PDA

View Full Version : a few ?'s related to rim sealants and iron x pls

Toolhead
05-04-2017, 05:21 PM
IRONX question:

does iron x remove sealant? ie.. WG DGPS?
i am going to be paint correcting a swirled out black 4runner and thought about ironx a weekend ahead of the actual process.. to save time during the hard days, polishing etc..
there is still sealant on the 4runner . if ironx removes sealant .. i will probably wait to ironx the weekend of the paint correction.

RIM Sealant Question:

rim sealant.. can i use WG DGPS on clear coat rims?
if this is not a recommended wheel sealant.. any suggestions that would pair up well with WG DGPS which will be applied to the rest of the 4runner..?

Rsurfer
05-04-2017, 05:48 PM
IRONX question:

does iron x remove sealant? ie.. WG DGPS?Some if not most.
i am going to be paint correcting a swirled out black 4runner and thought about ironx a weekend ahead of the actual process.. to save time during the hard days, polishing etc..
there is still sealant on the 4runner . if ironx removes sealant .. i will probably wait to ironx the weekend of the paint correction.Removing the sealant one week prior to polishing should not hurt the paint.

RIM Sealant Question:

rim sealant.. can i use WG DGPS on clear coat rims? Yes
if this is not a recommended wheel sealant..A coating like Car Pro Dlux would be more durable than a sealant. any suggestions that would pair up well with WG DGPS which will be applied to the rest of the 4runner..?Doing a black 4Runner is a lot of work. Hope your not planning on polishing this beast in one day.

Toolhead
05-04-2017, 06:28 PM
tks man...yeah.. im already mapping out the timeline

heres my draft plan/ timeline.. probably break up over 2 weekends ..or just take a few days off and run throughout it on a 4 day weekend bender..

day 1 : wash/ iron x/ clay with nanoskin towel if required, seal rims
day 2: WG swirl remover
day 3: WG finishing glaze
day 4: WG sealant
day 5: ps21 carnuba wax

2012 camry white, took me 4 days, this was my first time full paint correction with flex 3401.

ive hand detailed mothers 3 step system for many decades.. so familiar with the various steps... so the full day for each of the steps was a bit of a surprise..but now i know the process, duration and whats involved.

hopefully the 4 runner can get knocked out in 4 days... but ill budget 5 days

all that being said.. i did analyze the paint surface area of the 4 runner, relative to the camry and it seems like the camry actually has more paint surface..

that being said as well.. im well aware that the height of the 4 runner im working with will make the topside more difficult/ reaching / arm strain etc..

hopefully the height will tilt back in my favor on the lower panels, given it will be easier to work with as the height will be an advantage with the bottom of the body being higher off the ground

maybe ill get lucky and not have to clay..but that probably wont happen.. *sigh*

Rsurfer
05-04-2017, 07:06 PM
tks man...yeah.. im already mapping out the timeline

heres my draft plan/ timeline.. probably break up over 2 weekends ..or just take a few days off and run throughout it on a 4 day weekend bender..

day 1 : wash/ iron x/ clay with nanoskin towel if required, seal rims
day 2: WG swirl remover
day 3: WG finishing glaze
day 4: WG sealant
day 5: ps21 carnuba wax

2012 camry white, took me 4 days, this was my first time full paint correction with flex 3401.

ive hand detailed mothers 3 step system for many decades.. so familiar with the various steps... so the full day for each of the steps was a bit of a surprise..but now i know the process, duration and whats involved.

hopefully the 4 runner can get knocked out in 4 days... but ill budget 5 days

all that being said.. i did analyze the paint surface area of the 4 runner, relative to the camry and it seems like the camry actually has more paint surface..

that being said as well.. im well aware that the height of the 4 runner im working with will make the topside more difficult/ reaching / arm strain etc..

hopefully the height will tilt back in my favor on the lower panels, given it will be easier to work with as the height will be an advantage with the bottom of the body being higher off the ground

maybe ill get lucky and not have to clay..but that probably wont happen.. *sigh*

No way does the Camry have more paint surface than the 4Runner. The Camry is like a compact car compared to the 4Runner.

Have you given any thoughts to using a paint coating instead of a sealant?

Toolhead
05-04-2017, 08:11 PM
that is what i thought..BUT i analyzed both this past weekend as the daunting black 4runner project is approaching.. im waiting for my paint gauge to arrive ..given it is new.. i figured id premeasure the paint so i can satisfy my OCD and measure the paint from the initial paint correction.

eyeballing both.. surprisingly to my eye.. the actual paint surface seems to be more on the camry .. taking these factors into account.

4runner body is longer yes..but has much more glass.. rear privacy glass in the truck. the hood of the 4runner is shorter and narrower and the front quarter panels are smaller/ shorter and much more narrow..
the fenders seem to be smaller and the doors actually seem to be narrower than the camry..

then you look at the liftgate of the 4runner.. has a lot of glass..not much paint surface.. comparison to the camry..which has the trunk top.. backside side and the camry has a lot of body effects.. whereas the 4runner does not..

i was surprised when i eyeballed both and noticed that related to actual paint surface.. if measured.. may be equitable.. of course i have to deal with the roof of the 4runner with the rails etc.. which are gona be a pia

and then there's the front grille of the 4runner...gona be some hand muscle burning..given the nooks and crannies of that intricate nose design..

which begs the question..as im gona have to hand polish some areas.

should i be following the same 6-8 section pass process with WG polish / swirl remover when using by hand?..

in my head .. i think that hand polishing with the WG product.. i obviously will not break down the abrasives like the flex would after 6 passes..

is the hand polishing sections ..basically best effort with 6-8 section passes and then move on?

Toolhead
05-04-2017, 08:13 PM
oh and yes.. i have recently started researching the ceramic coatings..but given im just starting and bought the WG DGPS and the other WG steps.. i figure i start out with this kit for the first corrections on all the cars.. and see how they hold up while i research the ceramic coatings a bit more..