PDA

View Full Version : New car, first detail. Need advice on using Nanoskin autoscrub

squelchy451
05-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Hi everyone, I've traded in my old car for a 2014 GTI. The paint looks reasonably well taken care of. No major defects, a bit of swirl marks, but the white hides it well.

I'll be taking some time this weekend to do a quick detail--2 bucket wash, clay, cleaner wax, and top off with Mother's Synthetic.

For the clay, I got my hands on a set of Nanoskin autoscrub clay sponges. I might go with the fine grade, because I'll be doing a more thorough detail later when I have more time and heard some bad tales about the sponge marring the paint. I've heard VW has harder paint than the average and I'll be sure to use plenty of clay lube.

I've never seen such a polarizing product as the Nanoskin clay sponges. Either you never go back to traditional clay bars or people chuck them in the bin after one unsatisfactory use. When used on harder paint and with plenty of lube, is it worth using? Or should I just go with a clay bar?

Clay bars aren't exactly cheap ($10 for 2-3 details) but at the same time I'd rather spend that money than spending time and effort to remove whatever marring occurs.

fightnews
05-02-2017, 01:22 PM
I think I'm done with synthetic clay. I don't like the way it Mars the paint compared to regular clay and it doesn't even save much time

gizzsdad
05-02-2017, 01:23 PM
I have the Nanoskin fine mitt, and I have not used clay since. I simply wash each panel, rinse, and then "wash" it again using the NS mitt, which is soaking in it's own bucket of (generously mixed, for lubricity) fresh car wash soap.

I have never found any marring using this method.

fightnews
05-02-2017, 01:24 PM
I think the marring isn't as big a deal if you don't have black paint

mengelhardt
05-02-2017, 01:32 PM
I just used the nanoscrub sponges on my 2014 white truck. I don't think i'll ever go back to regular claying after this. I got the two pack of sponges with both the fine and medium, but ended up only needing/using the fine sponge on the truck. I used ONR diluted to a lubricant and didn't have any marring at all, unless the white just does a really good job of hiding it.

Really though, I thought it was way more enjoyable of a process than using clay. No turning/kneading the clay, no worries about dropping it, etc... was just a better method as far as I am concerned. I sprayed the panel I was working with my ONR lube and also had a bucket of ONR wash within easy reach. every couple minutes, just give the sponge a good rinse in the bucket of clean ONR and go back at it.... no turning the clay or kneading.

My white truck with all of its large body panels, shows every little speck of IFO, rail dust, sap, tar, bugs, etc... and the nanoscrub sponge removed every single bit of it with ease.

squelchy451
05-02-2017, 01:32 PM
I got mine for $5, I bought some aftermarket parts for my car and he just threw it in there. Since I have a white car, I think it won't be too bad. I might test it out on my brother's car--it's a darker gray and it's due a good polish anyway.

DetailKitty
05-02-2017, 01:47 PM
I have the Nanoskin fine mitt, and I have not used clay since. I simply wash each panel, rinse, and then "wash" it again using the NS mitt, which is soaking in it's own bucket of (generously mixed, for lubricity) fresh car wash soap.

I have never found any marring using this method.

THIS ^ and I use ONR in the water as well for extra lubrication. Works great :xyxthumbs: