like that on the front end and it been sand blasted from road debris.

The only spots like this are on the hood, it starts how more apparent on the lower hood and gets less noticeable towards the upper portion towards the windshield.

I'm really wondering if should just bite the bullet and get the hood painted and wait to do the coating so I'm not just putting a bandaid over it.

Kevin845
05-05-2017, 07:49 PM
I suspect that the clear bra masked the sand blasting and now all the small pits are filled with polish and now are more visible. FYI you are using great polishes.

Jester2893
05-05-2017, 08:02 PM
I suspect that the clear bra masked the sand blasting and now all the small pits are filled with polish and now are more visible. FYI you are using great polishes.

I was thinking the same thing, I'm potentially going to get a quote for paint on the hood and just put off correcting till I do so that way it'll be worthwhile.

Anyone know if you can use these coatings right after paint or does an outgassing rule still apply?

Pimpmobile
05-05-2017, 08:10 PM
just looks like tiny paint chips rather than clear coat failure, just go easy on paint. If your in doubt about how much clear is left put a paint depth gauge on paint.

Jester2893
05-05-2017, 08:46 PM
just looks like tiny paint chips rather than clear coat failure, just go easy on paint. If your in doubt about how much clear is left put a paint depth gauge on paint.

Yea I'm torn with this dilemma I'm going to do the entire hood tomorrow in fg400 and finish it with white with 4000 and check the correction after sipping down the panel with some coating prep to see how noticeable the dots are. If I can get away with it for a year or two, it'll be worth putting the coating on.

chet31
05-06-2017, 11:05 PM
It looks like it's mostly on the leading edge of the hood, correct? It could just be small paint chips from road debris, can't totally tell from the pics. You're driving 70, the truck ahead of you kicks up a pebble, you have a chip. Some highways are worse than others. Totally normal, and you can't buff them out. My hood has some battle damage also.

GSKR
05-07-2017, 06:22 AM
Hey guys so I'm correcting my car it's a 2013 Audi s5 (brilliant black), I was doing a test spot (see below) with fg400 and an orange pad, about 5 passes and this is what I'm left with. 80% or so "corrected" but these little pin holes are left. I'm 99% sure its start of clear coating failing, however I'm not sure how to proceed. As of right now the test spot looks about 80% "corrected" and could use something more aggressive, however if it's the start of clear coat issue I should not go more aggressive? I don't have the funds to get it painted just yet, so I want to continue with the correction and serum lite and exo 2 coatings so Im not sure if I should just continue as plan with the fg400 and orange and then 4000 with a black pad.

56977Im currently working on a 1993 Cadillac all ante with the same problem.you can check out the car on my fb page.The whole car was pitted so I told the owner need to be repainted.He didn't want to go that route.So I took the job and used several worn out abralon sanding disk on a da slow speed.Why use a worn out sanding process ,is because I didn't want to accelerate paint damage.After that McKees compound on wool slow speed then McKees on a microfiber disk with da then sonax proline polish.What a difference not a 100 percent but close to it.Today I will be coating it with Boyd's tru coat.pics available St Lucie auto spa.

Jester2893
05-07-2017, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the input everyone, while I am not sure if its clear coat failing or "solvent pop" in the base coat I am sure the problem won't go away. I went ahead with the correction as planned and happy with the results however not perfect, I coated it and will figure out the best course of action over the winter. (Probably a full hood repaint)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4193/34388665001_01096e0b88_o.jpg