PDA

View Full Version : Engine detailing

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

scooterguitar
07-01-2006, 02:28 PM
So I figure this is the next step to learn!
I have used a simple degreaser and hosed the engine off before with decent luck, although my car didn't want to start once!
First off, any methods you suggest?
Second, I heard this from a guy last night, who used to detail full time, said it was a great trick. After you degrease, have the car running, then spray tire shine on/in the engine, let it run for ahwile and as it works it way through belts and such with the heat form the engine going it basically adheres itself to it and make sit look great. Whatta ya think?

abrcrombe
07-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Aren't you supposed to cover some parts of the engine before washing it down? I've heard aluminum foil works great for covering the engine parts. I am afraid of cleaning the engine. One time I washed my bro's engine and it wouldn't start! Not just once, but at all! :p No one knew what I did and just assumed it was because the car is old.

scooterguitar
07-01-2006, 02:36 PM
That's funny dude!
I think stay away from some parts, but I forget the parts.
Someone will chime in here soon I imagine.

justin_murphy
07-01-2006, 02:37 PM
So I figure this is the next step to learn!
I have used a simple degreaser and hosed the engine off before with decent luck, although my car didn't want to start once!
First off, any methods you suggest?
Second, I heard this from a guy last night, who used to detail full time, said it was a great trick. After you degrease, have the car running, then spray tire shine on/in the engine, let it run for ahwile and as it works it way through belts and such with the heat form the engine going it basically adheres itself to it and make sit look great. Whatta ya think?

I do this very same thing. I use a pressure washer though with the first major detail. Uses less water and more air. I then use a silicone based spray to coat the engine bay. I close the hood and leave it running while I wash and rinse the rest of the vehicle.
I call it a baking process. The seems to give the dressing a curing process and all the runs are gone. Done it this way on 100+ rides with no probs and the customer loves it. Easy to rinse off for about a month.

ScottB
07-01-2006, 02:38 PM
If you keep your underhood area up monthly there is no need to deep clean. I klasse aio all painted parts, and I use 303 Protectant on all lines and rubber.

When I recently sold the CTS, it needed a better bath. I used the DP Exterior Cleaner full strength, and allowed to sit on a cold motor. I then fired up the car, and then streamed the water, careful to stay away from the coils. It all ended well and the heat kept the water from getting into areas where it should not. I did NOT use high pressure, and allowed the cleaner to do the work. After running for 5-10 minutes with hood closed , I then opened and dried any spots and then went to work with the Klasse AIO and 303.

scooterguitar
07-01-2006, 02:45 PM
So with either method, no need to cover any parts?

justin_murphy
07-01-2006, 03:32 PM
I never do. I do try to stay away from directly soaking anything of importance. Under the hood is kinda designed to take the elements.

Surfer
07-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Later engines shouldn't have a problem with water, it's the older ones where you have to start covering stuff. On my truck I can soak the hell out of the engine and wash down and it'll start right up as normal. Ford's newer engine bays are well sealed and protected.

abrcrombe
07-01-2006, 04:32 PM
What parts would you consider "of importance"?? :D I'm not well versed with engine components. :(

dakevmann
07-01-2006, 05:44 PM
I usely avoid spraying the fuse box the computer and the coil packs directly with a hard stream of water. A light spray will generaly not hurt anything in newer model engines because of how well thay are sealed. Also most of the important parts like you CPU are coverd will a pretty think layer of silicone. I would suggest to spray it down with the engine running so you know if you spray something you shouldnt, but for the most part I wouldnt worry to much.

abrcrombe
07-01-2006, 06:02 PM
I have a 1995 car. Should I worry about protecting anything, or would you imagine it to be sealed up properly?

dakevmann
07-01-2006, 06:06 PM
I wouldnt worry unless you have a vehicle from the early 80's or earlier and if its not fuel injected. Me personnaly I dont use a hard stream of water I use the cone spray setting on my nozzle and use simple green in a 50/50 mix with water takes just about everything off with ease.

abrcrombe
07-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Maybe I shouldn't get so nervous about it. I'll try it out soon, and if it breaks my car, you guys can come over and help me. You practically forced me to try it... :D

dakevmann
07-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Yeah I wouldnt worry to much just start with a cold engine spray it down with your degreaser of choice start up the engine and spray off the engine, the heat will help evaporate the water allot faster and with it running you will know if you hit something that doesnt like water.

abrcrombe
07-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks man, any recommendations on degreasers? OTC preferred.