PDA

View Full Version : issues removing stains under trim and between badges

ascarbo27
05-02-2017, 10:36 AM
as the title says, when im giving a car a wash and wax I always run into the issue of not being able to remove the "gunk" in the badges and under trim its always black or brown. i have tried apc, soap, and ironx all with a soft brush. can never get it off, should i try the iron x tar removal? what do you do to remove it. customers dont notice it but i do

robwoodgto
05-02-2017, 09:10 PM
I will usually use a q-tip with a light polish (Meguiars Ultimate Polish), if really gunked up and not removed using the polish I will use Ultimate compound or M105, then once cleaned take a microfiber towel with a tiny amount of the UP and polish the area. I find this works better for me then using a brush.
Ron

Crispy
05-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Steamer or Tornador will work.

Cheaper way is spray APC and toothbrush and blow air.

ascarbo27
05-03-2017, 07:53 AM
i will definitely try this. and @crispy i dont have a steamer yet but that will be my next purchase.

Paul A.
05-03-2017, 08:44 AM
I have a round 1" paintbrush I use for this task. That and some APC during the wash step and be gentle. The APC should work on it to either soften it or loosen it a bit. I also like Tar X. A steamer would be ideal for this but I don't have one. I like the least aggressive factor of a steamer too...especially with emblems/badges.

Audios S6
05-03-2017, 09:04 AM
I have a round 1" paintbrush I use for this task. That and some APC during the wash step and be gentle. The APC should work on it to either soften it or loosen it a bit. I also like Tar X. A steamer would be ideal for this but I don't have one. I like the least aggressive factor of a steamer too...especially with emblems/badges.

The steamer can cause issues too by emulsifying the adhesive. I've never had an issue on newer cars, but on classics and older vehicles, it can be a problem if the badge is multiple pieces stacked up and glued.

Powerwheels
05-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Great info, my white truck was my first detail with a buffer and I have this exact issue.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk