PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Convertible Top Water Repellent? (one that actually lasts)

NewShockerGuy
05-05-2017, 08:19 AM
Need some help with some type of good water repellent for my wife's fabric convertible top on her Solara.

I've tried Raggtop and that was ok. The latest being 303 (which I normally LOVE 303 products btw). Did the cleaning and application per the instructions. It was great. Repealed the water for about two weeks. Nothing sank or got saturated and it was nice little water droplets just floating on the fabric top. Now it's pouring and the fabric top is saturated again.

Is there a product that last for more than a couple rainfalls? I'm at a total loss as to what else to try? It's going to get annoying super fast if I have to pay $14 every few weeks to get the 303 fabric guard just to repel water.

Thanks,
-Nigel

Mantilgh
05-05-2017, 09:12 AM
I have not tried it, but CarPro makes a fabric protector too.

CarPro Cquartz Fabric Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/fabric-leather-coating.html)

Eldorado2k
05-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Is it true that new convertibles these days come with a waterproofing sealed into the top from the factory? How long does that typically last?

FUNX650
05-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Is it true that new convertibles these
days come with a waterproofing sealed
into the top from the factory?

As to how the convertible fabric's chemical
treatment (applied during its manufacturing
processes) now affects the water-behavior of,
or upon, my fairly new (2015) Haartz convertible
top---as it came from the assembly plant:

Water-proof...No.
Water-repellant/water-resistant...Yes.

How long does that typically last?

It varies.

Consider that the same factors that
affect the longevity of other car-care
products can also be applied here.

Bob

chet31
05-06-2017, 11:24 PM
Hmm, I use 303 once each Spring and it's still beading water when I re-apply the following Spring, bad batch? My technique is I wet the top, use a soft large paint brush to apply the fabric cleaner, let dwell for 5 minutes, agitate it some more. Then I rinse with soft water from my taps, then a final rinse with a gallon of distilled water. I use a microfiber drying towel to pick up most of the water. The top dries in 3-4 hours. I do an ONR wash of my car while I'm waiting since the car is wet anyway. Then I use a paint brush again to apply the 303 Protectant. I make sure the top is well-saturated with protectant, don't even use half a bottle. Let sit overnight, and I'm good to go. I do all this in my garage, BTW, garage floors dry pretty fast. Good luck.

GSKR
05-07-2017, 06:29 AM
[QUOTE=Mantilgh;1488596]I have not tried it, but CarPro makes a fabric protector too.

CarPro Cquartz Fabric Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/fabric-leather-coating.html)[/QUOTEGreat stuff .If my memory serves me correct gyeon make a nice product.

FrankS
05-07-2017, 07:42 AM
I haven't used it myself but I heard Gtechniq Smart Fabric is very good.