PDA

View Full Version : Lapsed time between polishing and sealing

pnwtoc
04-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Total noob. Spent the last few days working toward my PhD in auto detailing on this site.

If I wash, clay, compound, and polish my car, then leave it sitting in a garage, can I wait a few days before waxing/sealing if I don't drive it. I'm waiting for Collinite LIW 845 to arrive. I have the products to do the other stuff and wanted to spend time this weekend working on it. Is this OK or should I wait until I can do it all at the same time?

vobro
04-28-2017, 01:32 PM
If it's a few days you should wash(rinsless or waterless wash) to remove any contamination before you rub on the paint

pnwtoc
04-28-2017, 03:54 PM
If it's a few days you should wash(rinsless or waterless wash) to remove any contamination before you rub on the paint

So basically just to get dust particles or whatever other kind of particles have settled on it before I go rubbing again?

JimmyH5
04-28-2017, 06:31 PM
Yea, that pretty much covers it... remove whatever dust, etc. has settled on the paint since you last wiped it down. It may be anal of me, but I like to use whatever detail spray, rinseless or waterless wash product is of the same brand as the wax/sealant... may be not necessary, but precautionary in my mind.

Eldorado2k
04-29-2017, 12:43 AM
Yup, as they already said^ you should be just fine. Just make sure the paint is clean immediately prior to applying the wax.

I've got the same thing going on on my hood and trunk at the moment... I clayed and polished over a week ago, but haven't had the time to seal it up.. Or better yet haven't taken the time.

I washed my car last night and there was no beading at all on the horizontal panels, which was a rare sight. Lol.