PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle XMT Heavy and Intermediate Swirl remover question

oneheadlite
05-02-2017, 12:45 PM
In an order a while back I got a bottle each of Pinnacle XMT #4 Heavy Duty Swirl Remover (polishing compound) and #3 Intermediate Swirl Remover.

Wondering if anyone has any feedback on what to expect with these as far as aggressiveness or what they're like to work with? I don't see them listed in the store anymore. Trying to get a feel for where they'd fit in my current line up. So far I have all Griot's - Complete Compound, BOSS Correcting and Perfecting Creams. I'm considering my old Machine Polish 2 and 3 retired at this point.

I know the easy answer is just go try them; unfortunately it's hard enough to find time to work in a basic polishing session let alone try out a couple new bottles just for fun. I also have a limited number of pads, so I'd lose time having to clean them out and let them dry to start over.

Thanks!

damaged442
05-02-2017, 12:55 PM
I would say that the #4 is pretty aggressive. I used it on heavily oxidized paint. It did what I was hoping, but I wouldn't get it any where near decent paint! I followed up with the #3, hoping that would start to bring back some shine, but in my application, even that was pretty aggressive. I even had some #1 that left micromarring. I ended up finishing with XMT360 to get it where I finally was happy.

This was all used with a PC7424XP with 5.5" LC CCS pads. I bounced back and forth between orange and white to kind of experiment with everything.

One thing I liked about that product line, is everything smelled good...lol.

oneheadlite
05-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Thanks!

Just the kind of feedback I was hoping to get.

Think either of these would be a good fit for cleaning up headlights that are due for some love?

Mike Phillips
05-04-2017, 05:44 AM
In an order a while back I got a bottle each of Pinnacle XMT #4 Heavy Duty Swirl Remover (polishing compound) and #3 Intermediate Swirl Remover.

Wondering if anyone has any feedback on what to expect with these as far as aggressiveness or what they're like to work with? I don't see them listed in the store anymore. Trying to get a feel for where they'd fit in my current line up. So far I have all Griot's - Complete Compound, BOSS Correcting and Perfecting Creams. I'm considering my old Machine Polish 2 and 3 retired at this point.

I know the easy answer is just go try them; unfortunately it's hard enough to find time to work in a basic polishing session let alone try out a couple new bottles just for fun. I also have a limited number of pads, so I'd lose time having to clean them out and let them dry to start over.

Thanks!

I've used both for a couple of extreme makeovers...

The way I've explained the #4 Heavy Duty Swirl Remover is it's they type of product to have on hand when you have a paint job in bad shape that's really ready for a new paint job. It's fairly aggressive. You can feel the abrasives between your fingers unlike a lot of modern compounds.

I would also say that it uses older abrasive technology and won't finish out like many of the modern compounds on the market. For those of you that read a lot of my posts, you know I talk a lot about abrasive technology. There's great abrasive technology and then there's everything else. The XMT line falls into the category of everything else.

Here's the only project I can remember actually using the XMT line on and this car was going to not only get a new paint job but it actually received a total restoration from Wayne Carini.

1966 Mustang - Last Chance to Dance Extreme Makeover! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/63785-1966-mustang-last-chance-dance-extreme-makeover.html)

The above write-up actually shares lots of tips and techniques and how-to information not even related to the project. Check it out.

:)

Mike Phillips
05-04-2017, 05:45 AM
Think either of these would be a good fit for cleaning up headlights that are due for some love?

Yes.

Bot of these products would be good for buffing on headlights.

:)

oneheadlite
05-04-2017, 12:43 PM
Thank you sir!

I had a feeling it was older tech abrasives, hence how I got them as freebies with an order. Still totally cool getting them; since they just showed up in the box, you get that opening-presents-at-Christmas style surprise. Glad to hear I can still get some use out of them with ratty old headlights since I'm not planning on going that aggressive on any of my painted surfaces.