PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 1-step compound and pad for 2017?

Pages : [1] 2

mwoywod
04-29-2017, 05:58 PM
With all of the new pads and abrasives released this year, I was hoping some of you could share what your current go-to when it comes to 1-step corrections?

Right now I have 4 different combo's that work for 99% of the cars I work on (most of which are single-stage repaints)

Hard Paint - M100 paired with either maroon uro-tec heavy polishing pad
Medium/hard paint - Boss Correcting Cream paired with boss microfiber cutting pad
Medium/Soft Paint - Scholl Concepts S20 Black paired with yellow uro-tec polishing pad
Soft paint - HD Polish+ paired with orange uro-cell pad

By the way, I did try Jescar Correcting Compound with a foamed wool pad via Rotary to remove some 3000 grit sanding marks and while it doesn't smell like solvents and has a much longer working time that FG400, it is probably the most mild compound I've ever used and for me it was more in line with Menzerna's medium cut polish 2500 or even Meguiar's M205 in terms of cut and finish.

dlc95
04-29-2017, 07:39 PM
I'm finding that I really like the Rupes UHS system. My usual, Rupes Keramik on their yellow microfiber pad works great too. Last week I did a 2010 Camaro SS black I intended to use the yellow MF/Keramik, but it was leaving the slightest bit of haze. I ended up using Keramik on a yellow foam padding for that one.

I still really like PF2500, and Meguiar's M86 on Buff and Shine Blue polishing pads too. The M86 can haze up softer paints, all things being equal. On the same vehicle, and same, clean pads with PF2500 cleaned up all the defects, and finished beautifully. PF2500 is one heck of a versatile product.

I still need to get the Rupes Quarz/Green pads, but I imagine the UHS will be my go to.

Firehouse Mike
04-29-2017, 07:52 PM
Right now I still find myself going with HD Speed with a Griots BOSS Correcting Pad (Orange) on a G21. Works awesome 95+% of the time. If I'm doing a 2-Step I'll go with Griots Complete Compound instead and an LSP.

Mike

WRAPT C5Z06
04-29-2017, 07:56 PM
EDIT: Way too many variables with color and hardness.

Flex 3401 or 15mm DA used.

I use Clearfinish P1, Scholl S20 Black, M205, Scholl S40 for polishes. Pads I use: LC MF cutting pads, CarPro Flash pads, Scholl Blue polishing pads, Scholl Orange finishing pads.

Test spots with these polishes and pads, I can always find a combo that works.

On a side note, tried Jescar Compound on soft paint yesterday and it was too hard to remove.

mwoywod
04-29-2017, 08:41 PM
On a side note, tried Jescar Compound on soft paint yesterday and it was too hard to remove.

I agree, it's seems like even after it "flashes" it's still smears when trying to remove. I won't be repurchasing it. I haven't tried S40 but have always wanted too. Have you tried S30+? If you like HD Polish+ I feel like S30+ would be right up your ally. It sucks AG and Autopia dropped the line. Scholl Concept's abrasives are a godsend on soft/sticky paint

WRAPT C5Z06
04-29-2017, 09:56 PM
Yea, not chance I'm buying Jescar again. S40 is fantastic for the second step on paint that's very sensitive. I rarely use it as a 1 step, except for ultra soft black paint. I've never tried S30+, but really want to. HD Polish+ is nice. I agree about PBMG dropping the Scholl line. I love the polishes and pads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruzscarwash
04-29-2017, 10:03 PM
Boss MF cutting pad/d300 still testing out

Boss MF cutting pad and HD speed is great

BOSS MF cutting pad and 360 has also been great except on a civic which left holograms

BOSS MF cutting pad and groits finishing sealant

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

WRAPT C5Z06
04-29-2017, 10:07 PM

BOSS MF cutting pad and 360 has also been great except on a civic which left holograms

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)
Only MF pads? I take it you don't work on soft paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike@ShineStruck
04-29-2017, 10:07 PM
I'm still using my B&S Low pros
Started using the Uro Fiber

Will be getting the LC HDO lineup soon
switching to a product I cant say on here for one of my compounds...the 2nd compound will be Gyeon Compound

switching to gyeon polish and some sonax medium cut and perfecting finish.

I also started using a Carpro essence alternative for my production details.

3d spyder pads would be another great pad system(made by scholls concepts)

Cruzscarwash
04-29-2017, 10:09 PM
I do, but really like MF over foam now, I did however just place a large order buff and shine low pro pads for my g21 just in case my boss MF polishing pads don't work

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

LEDetailing
04-29-2017, 10:30 PM

I cannot believe how well Griots Boss MF correcting pad finishes. I took out 3000 grit sanding marks with GG MF and their fast correcting cream. They clean up very nice and easy as well.

mwoywod
04-29-2017, 10:34 PM
I'm still using my B&S Low pros
Started using the Uro Fiber

Will be getting the LC HDO lineup soon
switching to a product I cant say on here for one of my compounds...the 2nd compound will be Gyeon Compound

switching to gyeon polish and some sonax medium cut and perfecting finish.

I also started using a Carpro essence alternative for my production details.

3d spyder pads would be another great pad system(made by scholls concepts)

I'd love to hear your opinion on the new uro-fiber pads? I really like the Boss MF Cutting pads but they aren't quite as hardy as I'd like and I find myself switching them out often just to be safe. I've seen a few threads where the user had them just spontaneously combust after only one use, which certainly has not been my experience, and though I'm certain it was user error, I still tend to err on the side of caution.

With the traditional B&S microfiber cutting pads I know they are going to take a TON of abuse. I'm imagine the uro-fiber pads are equally durable but I'd like to know how they cut and feel? In your opinion, Do they cut as well as Megs MF cutting pads or finish or finish like the Boss MF cutting pads? Or both?

I'm hesitant to try the new MF cutting pads LC offers since their last ones were so awful for me. They would become matted down immediately and then it was impossible to get an even cut.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-05-2017, 08:02 AM
Have you tried S30+? If you like HD Polish+ I feel like S30+ would be right up your ally.
I tried S30+ for the first time yesterday. Was working on soft black honda paint. Used HD Polish+ first(2nd step). It finished pretty good, but left a bit of micro-marring behind. S30+ did better, no micro-marring. It left the paint very glossy!

luvashine
05-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Optimum Hyper polish with a Optimum orange pad or a LC Polishing MF pad !!!!!!

KMG
08-30-2017, 01:14 PM
I would have to agree with luvashine, Hyper polish on orange foam makes for a killer 1-step. Essence on MF pads also works quite well for some vehicles also.