PDA

View Full Version : Remove sealant before applying polish

lightsout66
04-26-2017, 10:06 PM
Ok so I applied Wolfgang paint sealant 3.0 over the weekend and the car looked great in the garage but when I pulled it out in the sun I noticed light swirl marks on the hood and trunk . I know I should've checked before applying the sealant so now it's time for the DA. I was thinking Wolfgang finishing glaze with a light cutting pad will hopefully be enough. My question is do I need to remove the sealant first since it's only been on for a week or is it ok to just polish then reapply the sealant the swirl marks are extremely light you really have to look closely to see them

Mantilgh
04-26-2017, 10:52 PM
The abrasives in the Finishing Glaze will remove the sealant.

lightsout66
04-27-2017, 04:04 AM
That's what I thought but since I just applied it I thought I might have to remove it well that saves me some time thanks for the help

Toolhead
04-27-2017, 07:19 AM
this is good to know..

fightnews
04-27-2017, 07:27 AM
Idk I've heard that m205 isn't strong enough to remove a fresh coat of tech wax 2.0

Desertnate
04-27-2017, 07:33 AM
Idk I've heard that m205 isn't strong enough to remove a fresh coat of tech wax 2.0

I wonder how true that really is. I was able to remove a coating with an LC white pad on my DA and Blackfire's SRC polish. The coating is much more durable than any sealant/wax would be.

Paul A.
04-27-2017, 08:34 AM
The key is to remove the swirls and scratches you are seeing. That means finding the right abrasive product and pad to do so. I would bet that will remove at least 90% of the previous sealant. Even if there is still a trace amount of the previous sealant, don't worry about it as long as the swirls are gone...you'll be reapplying the same sealant anyway.

Setec Astronomy
04-27-2017, 08:48 AM

That's ridiculous--if you listen to enough internet nonsense, Dawn will strip your sealant right off, but mechanical machine polishing won't? You can't have it both ways.

There was a prominent member here and over at the other forum who went on and on some years ago about how you had to chemically strip your LSP before polishing otherwise the LSP would totally foul up the correction process...I used to just shake my head. Maybe I'm just inexperienced but I've never met a sealant, wax, or coating, that interfered with my polishing process (or that couldn't be removed by same). I mean, come on guys--if the polishing process can remove swirls in the paint it's not going to have any trouble removing wax, sealant, or even a coating (which is much much thinner than paint). I mean if I can remove a swirl in catalyzed clear that a micron deep, I'm certainly going to be able to remove a micron of coating, even with M205.

fightnews
04-27-2017, 09:59 AM
That's ridiculous--if you listen to enough internet nonsense, Dawn will strip your sealant right off, but mechanical machine polishing won't? You can't have it both ways.

There was a prominent member here and over at the other forum who went on and on some years ago about how you had to chemically strip your LSP before polishing otherwise the LSP would totally foul up the correction process...I used to just shake my head. Maybe I'm just inexperienced but I've never met a sealant, wax, or coating, that interfered with my polishing process (or that couldn't be removed by same). I mean, come on guys--if the polishing process can remove swirls in the paint it's not going to have any trouble removing wax, sealant, or even a coating (which is much much thinner than paint). I mean if I can remove a swirl in catalyzed clear that a micron deep, I'm certainly going to be able to remove a micron of coating, even with M205.

Some polishes aren't that strong. It's not ridiculous just because you disagree

DrBeasleys
04-28-2017, 12:08 PM
yes, using the abrasives to correct the swirls will also remove the sealant. 2 birds, 1 stone :xyxthumbs:

DScherer14
04-30-2017, 07:04 PM

Haha good point about the dawn

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)