PDA

View Full Version : Any coatings besides Mckees that can be applied outdoors?

MrOneEyedBoh
05-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Ive been reading a lot here lately about coatings and most seem to flash within 3-5 minutes under spring/early summer temps. McKees is pretty fast, but declining coating life as seen on the forums isnt setting well. What Im wondering is that I dont have a garage and Id be applying it outdoors. With pollen, fallout etc thats always in the air, can they still be applied safely and bond properly outdoors? What about the natural dew that forms on cars from night to morning, would that affect the coatings process at bonding? Basically is there a "best" coating to be used outdoors and not applied in a garage. Id assume some of our veteran mobile detailers have something to say...

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I think they can all be applied outdoors. Most coatings pretty much bond instantly to the paint, and they are so thin that even if you have pollen on the surface, it's not going to "trap" the pollen, like if it was clearcoat. I mean, obviously, it's not ideal to have pollen all over the car, but if you wipe each panel before you coat, I pretty much guarantee it's going to flash and bond before any significant pollen falls on it.

Maybe my head's not screwed on right now, and maybe I haven't used enough different brands, but 3-5 minutes sounds way too long to flash. Opti-Lens seems to be the slowest and I think 3 minutes would be way too long to wait for a wipe unless it's 40 degrees out. I think the fastest flash was the DG coating, believe it or not, the first time I used it was just a little test spot and I turned around to put the bottle down and I already had a sticky high spot that I almost couldn't get off.

MrOneEyedBoh
05-03-2017, 12:25 PM
Hmm. Well thanks lol. Im going to be applying it to my f250. Its a crew cab short bed, so its a bit large, and Id definitely wipe down prior to each panel... I have D114 and Eraser.

JeffM
05-03-2017, 02:10 PM
I do my trucks with CQUK outside. Do it on a really calm day, UK likes it to be cool out low humidity. Wipes right off.

MrOneEyedBoh
05-03-2017, 04:46 PM
I could always use cquartz too... I know UK likes the cool weather. Why CQUK vs Cquartz?

Octopiston
05-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Pinnacle Black Label goes on just like Mckees.

MattPersman
05-04-2017, 05:22 AM
You can typically see high spots better outside anyways unless you have a great indoor lighting set up

Most flash awfully fast. Like setec said. Many a pretty darn near wipe on wipe off it's the full curing that takes days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk