PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here using a leaf blower for drying?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sonic Pilot
04-26-2017, 08:46 PM
I've been giving this some thought. It's pretty well known that anytime you touch the cars surface (as in drying with a M/F towel), you are likely putting scratches in it. They may be very small most of the time and not easily noticeable, but they are occurring.
As an owner of a black car, this is of particular concern to me. I do try my best and apply good technique, but eventually they do occur.

So, what is the consensus on use of a leaf blower to aid in the drying process? So long as the air is clean, is this a better option? I've been looking at this one in particular as a possibility (see below). It pushes over 490cfm and 168 mph in peak mode. Would this be adequate for the job, or would I need something more? Are there negatives associated with this process, or any hidden risks?

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/blowers-and-shredder-vacs/battery-blowers/bga100/

KirkH
04-26-2017, 08:51 PM
Yep. Harbor Freight $35 special. 1 year old, used often, works well.

Kamakaz1961
04-26-2017, 08:51 PM
IMO a leaf blower is a better option, however, even an electric one is quite loud and I live in a community that can hear everything. I also have a Black car and no matter what you will eventually get scratches on your ride REGARDLESS what product or technique you use. Dust, polen, wind and dirt will scratch your ride.

So I use a Waffle Weave Towel and I get it wet and wring it dry and dry my ride with it damp. That itself works wonders. I will use the Blaster Jr. to get the water from the mirrors and other hard to reach areas. The damp Waffle Weave MF IMO is the best compromise if you can't use an electric Leaf blower. If you can use the blower you can use both in conjunction of drying your ride.

wolfpacker92
04-26-2017, 09:00 PM
I use a cheap electric one from Lowes. Use it every time and it does a great job. I haven't hand dried a car in almost a decade.

custmsprty
04-26-2017, 09:06 PM
I use megs waffle weave towels, I bought a DP Dryer when they first came out, it takes too long. I can dry an average vehicle in minutes with waffle weave towels. I usually use about six for a mid size sedan.

PaulMys
04-26-2017, 09:38 PM
I use my backpack leaf blower on my truck due to the large surface area.

I get the majority of the water off (while blowing out the crevices and not worrying about getting every little drop) then quickly work my drying towels.

Sharply Dressed
04-26-2017, 09:41 PM
I use the detachable blower on my Rigid shop vac. I think it's model #4080.

ntwillie1
04-26-2017, 10:02 PM
I use my echo back pack leaf blower. Does a great job except for the roof. On the roof I use my ryobi electric leaf blower. Saves me from having to wash and clean drying towels. It is awesome for getting your tires and rims dry quickly too as well as blowing water out of crevices like door handles and side mirrors.

Tc99m
04-26-2017, 10:30 PM
I use a Ryobi one+ 120 mph 18-Bolt cordless blower. Works well enough. Plus no cord, gas fumes, light weight and it is fairly quiet.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

Tc99m
04-26-2017, 10:32 PM
Stupid autocorrect. 18volt not bolt.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

musclecar22
04-26-2017, 10:57 PM
Same boat-I own a silver car and 2 black cars own me.
Used to use a gas blower, some folks here advised it would blow gas/oil on vehicle. Switched to electric Toro from HD, still unfiltered air. Bought a Turbo Dryer here and love it.

Eldorado2k
04-26-2017, 11:18 PM
All the reviews say it's way overpriced... How much is it including the battery pack thing you have to purchase separately?

Personally I use towels to dry. [waffle weaves, microfiber drying towels] I start with a dry towel because damp towels leave streaks and there's nothing good about streaks.. Nothing to fear IMO, microfiber towel will not scratch unless you're wiping a dirty surface with it or super heavy handed.

I've never seen swirls being instilled during the drying process, and my guess is it's actually happening during the wash process... Why do I think that? Because I've seen so many vids on youtube from people who should know how to properly wash a vehicle, yet their technique is actually quite bad. [i.e. their wash tutorial shows them start at the top of the vehicle, all the way down to the rocker panel and then somehow come all the way up the door with the same damn mitt] smh. And they wonder how the paint winds up with micro swirls? Lol.

Drying a clean car with a proper towel isn't the problem. Just my 2 cents.

LSNAutoDetailing
04-26-2017, 11:26 PM
I use EGO 142 MPH 575 CFM Variable-Speed 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Leaf Blower. Works like a charm.

NewShockerGuy
04-26-2017, 11:35 PM
I use a troybuilt leaf blower. Picked it up from Lowes a couple years ago for $39-45, something along the lines of that. It's ONLY used to dry cars/vehicles. All yard work is normally done by Echo gas powered stuff. Noise isn't a concern to me since I wear earplugs. This is probably the least noise making thing I own so my neighbors are probably happy when I use this compared to other toys or gadget I have.

https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/Recall.2014.14151.TB180%2520View_LARGE.jpg

That one exactly except I turned the nozzle part so it goes down instead of up.

I've been doing that for years. My neighbors think I'm nuts half the time when they see me washing our cars.

-Nigel

07rs
04-27-2017, 06:47 AM
I got a craftsman electric leaf blower from Sears that was on clearance for $15.00 a few years ago that I use strictly for drying cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)