PDA

View Full Version : 2000 lumen flashlight

Pages : [1] 2

wildwilly1
04-24-2017, 03:47 PM
Got a 2000 lumen led flashlight .wow thought my paint looked pretty good till i shined this on it now i dont know. This thing shows stuff the sun dont what to do. Is this light just too bright for paint work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
04-24-2017, 08:20 PM
IMO nothing beats direct sunlight for spotting swirls. But a good light for side panels really helps, unless you can turn your car on its side to face the sun.

wildwilly1
04-24-2017, 08:54 PM
But thats just it .looks good in sun but light looks scratched up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Setec Astronomy
04-24-2017, 08:59 PM
But thats just it .looks good in sun but light looks scratched up

This kind of reminds me what Poorboy Steve said at one of his detailing days about the (then new) practice of shining high intensity lights at the side of the car to illuminate the defects. He said something like if you park your car at a car show and it looks good, no one says "yeah, but how does it look when you shine lights on the side?"

Or Henny Youngman..."hey doc, I don't like the way my car looks when I shine a 2000 lumen flashlight on it" Doc: "don't do that".

brettS4
04-24-2017, 09:33 PM
Maybe the flashlight is causing the swirls.

Eldorado2k
04-24-2017, 10:16 PM
My kinda light :)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170425/ba062eba8c31c6ddf676671064062d31.jpg

Mike Phillips
04-25-2017, 06:06 AM
Got a 2000 lumen led flashlight .wow thought my paint looked pretty good till i shined this on it now i dont know. This thing shows stuff the sun dont what to do.

When inspecting paint, you want to use multiple light sources as different types of light will show different types of defects better than others.

I use

The sun
Swirl Finder Lights
Overhead Florescent lights

I think I have thousands of pictures on this forum showing all three sources above.

Is this light just too bright for paint work

Could be.

I've never liked the Sun Gun as you can never please it.

Years ago I coined the name for swirl finder lights,

The Cruel Master

From 2009 - 8 years ago...

The Brinkman Swirl Finder Light (http://www.autogeek.net/brinkmann-swirl-finder-light.html), aka The Cruel Master, is one of my favorite tools, it's a must have for your detailing arsenal.

We also use it at every class we hold, it's indispensable for checking your results. I actually pack one with me wherever I go because I can help car owners see the swirls in their car's paint and sometimes this helps me to gain a new customer.

Most people are intrigued when they see you looking at their car's paint with this special light and that's all you need sometimes to open the door, especially if you want to go aver the Special Interest car market as a lot of people that own really cool cars don't even know what swirls are until you show them.

You can see us using it in this thread...

Pictures & Comments from October 17th, 2009 Saturday Detailing 101 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-saturday-detailing-101/21232-pictures-comments-porsche-space-coast-class-october-17th-2009-a.html)

Using the Brinkman Swirl Finder Light to show all the swirls have been removed.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/746/SpaceCoast010.jpg

It duplicates what the sun does. It's invaluable for our classes, especially if it's an overcast day. Without the sun you can't see before and after results unless you have the Brinkman.

I give it two thumbs up!

:dblthumb2:

fightnews
04-25-2017, 06:51 AM
I just got the tac light it's pretty strong but worth it. It showed me that using rupes keramick fine gelled polish was causing swirls so I skipped that step and went right to the ultrafine sf 3800

TMQ
04-25-2017, 07:58 AM
Fightnews:

Which Rupes pads did you use with ultrafine 3800?

Would the Rupes Diamond Ultra fine similar to the 3800? (Just wondering)

Tom

wildwilly1
04-25-2017, 08:14 AM
yeah i think i will retire the light for house use . i would be a nutcase trying to get paint to look good using this thing thx guys

Eldorado2k
04-25-2017, 08:42 AM
yeah i think i will retire the light for house use . i would be a nutcase trying to get paint to look good using this thing thx guys

No need to retire it. As Mike said, it's good to have multiple inspection lights available because you never know when 1 will work better than another based on numerous factors such as the time of day, clouds in the sky, color of the vehicle, type of defects, etc.. IMO nothing beats the sun, but it's always nice to be able to get at least a couple different perspectives just to make sure where you're at.

Setec Astronomy
04-25-2017, 08:43 AM
I have a flashlight that's blindingly bright and it's only 190 lumens...I can't imagine what 2000 lumens is like.

oneheadlite
04-25-2017, 09:44 AM
No need to retire it. As Mike said, it's good to have multiple inspection lights available because you never know when 1 will work better than another based on numerous factors such as the time of day, clouds in the sky, color of the vehicle, type of defects, etc.. IMO nothing beats the sun, but it's always nice to be able to get at least a couple different perspectives just to make sure where you're at.

Seems like now you know that it'll show you defects you'll never see under normal circumstances, all it would take is a little expectation calibration (don't stress about not getting perfection under that light) and you can figure out what level to refine to with that light so you get awesome results in the real world.

Eldorado2k
04-25-2017, 10:02 AM
Seems like now you know that it'll show you defects you'll never see under normal circumstances, all it would take is a little expectation calibration (don't stress about not getting perfection under that light) and you can figure out what level to refine to with that light so you get awesome results in the real world.

No, actually I can get what I consider perfection while using that light to inspect results without a problem.. IME the sun is the king of revealing every last bit that can be seen.

Sometimes that light can be helpful vs. the sun on certain paint colors such as silver [which can be blinding in direct sun]... But 9 times out of 10 the sun shows more than that flashlight can, at least that's the way I see it.

oneheadlite
04-25-2017, 10:09 AM
Cool, thanks for the info. My last correction was done without any fancy lighting, and while I've got a variety of LED options for my next round I just haven't had time to break out the buffer.