PDA

View Full Version : How do I de rattle a car?

BSGCORP
11-30-2007, 12:36 PM
A couple weeks ago I was driving a rental car for about a week and the only thing that better about a 07 Malibu then my 02 sentra se-r is the lack of road noise in the malibu. My car makes different sounds for the different types of bumps it goes over mostly in the front end it sounds like plastic parts are bouncing around. I plan on digging into it and obviously tighten things up but besides that does any one have any suggestions on how to mute the annoying shaking sounds and rattles that come from cars?

Thanks

Surfer
11-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Shakes and rattles, depending on condition of car not much you can do, interior panels, consoles etc will eventually start to rattle as over time. If your hearing funny rubbing/squeeking sounds from the front going over bumps, check anything with bushings (axle bushings, control arms etc). Shocks as well, but especially on our trucks the bushings are the cause for noise.

You can try dynomatting or using other foam filler products that can spray inside panels if you dare so. I had an irritating rattle comming from my window in my truck. Finally tore the door apart and got inside and tracked it down to a slight space/bend in the metal that guides the windows when up/down from something.. Cut a piece from a stick felt pad and stuck it in so felt rubs the window, no more rattle. Drove me nutz on trips lol.

lgtspecb
11-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Both of my cars are brand new and rattle free, so I have never tried it, but I recently heard that double sided tape is the magic cure.

Isolating where the rattle is coming from can be very difficult, but once you do try to get a small piece of tape between the panels. If you cannot get it in there just pop the panel off and tape it up.

Dynomatting will not remove rattles, but it will greatly improve road noise. You can put it on your doors, around the entire trunk, under the carpet, anywhere. It is amazing how much it quites things done.