PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Ruby Red GT350 Paint Decontamination, Paint Correction, Ceramic Seal

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

havasu486
05-01-2017, 12:10 PM
2017 Ruby Red GT350 Paint Decontamination, Paint Correction, Ceramic Seal are finally completed. Thanks to my great friend Roger, Klasse Act, for all his effort and advise.

A complete step by step process with pictures to follow..........

Klasse Act
05-01-2017, 12:36 PM
Your welcome Ted, can't wait to see all 3 phases of the pics! I'll add my pics once all of yours are loaded.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

WillSports3
05-01-2017, 01:50 PM
I'm excited to see the end result for this beautiful ride. Not just a Mustang but a gt350. And in ruby red. I'm glad you dont live near me, because with that car driving around I know my car won't get a second look haha.

rlmccarty2000
05-01-2017, 03:31 PM
That car will get speeding tickets standing still. Nice car!

havasu486
05-02-2017, 05:43 AM
I'm excited to see the end result for this beautiful ride. Not just a Mustang but a gt350. And in ruby red. I'm glad you dont live near me, because with that car driving around I know my car won't get a second look haha.

Thanks, I searched and searched, held out and found exactly what I wanted. Ford did this one right.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Klasse Act
05-02-2017, 05:44 AM
Pics???

havasu486
05-02-2017, 05:45 AM
That car will get speeding tickets standing still. Nice car!

Red, loud, and fast. Time for a ticket and tire budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

havasu486
05-02-2017, 10:14 AM
The car started out clean.

Note, the wheels were removed a few weeks previously, decontaminated, cleaned, and the Optimum Gloss-Coat Paint Coating was applied at that time.

havasu486
05-02-2017, 10:55 AM
On Friday the weather was dreary but I was able to complete the paint decontamination process before the rain.

First I utilized the Griot's Garage Iron and Fallout Remover. Normally I complete everything from top down but to avoid getting too much water on the lower panels of the car I went from the bottom up. I liberally sprayed the product to one panel at a time, waited three minutes, agitated the product with a soft sponge, waited until the product started to show signs of hazing which was previous to the recommended three minutes, and rinsed the panel well with a garden hose. This was completed top to bottom always keeping the thoroughly rinsed and wet.

Next I utilized a Griot's Garage Yellow Clay Bar Mitt while the car was still wet from the rinse. I also applied a mist of Griot's Garage Speed Shine. Once the car was completed I was disappointed with the feel of the paint after drying it. I followed with the Clay Bar Mitt and Speed Shine. The car felt better to the touch but I was very disappointed to find the paint failed the baggie test in a big way. I guess the paint on this new car was worse off than I imagined.

Finally I went old school. I broke out a new Pinnacle Clay Bar and utilized Pinnacle Clay Bar Lube on the entire car. Finally, the result I was wanting. The car was ready for paint correction.

(I attempted to post photos but technology is not my friend right now, I will keep trying later)

Klasse Act
05-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Chemical decon is never a be all end all, the clay bar/mit should always be followed up with. I'm surprised that on such a new car it failed the baggie test after iron remover and yellow Griots wipings. In the end, the clay bar finished off the task, a 3 part decon!

WillSports3
05-02-2017, 01:16 PM
I find sometimes when you use a QD as claylube with a claymitt or something, especially a finer one, the QD needs to be cut half half with water other wise it's too lubricating and won't get everything. Chemical decon will work IF your car is properly sealed with something durable enough like.. glosscoat or Cquartz UK. After winter, I felt a bunch of contaminants on my car but sprayed it down with fallout remover and washed it last month, paint is smooth as glass again. Nothing will protect against brake dust completely of course and that's what causes the roughness.

havasu486
05-02-2017, 08:10 PM
I find sometimes when you use a QD as claylube with a claymitt or something, especially a finer one, the QD needs to be cut half half with water other wise it's too lubricating and won't get everything. Chemical decon will work IF your car is properly sealed with something durable enough like.. glosscoat or Cquartz UK. After winter, I felt a bunch of contaminants on my car but sprayed it down with fallout remover and washed it last month, paint is smooth as glass again. Nothing will protect against brake dust completely of course and that's what causes the roughness.

The QD was used as a lube with water the first time. The second time it was used alone with the clay mitt.

havasu486
05-02-2017, 08:18 PM

The above photos are after the paint contamination on Friday evening.

WillSports3
05-02-2017, 10:07 PM
That looks amazing. Was the paint just that contaminated? Or was the mitt not aggressive enough to get everything?

Klasse Act
05-02-2017, 10:27 PM
That looks amazing. Was the paint just that contaminated? Or was the mitt not aggressive enough to get everything?
Well I didn't do that portion of the detail, the owner did but it had to be a combo of the mit and maybe what was used for clay lube. Ted said previously what he used but because it was so new and came right off of the showroom floor it's a head scratcher nonetheless [emoji12]