PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat Maintenance Inquiry

sawacs
04-26-2017, 10:28 PM
I have a 2007 Majek Illusion that has been kept in great shape and still has a nice shine to the gelcoat. However, by looking at the area where the "MajekIllusion" sticker used to be, I can easily see the sticker outline and the newer looking gelcoat which means, I could bring out even more shine than it currently has.

Here are the products I have on hand to polish the Gelcoat.

3M Heavy Oxidation Cleaner
3M Light Oxidation Cleaner
Marine 31 Heavy-Cut Oxidation cleaner
Zaino AIO
Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze
Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer

Pads: Orange, white, blue, red, black

The reason I am asking first rather than experimenting is you guys might be able to tell me where to begin which would, in turn, save some of my polishing pads and time:)

Thanks,

Shawn

damaged442
04-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Start with least aggressive first.If that doesn't work, step up.

I would start with 3M Light oxidation with white pad. If that isn't giving the results you want, step up to orange pad. If that still isn't where you want, try one of the heavy oxidation cleaners with white. If that still isn't where you want, go with the orange pad with the heavy oxidation cleaner.

That's the route I would go, if I were in your situation. Good luck! We want to see pics!!

sawacs
04-27-2017, 09:18 PM
Start with least aggressive first.If that doesn't work, step up.

I would start with 3M Light oxidation with white pad. If that isn't giving the results you want, step up to orange pad. If that still isn't where you want, try one of the heavy oxidation cleaners with white. If that still isn't where you want, go with the orange pad with the heavy oxidation cleaner.

That's the route I would go, if I were in your situation. Good luck! We want to see pics!!

Thank you for the information.

Regarding the 3m Light stuff, what would you recommend as a lubricant for the pad: the 3m stuff tends to dry out quickly.

Cheers,

Shawn

Jaretr1
04-29-2017, 09:51 AM
Definitely do a test spot. Based on my experience buffing out a gel coat boat, sometimes the get coat fades or discolors where its exposed to the elements, and underneath graphics for instance, its preserved. My friend and I compounded and polished his boat that had graphics on the side. He removed the graphics, but even after compounding, there is still evidence of them being there as deep under the outter coats, the discoloration has taken place. His boat looks great, super shiny, but there is nothing we could do short of sanding down the gel coat and redoing it that would get rid of the remants of the graphics.

sawacs
04-29-2017, 09:37 PM
Definitely do a test spot. Based on my experience buffing out a gel coat boat, sometimes the get coat fades or discolors where its exposed to the elements, and underneath graphics for instance, its preserved. My friend and I compounded and polished his boat that had graphics on the side. He removed the graphics, but even after compounding, there is still evidence of them being there as deep under the outter coats, the discoloration has taken place. His boat looks great, super shiny, but there is nothing we could do short of sanding down the gel coat and redoing it that would get rid of the remants of the graphics.

Thank you for the reply.

I tried a little 3m light oxidation remover with a rag, which I have used in the past, and you could definitely tell the difference. The weird part is even though the boat is extremely glossy looking, if you look at the gelcoat at an angle, you can easily see the oxidation. Also, I gave the Marine 31 heavy oxidation remover a go and it did work a little better than the lighter stuff (smells just like the 3m heavy stuff and works the same as far as I could tell)

Later this week, I'll give it a go with an orange pad and the 3m light and see what happens.

Thanks!