PDA

View Full Version : Mckee's 37 Tire and Rubber Rejuvanator?

Pages : [1] 2

willowcat11
04-27-2017, 12:49 AM
What have been you guys' experience using this product?
How do you feel it does at cleaning tires from dirt and grime?

Then how it does at removing the browning?

Thanku!

Eldorado2k
04-27-2017, 01:00 AM
Using this product to get 100% results requires more effort/elbow grease than trying to remove swirls by hand... I'm not kidding. IMO this product needs to go back to the drawing board.

Sure it'll get that starting layer clean... But in order to fully finish the job and get tires 100%, meaning browning and silicon based tire shine fully cleaned is a very long process using this product.

willowcat11
04-27-2017, 01:12 AM
Whoa, Thankyou for saying this E2K!
I bring this up, because I wanted to see what all of you guys' experiences were like too. I did use this product briefly last year after all the hype. I initially used it on a cars tires that weren't that dirty at all in the first place. It just had some browning. When it got rid of the browning, I went out and raved all about it.

But when I started using it on tires that were pretty darn dirty, I began experiencing the results you just stated. I found it very hard to scrub the tires clean, and I would end up having to use another Tire Cleaner to get them clean.

Thanks for helping me feel like I was not alone in my assessment of this product. I bought the big tub of it, I don't know if it was the gallon size 128 oz. and ended up using the whole thing very fast to get the tires clean. Like you said, maybe back to the drawing board for that stuff. And off to finding a new Tire Cleaner too. I still think that the Tire and Rubber Rejuvanator simply has lotions in it to cause the browning to go away.

Eldorado2k
04-27-2017, 01:27 AM
I bring this up, because I wanted to see what all of you guys' experiences were like too. I did use this product briefly last year after all the hype. I initially used it on a cars tires that weren't that dirty at all in the first place. It just had some browning. When it got rid of the browning, I went out and raved all about it.

But when I started using it on tires that were pretty darn dirty, I began experiencing the results you just stated. I found it very hard to scrub the tires clean, and I would end up having to use another Tire Cleaner to get them clean.

Thanks for helping me feel like I was not alone in my assessment of this product. I bought the big tub of it, I don't know if it was the gallon size 128 oz. and ended up using the whole thing very fast to get the tires clean. Like you said, maybe back to the drawing board for that stuff. And off to finding a new Tire Cleaner too. I still think that the Tire and Rubber Rejuvanator simply has lotions in it to cause the browning to go away.

I had a very similar experience with it... As a matter of fact I text a fellow detailer about it after the 1st time I tried it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170427/d09ea6f1358593ddc0713cf54cab7e3f.png

Here's that pic full size showing how much I had to use to get 2 of my tires 100% clean.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170427/cc02e740c8d58b4880b69401172ba5a2.jpg

Btw, I didn't have to work till 10:30am that day, and my plan was to fully clean and coat all 4 of the tires on my Cadillac before work... Well it turned out to be so much work that I quit after 2 and wanted to just stay home instead of go in to work! Lol. [I went to work]

Since then I've adjusted my technique a bit and don't use quite as much product, but the time and effort hasn't changed too much, and I haven't touched my bottle of it in over a month now... Too much work! Other tire cleaners can do it with less than half the elbow grease.

willowcat11
04-27-2017, 02:00 AM
Dang, that's crazy for sure. Thanks for sharing all of this. It's helping me to look another direction for the Tire stuff.

Nick McKees37
04-27-2017, 05:45 AM

Thanku!

McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator is designed to remove dirt, grime, old tire shine, and of course browning from all tires. It does so without causing any harm to the tire or the wheel, which I'll expand upon below....

Using this product to get 100% results requires more effort/elbow grease than trying to remove swirls by hand... I'm not kidding. IMO this product needs to go back to the drawing board.

Sure it'll get that starting layer clean... But in order to fully finish the job and get tires 100%, meaning browning and silicon based tire shine fully cleaned is a very long process using this product.

Long time no talk! I'm glad you were able to meet me, my wife, Bob McKee, and Joe Metlow in person at the Classic Auto Show in LA. I hope you put that bottle of N-914 I gave you to good use. :)

Formulating a high-octane degreaser is easy...formulating something that is both strong AND safe, is not so easy. That's where Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator excels. It's the strongest the product can be formulated without posing any harm to the tire, your wheel, the environment, and so forth. I have 7 different lab samples of this formula still in my garage (I save all of them!), 4 of which are technically stronger than the production-spec formula. Those 4, however, are too strong to be safe for the tire. Testing like this goes into each and every product manufactured by McKee's 37. Having a clean car is one of the (many) perks of my job!

It's no secret that if you're cleaning a brand-new tire or a tire that has been "dressed" over and over again, that it's going to take a lot of cleaner to get the job done. There's a balance with tire cleaners: if you formulate the product too strong, it will cause the antiozonants and rubber conditioners to leach out of the tire over time. This is not good.

I had a very similar experience with it... As a matter of fact I text a fellow detailer about it after the 1st time I tried it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170427/d09ea6f1358593ddc0713cf54cab7e3f.png

Here's that pic full size showing how much I had to use to get 2 of my tires 100% clean.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170427/cc02e740c8d58b4880b69401172ba5a2.jpg

Btw, I didn't have to work till 10:30am that day, and my plan was to fully clean and coat all 4 of the tires on my Cadillac before work... Well it turned out to be so much work that I quit after 2 and wanted to just stay home instead of go in to work! Lol. [I went to work]

Since then I've adjusted my technique a bit and don't use quite as much product, but the time and effort hasn't changed too much, and I haven't touched my bottle of it in over a month now... Too much work! Other tire cleaners can do it with less than half the elbow grease.

I'm not surprised it took a lot to clean your tires. As someone that hangs out on a car care discussion forum, I'm sure you regularly dress your tires with some type of gel or spray on tire shine. For this reason it's normal to have to use a little bit of elbow grease. Detailing does require some work you know. ;)

The AGO veterans already know this, and I'm sorry to have to repeat it again, but the McKee's 37 customer care hotline is open 24/7/365. Outside of our normal office hours (7 am to 5 pm M-F), all calls are forwarded to my personal cell phone. I'm not much of a texter, though, so if you have a question, concern, or would like to share an observation, give me a call!

Setec Astronomy
04-27-2017, 06:31 AM
It's no secret that if you're cleaning a brand-new tire or a tire that has been "dressed" over and over again, that it's going to take a lot of cleaner to get the job done. There's a balance with tire cleaners: if you formulate the product too strong, it will cause the antiozonants and rubber conditioners to leach out of the tire over time. This is not good.

This is something I've been struggling with for a long time, I've started a few threads on the topic, and have begun a new one a few times in the last few months but never posted it. My technique for about the past year has been to not worry so much about the browning, and, using mild cleaners, just get the tire clean. The dressing seems to adhere to the browning and even when the gloss of the dressing wears off, the tire stays black (this has worked with 2 or 3 different dressings). That's in contrast to using a caustic tire cleaner and getting the brown off while scrubbing, but in that case, the dressing would come off quickly leaving a brown tire (leading to the conclusion that the caustic cleaner is "pulling" the antiozonants, which cause the browning, out of the tire, as you note).

This spring I started to change my process a little and I'm more confused than ever. As we know tires are different (between brands, models, intended use, etc.) in how they dress and how they clean, so that doesn't make things any easier.

The AGO veterans already know this, and I'm sorry to have to repeat it again, but the McKee's 37 customer care hotline is open 24/7/365. Outside of our normal office hours (7 am to 5 pm M-F), all calls are forwarded to my personal cell phone.

Boy, that sounds like something that you are eventually going to regret, LOL!

TTQ B4U
04-27-2017, 06:36 AM

Call me old-school but the best thing I've found to clean rubber tires fully including easily removing the brown blooming that can occur is standard Bleach White. Gal of it even locally can be had for like $10 too. It's my go-to for tires. Nothing against McKee's as I've never used it. Just my experience and opinion on an alternative.

Eldorado2k
04-27-2017, 07:42 AM
McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator is designed to remove dirt, grime, old tire shine, and of course browning from all tires. It does so without causing any harm to the tire or the wheel, which I'll expand upon below....

Long time no talk! I'm glad you were able to meet me, my wife, Bob McKee, and Joe Metlow in person at the Classic Auto Show in LA. I hope you put that bottle of N-914 I gave you to good use. :)

Formulating a high-octane degreaser is easy...formulating something that is both strong AND safe, is not so easy. That's where Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator excels. It's the strongest the product can be formulated without posing any harm to the tire, your wheel, the environment, and so forth. I have 7 different lab samples of this formula still in my garage (I save all of them!), 4 of which are technically stronger than the production-spec formula. Those 4, however, are too strong to be safe for the tire. Testing like this goes into each and every product manufactured by McKee's 37. Having a clean car is one of the (many) perks of my job!

I'm not surprised it took a lot to clean your tires. As someone that hangs out on a car care discussion forum, I'm sure you regularly dress your tires with some type of gel or spray on tire shine. For this reason it's normal to have to use a little bit of elbow grease. Detailing does require some work you know. ;)

The AGO veterans already know this, and I'm sorry to have to repeat it again, but the McKee's 37 customer care hotline is open 24/7/365. Outside of our normal office hours (7 am to 5 pm M-F), all calls are forwarded to my personal cell phone. I'm not much of a texter, though, so if you have a question, concern, or would like to share an observation, give me a call!

Hi Nick, I appreciate your willingness to be available at just a phonecall away, but as far as this sort of situation it's not exactly the easiest thing to do because I don't like to burden people [especially nice people] with any kind of complaints.. At the same time, when faced with a direct question, I tend to be brutally honest, almost to a fault... I hope nothing I said was taken personal or overly rude, because I certainly didn't mean it that way..

As far as the Tire & Rubber Rejuvinator, my legit reasons for the negative review are:
1. Price point vs. value. At $43 per gallon, it took me a bit before I finally bit the bullet and decided to purchase it... But at the same time it's not about the Money, it's simply about the Value.. For that amount of $ I like to know paying a premium meant I did it for good reason, and in return I have a superior product that blows away less expensive ordinary options. However [at least in my experience] that hasn't been the case.

2. In the official video showing a demo of how to use the product, it's generally shown to be a quik process.. Even in Joe's short video review it's a pretty quik demo where I believe he gives a tip on how the tire can be cleaned without a hose by simply spraying and wiping clean with a towel. That's fine and nothing wrong at all, but in order to get full and true expected results i.e. prepping for a tire coating [which goes hand in hand with this product] there's simply no way a quik cleaning just like that is going to suffice.

If it really was that quik and easy to do, I'd be more than happy with that premium price for a tire cleaner, but for me it just didn't balance out. I try to keep my reviews honest. I feel bad sometimes, but there's not too many people who feel comfortable mentioning both the pros and the cons.. I'm not very comfortable with it either, but that doesn't mean I'll shy away from it. After all, what good is a product review without full disclosure?

Thanks for the N-914, that stuff reminded me how good rinseless washing really is after having gone waterless for a long stint. It's A+

Desertnate
04-27-2017, 08:20 AM
I just might get this product as a maintenance product to get nasty levels of grime off a tire, but I've given up on "deep cleaning" tires and tire coatings. The huge variance of tire rubber between tires makes it almost impossible chase perfection. I have three cars in my family right now, with three different types of tires from two different brands (three different brands in the recent past) and every one reacts completely different.

I've found with most tires keeping them clean and regular application of a good dressing keeps them looking nice and black with no browning. A quick shot of a cleaner like this one and a brief scrub while I wash the car and then a pass of a good dressing and it's all good. Dressings seem to be far more tolerant of a less than perfect surface.

willowcat11
04-27-2017, 12:13 PM
Thankyou Nick for your very thorough explanation of this product, I apologize for jumping to conclusions on a product I didn't fully understand. I'm going to buy it again with this new understanding, and appreciate its uniqueness, in that it is as strong as it can be without having an adverse affect on the tires. Thankyou also for offering your number out there, but like E2K said, I would not be able to burden you like that.

Thanks for the quick response, and have a wonderful weekend man!

Ray

fly07sti
04-27-2017, 02:35 PM
I actually love this product. Mind you I have the DP version of it before it got changed to McKee's. All of our cars get tire dressings except for my Tundra. I just like them to look fresh and new. This product does just that.

AZpolisher15
04-27-2017, 02:45 PM
I've been very happy with the Tire and Rubber Rejuvenator. Perfect for my needs. I detail personal vehicles often and this has turned out to be an ideal option- gets the tires clean enough to be dressed with a water based dressing (I like DG 253). And if I don't feel like dressing, there's really no need. A great maintenance product for my daily drivers.

Bobby B.
04-27-2017, 03:55 PM
I've always had great luck with the McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator. It's a great safe product for cleaning your vehicles tires. McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator, heavy duty tire cleaner, how to remove brown from tires (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-tire-cleaner.html)

mwoywod
04-27-2017, 10:26 PM

Nick, the Mckee's 37 cleanse-all exterior cleaner is recommended to be used on TIRES, wheels, engines, plastic, rubber, etc. While it's incredibly powerful and effective when you want to make quick work of cleaning tires, based on the criteria's when formulating Mckee's 37 line it seems like this high-alkaline strong degreaser isn't necessarily the safest option. When testing this product on tires clearly it was determined to be safe though or Mckee's 37 most likely wouldn't recommend it for this application right?