PDA

View Full Version : Paste Wax and Electric Polisher Pad (Solution)

Route246
05-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Problem: Paste wax can is too small to spread wax onto your 5" DA pad. I read through the threads and some people suggested cutting the bristles short on a small paint brush, others suggested a putty knife. These are all fine ideas. But, I got to thinking, why not use a shoe polish brush?

Retail in the US they are $5-$10 each. Wood handle, horse hair and designed to spread polish on fine leather. Too expensive, I said to myself.

I searched Ebay with something like "horse hair shoe polish brush" and within the results you can see many off-shore sellers (China, Hong Kong, etc.) with good seller reputations and brushes that can be had for less than $1.50 with free postage.

I just placed an order for 5 of these at $1.35 each, total $6.75, free shipping, 100% safe, PayPal and Ebay guaranteed. You get your money back if it never shows up and you file a dispute.

I don't plan to use these on fine leather, nor do I care if the bristles fall out, I'm just looking for something to efficiently spread paste wax onto my 5" foam pads without making a mess and without wasting product. Besides, at $1.35 each, throw one away and use a new one if the bristles break down, or find a different seller on Ebay and try again.

I have three cans paste wax now but you know how it goes. I suspect some of you hardcore guys have many cans. Maybe five of these won't be enough. :-)

custmsprty
05-02-2017, 09:10 PM
I use a small putty knife. Too much wax will be lost and wasted in those bristles.

Route246
05-02-2017, 09:24 PM
Putty knife gouges the paste when I tried it. Makes it uneven, doesn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

custmsprty
05-02-2017, 09:27 PM
I have a butter knife styled putty knife, it's rounded on the end. I basically use it to butter the pad with wax, it takes very little and I use very little to do a vehicle.

Route246
05-02-2017, 09:35 PM
I see. I was using a square knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyJack
05-03-2017, 06:40 AM
I keep an expired credit card or two on my detailing cart just for spreading wax.

Bill

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2017, 06:54 AM
I have a butter knife styled putty knife, it's rounded on the end. I basically use it to butter the pad with wax, it takes very little and I use very little to do a vehicle.

I see. I was using a square knife.

You need one of those mayonnaise things they use in the deli:

https://www.sharpteksupply.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/24584/s/bar-maid-cr-925/?zmam=25112989&zmas=1&zmac=8&zmap=1371390-CR-925&gclid=CLXS17bU09MCFc-Kswodbh0J1w

https://d17u1h4pee53w6.cloudfront.net/products/1000/spatula-spreader.jpg

fightnews
05-03-2017, 07:01 AM
Problem: Paste wax can is too small to spread wax onto your 5" DA pad. I read through the threads and some people suggested cutting the bristles short on a small paint brush, others suggested a putty knife. These are all fine ideas. But, I got to thinking, why not use a shoe polish brush?

Retail in the US they are $5-$10 each. Wood handle, horse hair and designed to spread polish on fine leather. Too expensive, I said to myself.

I searched Ebay with something like "horse hair shoe polish brush" and within the results you can see many off-shore sellers (China, Hong Kong, etc.) with good seller reputations and brushes that can be had for less than $1.50 with free postage.

I just placed an order for 5 of these at $1.35 each, total $6.75, free shipping, 100% safe, PayPal and Ebay guaranteed. You get your money back if it never shows up and you file a dispute.

I don't plan to use these on fine leather, nor do I care if the bristles fall out, I'm just looking for something to efficiently spread paste wax onto my 5" foam pads without making a mess and without wasting product. Besides, at $1.35 each, throw one away and use a new one if the bristles break down, or find a different seller on Ebay and try again.

I have three cans paste wax now but you know how it goes. I suspect some of you hardcore guys have many cans. Maybe five of these won't be enough. :-)

I just take the pad off the machine, scrunch it up and stick it in there. I do it all the time with my synergy can it works great

wolfpacker92
05-03-2017, 07:02 AM
I have found over the years that most waxes will actually come out of the container in one solid piece. I'll lay out some wax paper and turn the container over and shake it until the whole wax block comes out. Then with gloves on I'll spread the wax over the pad similar to applying deodorant, LOL (actually got the idea because back in the day Griots used to have a wax that came in a deodorant type container). Once I'm done the whole block slides right back into the container. You waste almost no product whatsoever doing it this way.

fightnews
05-03-2017, 07:08 AM
I just take the pad off the machine, scrunch it up and stick it in there. I do it all the time with my synergy can it works great

U guys are making it to complicated. I can stick a 6 inch pad into the tiny synergy can no problem. It's just foam

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2017, 07:13 AM
I have found over the years that most waxes will actually come out of the container in one solid piece. I'll lay out some wax paper and turn the container over and shake it until the whole wax block comes out. Then with gloves on I'll spread the wax over the pad similar to applying deodorant, LOL (actually got the idea because back in the day Griots used to have a wax that came in a deodorant type container). Once I'm done the whole block slides right back into the container. You waste almost no product whatsoever doing it this way.

Yeah, except for the metal wax cans with the lip, that works for the plastic jars with the screw tops. By the way, an Autopia member with the screen name Eliot Ness invented that "wax stick" and then Griot's came out with it later.

https://www.autopia.org/forums/detailing-product-reviews/20232-collinite-speed-stick-wax.html?highlight=deodorant

Jerry0
05-03-2017, 09:22 AM

That's what I thought too until I tried Blackfire midnight sun ivory carnuba. It was as hard as candle wax and was not going to come out of that jar. I even tried heating it with a hot blow dryer. No luck. I'm going with the little spatula or shoe polish brush next.

andy0902
05-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Pinnacle Souverain slides nicely out of the can and I can just hold it upside down and rub some on the pad. Easy Breezy!

DScherer14
05-03-2017, 12:06 PM
You need one of those mayonnaise things they use in the deli:

https://www.sharpteksupply.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/24584/s/bar-maid-cr-925/?zmam=25112989&zmas=1&zmac=8&zmap=1371390-CR-925&gclid=CLXS17bU09MCFc-Kswodbh0J1w

https://d17u1h4pee53w6.cloudfront.net/products/1000/spatula-spreader.jpg

Hey that's CUTCO cutlery! That DD edge is razor sharp so you can cut through your pad and not even notice it. I would get a cheap one with no edge lol. I sell CUTCO so I know. Also, this is $69 haha. Sandwich machine! Customers love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)