PDA

View Full Version : Is the coating applicator supposed to squeak?

TheAverageMan
05-04-2017, 09:07 PM
I applied Uber ceramic coating yesterday and followed all the steps. The paint was sterile as can be with essence. When I started applying the coating with the supplied applicator, it was super squeaky. Is it supposed to be that squeaky? It sounded likebI was marring the hell out of the paint, and I wasnt even applying pressure.

Typerx
05-04-2017, 09:36 PM
Optimum coatings are squeaky so it wouldn't surprise me if Uber's is as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimmyH5
05-05-2017, 05:08 AM
I've had the same squeaking using 37 paint coating as well as Opti-coat; good question as I've wondered if I had enough product on applicator or if not... but never had an issue other than noise... assuming you still see product being applied I wouldn't be too concerned.

Setec Astronomy
05-05-2017, 05:59 AM
A round yellow foam applicator? If it's squeaking a lot that's usually an indication you need more product on it. I don't like using those applicators anymore, they absorb too much product.

GSKR
05-05-2017, 06:46 AM
Eggcrate is what I use no grabbing or squeaks and spreads like butter.

idriveblackcars
05-05-2017, 06:54 AM
Is the applicator too hard? That can also cause noise.

Setec Astronomy
05-05-2017, 07:32 AM
Eggcrate is what I use no grabbing or squeaks and spreads like butter.

Oh yeah, I forgot about you mentioning that previously. Does anybody ever use the CarPro applicators that have the thin black foam just that way, without the suede cloth?

Crispy
05-05-2017, 04:37 PM
I use the yellow applicator that looks like a fat 8.

It has a dense soft black foam on the business side.

This doesn't absorb product and doesn't squeak.

Use it for all coatings.

mike33175
05-05-2017, 09:10 PM
Have a picture or link to this applicator?

spazzz
05-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about you mentioning that previously. Does anybody ever use the CarPro applicators that have the thin black foam just that way, without the suede cloth?

I used a smaller blue block I got from detail king for Opti-lens and it worked great that way.

Just rinsing the orange CarPro out after completing should work to save it. Those little suedes do absorb a lot and seem to waste enough too.
In theory the block applicators, with no 4 x 4 suede, would be the perfect solution for no waste

kevincwelch
05-06-2017, 11:00 AM
Setec-

I use the "carpro" block and mf suede for all coatings now, including WG Uber. I have left over ones from DLUX and from Gyeon that I use over and over. I bought some large 16 inch x 16 inch mf suede towels from another company and cut them down to 4"x4" squares. They work really well, but once you cut them, you have to shake them a bit to rid yourself of the loosened fibers. After that, I started using some pinking shears that my wife uses for cutting cloth. That cut down on the fiber loss.

Setec Astronomy
05-06-2017, 11:26 AM
Setec-

I use the "carpro" block and mf suede for all coatings now, including WG Uber.

Because I've never used CQuartz or Gyeon, and only recently tried DLux and used my usual Scott blue shop towels for that, I kind of zoned out the CarPro block and when I saw ADS selling coating applicators with the thin foam, I bought some without even realizing it was basically the CarPro applicator without the suede. They (ADS) seem to be selling them to use without the suede, just wondered if anybody had done that; I haven't used them yet.