PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded Equipment

StrmChzr
05-01-2017, 06:21 AM
I purchased a Cyclo Model 5 and Sears 9" Orbital at an auction with the intent of enhancing ability to shine my boat's gel coat. Boat has black Hull and white interior Fiberglass that hasn't been detailed in a couple of years and needs spiffing up. I applied by hand Meguiar 49, 44, 45 and Flagship Premium Marine Wax using Meg yellow high tech foam applicator pads about 3 years ago. I was very pleased with the results, but it took forever so trying to improve and speed up the process this time around..

What applicator pads for the Cyclo are recommended for removing light oxidation, polishing, and wax application?

I'm planning to use the same Meguiars products such that I make one pass with 49 and 44 followed by couple applications of 45 polish and Megs Premium Marine Wax. Does this sound appropriate or am I missing something?

Tks in advance for any insight offered!

StrmChzr
05-15-2017, 09:35 AM
Anybody have any recommendations for what pads I need to order for my Cyclo? I'm completely in the dark on pros/cons of bonnets vs foam pads?

Setec Astronomy
05-15-2017, 10:05 AM
Well, I'm not a boat guy, but even your new plan of 49/44/45(twice)/Wax sounds like too many steps. Reading the descriptions and from what I know of the car products, the 45 sounds kind of like #7 and I would think that the 49 and 44 have plenty of the same "trade secret oils" to do the trick.

As far as the pads, I'd look here: Cyclo 4 Inch Premium Foam Pads fit on each head of your Cyclo Dual Head Orbital Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/cyclo-pads.html)

I'd suggest the yellow cutting pad for the 49, and an orange or green for the 44. I'm not sure if you were asking about bonnets vs. foam pads as far as applying the products or if you were talking about the backing plate vs. bonnet for attaching the pads to the cyclo.

You definitely want to use foam pads (or even wool for cutting) vs. a bonnet. You can use that Sears Orbital "wax spreader" to apply the wax with a bonnet, or you can use a blue or white Cyclo pad on that machine.

Disclaimer: I'm not a boat guy, not that familiar with the Meg's Marine line, only gelcoat I've polished is an old patio table, that came out like a mirror with a foam pad and some Poorboy's SSR, I think it was 2 or 2.5.