PDA

View Full Version : After polishing, you should wipe the panels prior to the lsp, right?

MrOneEyedBoh
05-01-2017, 08:20 AM
After you polish a panel shouldn't you give the panel a wipe with DuPont wax grease remover, a non glossing RW/WW etc? I see some people going from polishing to LSP, wouldn't that cause bonding issues? Especially for coatings, that is if each panel isn't wiped after polishing? Sure some lines of polish have a Polish to wax formula.

What do y'allall think?

zmcgovern45
05-01-2017, 08:24 AM
Follow the instructions on whatever LSP you are using...

A wax or sealant usually will not state that you need to wipe with any sort of prep solvent. You can reapply waxes and sealants after a simple wash if you desire.

Most coatings, however, will state that it is critical to remove all residual oils from the polishing process using a solvent (typically IPA) unless of course you are using a "primer polish" that is said to be compatible with whatever coating you are using.

ski2
05-01-2017, 08:39 AM
After polishing I've always wiped down with ONR before applying a sealant or wax and have never had any bonding issues. However, I'm switching to McKees 914 since it leaves nothing behind.

Paul A.
05-01-2017, 08:56 AM
I agree with Zack. the manufacturer of the LSP gives the best advice for using their product. If your not sure, many, if not all, have contact information to verify.

My approach has always been to remove any residual product after a machine step so as to effectively evaluate the results. Did those last passes work? For thicker or oilier products I always make sure I've left nothing behind that may mask the actual results. I do that not only on my test spots but each panel I work as well. For me this does 2 things: tells me how well (or not) it worked and leaves a clean surface for the LSP.

Desertnate
05-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Based on what I've seen/experienced I would absolutely use a panel cleaner when doing a coating, but not worry about it with a wax/sealant.

I've never done a panel wipe prior to wax/sealant application and never had any longevity issues.

MrOneEyedBoh
05-01-2017, 09:54 AM
Thanks. IM debating on what I want to do this year. Pollen is bad so its holding me off for a few more weeks/month until I cna really get to it anyway. I was going to use McKees paint coating but it seems to NOT be a winner. Cheap? Yeah... but longevity doesnt seem good.

Regardless, I was going to use somehting like N-914 or the Megs D114. It'll only take a few minutes to wipe a panel.

FUNX650
05-01-2017, 10:37 AM
I'm a proponent of: "follow the
Manufacturers' recommendations
for their LSPs' application"...(this
includes any prep-specificity).

Regardless,
I was going to use somehting
like N-914 or the Megs D114.

It'll only take a few minutes
to wipe a panel.
It'll take even less time to
potentially introduce some
type of marring to the freshly
polished paint surfaces.
No need to be imprudent.

Bob

MrOneEyedBoh
05-01-2017, 11:01 AM
Well those WW/RW's talk about no marring etc. So IMO if you're cleaning with them say to remove light dirt, pollen/weekly washes and there is almost no chance of marring then, Id assume there would be an even less chance of marring if using to remove polishes that remove marring.. no?

Eldorado2k
05-01-2017, 11:06 AM
Well those WW/RW's talk about no marring etc. So IMO if you're cleaning with them say to remove light dirt, pollen/weekly washes and there is almost no chance of marring then, Id assume there would be an even less chance of marring if using to remove polishes that remove marring.. no?

Wrong, because it's much safer to wipedown a vehicle once it has a fresh layer of lsp as opposed to bare paint w/o protection.