PDA

View Full Version : Distilled water or regular water with Woolite

hkeiner
11-29-2007, 12:42 PM
I am planning to use some Woolite to clean the leather seats on my 2002 Ford Sport Trac. The leather color is a light/medium tan color. In reading all of the posts that I could find on this fourm(with a search on the term "woolite"), the posts seem to recommend a ratio of Woolite to water in the range of 1:6 to 1:10. Some posts further recommend the use of DISTILLED water, while others do not mention DISTILLED water at all. My question is this:

Does it matter much if regular tap water or bottled drinking water is used, instead if DISTILLED water, with the Woolite? And if so, what are the consequences of using tap or bottled drinking water?

Keep in mind that I am not cleaning the leather seats on a high end expensive vehicle. Just a Sport Track, which is my commute vehicle. Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

wytstang
11-29-2007, 12:53 PM
People use distilled to keep the mix pure if you will, I've used regular filtered water and it worked just fine. It's a good idea to treat your car as if it were a high end car, guaranteed good resell value.

Jimmie
11-29-2007, 12:59 PM
No it doesn't matter that much. Distilled H2O is pure water with nothing suspended in it so you reduce the chance of spotting, mixes easier with whatever chemical that you dilute, and it's not expensive. I keep some on hand just to dilute my detailing products but unless you have hard water it's not all that necessary.

zaxjax
11-29-2007, 03:12 PM
I will say this, Woolite is used in your washing machine which is neither distilled or filtered. I don't think it should matter.

lethalxls1
11-29-2007, 03:30 PM
I need to clean some leather before I condition it. It has stains on it that looks like soda. Is woolite the way to go? thanks

supercharged
11-29-2007, 06:54 PM
People use distilled to keep the mix pure if you will, I've used regular filtered water and it worked just fine. It's a good idea to treat your car as if it were a high end car, guaranteed good resell value.
:iagree::whs:

D
11-29-2007, 06:56 PM
I use filtered water when diluting products. The water is below 50ppm.

wytstang
11-30-2007, 12:35 AM
I need to clean some leather before I condition it. It has stains on it that looks like soda. Is woolite the way to go? thanks
Depending on how bad the stain is. But with the right brush and a woolite/h2o mix it should come out just fine.

lethalxls1
11-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks

Z06-Goose
11-30-2007, 05:38 PM
I recommend using distilled water as well. I hardly ever use tap water for anything that has to do with my cars. It's worth the extra buck to get some distilled water
Heck, I mix distilled water with anti-freeze for my cars so it won't rust, or corrode my radiator :)

Torsion Tool
12-01-2007, 01:39 AM
Just picked up a gallon at Pep Boys last night solely for car applications both detail and engine. The mineral content should not be a big issue in cleaning, not so for the radiator and battery. As for the fluoride content, that's another forum. Just get a Berkey and don't worry.

TOGWT
12-01-2007, 07:11 AM
Horse hairs are found in many cleaning brushes because the hairs are great at catching dust and lint, and they are completely non-abrasive. Because of the natural ability of horse hair to absorb moisture, they distribute cleaners evenly and soak up excess moisture – http://www.autogeek.net (http://www.autogeek.net/)

Methodology-
1. Use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) to remove any dust or grit from the seams and vacuum the seating areas dust
2. Apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or higher) on to an applicator pad (this Mesh towel is double woven micro fibre, made to be safe and scratch-free for all leather and vinyl finishes - cPanel® (http://poorboysworld)
2a. Using a sponge, apply a small amount of Leather Master™ Soft / Strong Cleaner as necessary and gently agitate it until it foams, then remove with a damp micro fibre cloth
3. Apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar's hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Micro fibre towel to rinse.
4. To bring back a matte finish and safely remove prior use products, use a solution of distilled water and a mild liquid soap (Woolite® or Dreft® 4:1 ratio or stronger, or useLeather Soft Cleaner ) on to an applicator pad
5. It may be necessary to repeat the cleaning process to get it back to a matte finish.

Maintenance cleaning- uses a mild liquid soap cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 10:1 ratio) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time

Note: Leather conditioning is unnecessary, all that is required is a water-based Protection product (Leather Masters)

2turbos
12-19-2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks!^^

lethalxls1
12-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Horse hairs are found in many cleaning brushes because the hairs are great at catching dust and lint, and they are completely non-abrasive. Because of the natural ability of horse hair to absorb moisture, they distribute cleaners evenly and soak up excess moisture – http://www.autogeek.net (http://www.autogeek.net/)

Methodology-
1. Use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) to remove any dust or grit from the seams and vacuum the seating areas dust
2. Apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or higher) on to an applicator pad (this Mesh towel is double woven micro fibre, made to be safe and scratch-free for all leather and vinyl finishes - cPanel® (http://poorboysworld)
2a. Using a sponge, apply a small amount of Leather Master™ Soft / Strong Cleaner as necessary and gently agitate it until it foams, then remove with a damp micro fibre cloth
3. Apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar's hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Micro fibre towel to rinse.
4. To bring back a matte finish and safely remove prior use products, use a solution of distilled water and a mild liquid soap (Woolite® or Dreft® 4:1 ratio or stronger, or useLeather Soft Cleaner ) on to an applicator pad
5. It may be necessary to repeat the cleaning process to get it back to a matte finish.

Maintenance cleaning- uses a mild liquid soap cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 10:1 ratio) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time

Note: Leather conditioning is unnecessary, all that is required is a water-based Protection product (Leather Masters)

Thank you- as far as conditioners go I bought some Pinnacle leather cleaner and conditioner-after the woolite would that be ok to use?