PDA

View Full Version : Removing swirls from black strip between doors

lightsout66
04-25-2017, 08:20 PM
Hi everyone,I have a 2016 Mercedes benz cla 250 and was wondering if anyone knows how to remove swirl marks on the shiny black area between the front and back door window right at the b pillar sorry I'm not sure what it's called or what material it's made out of. I was wondering if I could just compound it then polish it.I submitted a couple photos maybe that helps thanks in advance for any feedback.

fly07sti
04-25-2017, 08:50 PM
IME most of those pillars are pretty soft. With that said, I'd try your polish first and see where that gets you.

Mike Phillips
05-05-2017, 11:27 AM
Hi everyone,I have a 2016 Mercedes benz cla 250 and was wondering if anyone knows how to remove swirl marks on the shiny black area between the front and back door window right at the b pillar sorry I'm not sure what it's called or what material it's made out of.

I was wondering if I could just compound it then polish it.

I submitted a couple photos maybe that helps thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hi John,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, stay pretty busy around here. This is lunch break for the first day of my 3-day class so again... stay kind of busy.

Real quick, most of these are glossy plastic material, not paint on a plastic material. The paint is thin. If you buff too much you'll buff through the black portion and expose the plastic and from my experience the plastic is white. So don't buff to much or use too aggressive of a product, especially on the edges and the corners.

Use a light polish and foam polishing pad on an orbital polisher. Buff a little and then inspect, make sure it's looking better.

Not sure what you use for compounds and polishes but this is a time where you want to make sure you're using GREAT abrasive technology or you'll see micro-marring in the plastic.

Back to my class...

:)

lightsout66
05-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Thanks So Much Mike your time and knowledge is so greatly appreciated