PDA

View Full Version : Point me in the right direction

Splashw4
05-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Hey guys and and gals I have a 2017 Black Dodge Charger Scat Pack. I try to take really good care of it, I have everything from your basic Wal-Mart items to items bought from Chemical Guys and Auto Geek, like Pinnacle Souverän Paste Wax, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, and Klasse All-In-One Polish, I wash and wax every week. I guess my questions are

1) am I waxing to much
2) can someone recommend other good products that's good for daily driver.
3) can I buy a buffer/polisher and use this or will this only create swirl marks

I'm not new to cleaning my cars but I am new to trying to do it the right way I really appreciate all the help. Thanks here's a few pics

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

MattPersman
05-04-2017, 07:57 PM
First off nice car !

1. There are different waxes out there. Some only last like a week. Some are called waxes but more synthetic sealant type products. They will last longer than a week typically. Too much really is up to you. If you enjoy it then once is week is just right. The first car I had I really liked it was a camaro over 20 years ago I washed and waxed that every day in the summer. So I get it.

2. Lots of good stuff for daily drivers. Spray sealant and waxes are nice cause they are convenient. All in one or cleaner waxes work well too on daily drivers cause you get road film and they do some cleaning of you paint with added protection.

3. Something like the Griot's garage 6 inch DA would be a good starter polisher. You could run something like HD speed or mckees AIO on it with no concerns. Top it with mckees fast wax, Rupes P808, menzerna power lock. The list goes on

It's all about enjoying yourself and you have to decide how often you want to do things to the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottH
05-04-2017, 08:41 PM
1) am I waxing to much
Yes and no. Yes if your concern is the longevity of the wax. Depending on conditions, Souverän can/will last 2-3 months (or longer). So if you are waxing every week out of concern that your car needs waxing, then yes you are waxing too much. In such a case, you might consider a high quality spray wax after each wash and back off on waxing to once a month? It will add protection, gloss and act as a drying aid to minimize swirls. However, if you are waxing it once a week out of enjoyment and for the pleasure of it, then no you are not waxing too much. Just bear in mind that there is a point of diminishing returns, and the more often you "touch the paint" the greater the risk of induces swirls, defects etc.

2) can someone recommend other good products that's good for daily driver.
Consider a good paint sealant like Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Sealant or McKees Hi Def Paint Sealant. Unlike a natural wax, its a synthetic product that generally has greater durability. You can apply either of these paint sealants twice a year, cut back on the waxing to 4-6 times a year, and use a spray wax after each wash and have a spectacular looking car.

3) can I buy a buffer/polisher and use this or will this only create swirl marks
Used properly, a polisher will remove swirl marks, not induce them. A Porter Cable 7424XP is very easy for a beginner as is a Griot's GG6 (and has more power than the 7424).

ScottH

Splashw4
05-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys for the great info, and yes i only wax out of enjoyment. I think right now my car looks really good but the more I rad and watch on car detailing I just keep thinking there is something out there I'm missing to give it that real wet glossy look, everyone claims their product is better than the other guys. I would like to purchase a buffer/polisher I've just heard you shouldn't use one until you have to. I will definitely check out the products that have been recommended. And thanks again!!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

VISITOR
05-04-2017, 09:29 PM
1. you shouldn't have to re-wax that often.
2. if you do enjoy waxing use an AIO like mckee's 37 360, griots finishing sealant, hd speed are a few good ones. they will help clean the paint, remove minor defects, and will lay down some protection. you can always top it after each or every other wash with a spray wax if you desire.
3. if you don't machine polish your paint will never reach it's fullest potential and i would suggest purchasing a DA like the GG6. don't be scared, they are safe to use and deliver excellent results with the right pads, products, and of course technique. maybe there's a member close by that can let you try their's out if you list what city/state you live in...