PDA

View Full Version : Best Interior APC Cleaner

Pages : 1 [2]

ducksfan
04-26-2017, 02:48 AM
Is Mckee's 37 Total interior cleaner, made to be diluted, or is it supposed to be used just as is?

Thanku all!

Use as is.

But if you don't have it yet, you might consider their Fast Interior Cleaner instead.

Setec Astronomy
04-26-2017, 06:44 AM
The McKee's you mentioned has also gotten excellent reviews.

I guess I got confused with all the McKee's products (what are there, 37 of them??). You mentioned the interior all surface cleaner (I'm presuming you meant Total Interior Cleaner), someone else mentioned FAST Interior Detailer--I was actually thinking about the High Intensity APC Plus (which was also mentioned by several people).

McKee's 37 Total Interior Cleaner cleans plastic, vinyl, leather, carpet, and upholstery without harsh solvents or caustic chemicals. (http://www.autogeek.net/dp340.html)

McKee’s 37 FAST Interior Detailer (http://www.autogeek.net/mckees-fast-interior-detail.html)

McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity All Purpose Cleaner Plus (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-apc-plus.html)

Desertnate
04-26-2017, 08:28 AM
For normal maintenance wipe downs, I use the McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant. However if deeper cleaning is needed, I use the Poorboy's APC diluted to their recommended ratio for vinyl/leather.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-26-2017, 10:15 AM
APC's are fine to use on the interior, but they'll most likely need to be wiped down with a damp towel to remove any residue left behind. I really like Britemax Interior Cleaner instead of an APC.

oneheadlite
04-26-2017, 11:35 AM
APC's are fine to use on the interior, but they'll most likely need to be wiped down with a damp towel to remove any residue left behind.

Thank you for bringing this up - This is a question I think of every time I see people mention using an APC as an interior cleaner.

From reading online and listening to podcasts (Optimum, Ammo, Auto-detailing), my understanding is that most APC's are Alkaline in PH level and if you don't follow it with another product (or at least thorough rinsing), if the surface isn't left PH neutral it will actually attract dirt more readily? Though recently I had seen someone mention that leather surfaces should be left slightly alkaline?

Hopefully my question makes sense. Any time it's been brought up, it's been more informational sounding vs sales-pitchy (buy our extreme cleaner and our PH blaster dressing!).

Mantilgh
04-26-2017, 01:30 PM
I agree about following up higher pH cleaners with a rinsing wipe.

In extreme circumstances leftover cleaners can attract dirt.

One of the first cars I did had so much cleaner in the seats and carpet that you could just spray it with water and agitation would produce thick foam.

It could have been from the used lot he bought it from or the previous owner using one of those OTC spray and vacuum up style cleaners.

aztec1987
04-26-2017, 01:57 PM
I use CG Inner Clean and follow up with either VRP, Hyper Coat G6, or Silk Shine

conman1395
04-28-2017, 06:23 PM
Thank you for bringing this up - This is a question I think of every time I see people mention using an APC as an interior cleaner.

From reading online and listening to podcasts (Optimum, Ammo, Auto-detailing), my understanding is that most APC's are Alkaline in PH level and if you don't follow it with another product (or at least thorough rinsing), if the surface isn't left PH neutral it will actually attract dirt more readily? Though recently I had seen someone mention that leather surfaces should be left slightly alkaline?

Hopefully my question makes sense. Any time it's been brought up, it's been more informational sounding vs sales-pitchy (buy our extreme cleaner and our PH blaster dressing!).

I've spent all semester dealing with acids and bases... Has me thinking about bringing some different APCs into the lab and using an array of indicators and pH probes... Ugh never mind.

Leaving the surface with APC on it isn't going to attract dirt because the pH is different. It will attract dirt because that's what surfactants (one component that does the cleaning) are meant to do though. Honestly, with leather/vinyl/(they're the same thing when coated) it's not going to make much of a difference. A damp towel or dry towel will do 99.5% of the same thing.

Should leather be left alkaline? Well, leather is tanned (not tan as in color) using alkaline chemicals and I believe products like saddle soap are alkaline as well. But WHEN WE COAT LEATHER IT'S PROPERTIES ARE COMPLETELY CHANGED. This is the reason why so many people think conditioning leather is pointless. Whether or not it is is up for debate.

oneheadlite
04-28-2017, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the insight!

RippyD
06-15-2017, 11:25 AM
It will attract dirt because that's what surfactants (one component that does the cleaning) are meant to do though. Honestly, with leather/vinyl/(they're the same thing when coated) it's not going to make much of a difference. A damp towel or dry towel will do 99.5% of the same thing.
Following up to an older post. I was a chem minor, and agree 100%. (Pls don't ask any chem questions - that was 100 years ago and I was not deep on polymers.)

Posted in on of the DG threads but will do so here as well. Had a really dirty back of one seat (leather) and compared Opt PC to DG APC to Blackfire Interior Cleaner. All worked well. But DG at 3:1 vs. Opt at 3:1 was much better. Could be it's just a stronger cleaner - not sure. But it got that stuff clean with very little effort. I went over it with water - didn't want to leave anything too strong on there. Really like OPC and have a gallon. I think DG will be go-to APC after I use up the OPC.

It seems I've also been using my cleaners maybe too diluted. They work, but are taking more effort. For the dash that's just dusty I'll use water only or 20:1 or 30:1 APC. For dirty stuff, I may start using 3:1 rather than 10:1 as a was doing previously. The difference was no small, esp for DG APC.