PDA

View Full Version : Signs of Single Stage Paint Failure

Coach Steve
04-22-2017, 02:39 AM
Hi Mike,

I've got a situation that just seems to defy logic with regard to single stage paint.

The subject vehicle is a black 2003 Lexus GS300. The car is in excellent condition with the exception of oxidation on the lateral surfaces. Looking at the oxidized areas, there is no evidence or indication that there are any kind of underlying problems. It just looks hazy. I've seen and corrected far worse oxidation than this.

Upon compounding the deck lid, I noticed light paint transfer on my pad. Ok, so it's single stage, no biggie.

I continued to compound that area employing the normal cross-hatch pattern with 4 or 5 passes. When I wiped the area, I noticed what looks like the earliest stages of clear coat fracturing - not quite to the crow's feet stage, but similar.

It looks more like millions of little pin holes, some of them looking like the beginnings of lines.

Knowing that it's single stage paint and not base coat/clear coat, which, as far as I know, rules out fracturing, what exactly am I dealing with. Is the early signs of paint failure? What does single stage paint failure even look like.

I should note that following the 3-step process indeed removed the oxidation completely, polished out to a brilliant shine, and looks beautiful after applying wax. Unfortunately, the defects are still there.

They aren't on the surface as I used a Nanoskin mitt immediately after washing and prior to beginning the compounding step.

I can provide pics if you want me to although getting a pic with the defect isolated and in focus is proving to be a challenge due to them being so small.

Any knowledge you can impart here as well as my options (if any) to eliminate this defect will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for doing what you do, Mike!

Regards,
Steve McLean
Reflections Auto Detail
Chandler, AZ

Mike Phillips
04-24-2017, 09:39 AM
I continued to compound that area employing the normal cross-hatch pattern with 4 or 5 passes. When I wiped the area, I noticed what looks like the earliest stages of clear coat fracturing - not quite to the crow's feet stage, but similar.

It looks more like millions of little pin holes, some of them looking like the beginnings of lines.

Hi Steve,

Does it look like this? See the little "dots" in the "after" side?

Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/25226-proof-you-can-do-joe-detailer-black-porsche-turned-into-black-pearl.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/855/BandT004.jpg

:)

Coach Steve
04-24-2017, 10:53 AM
Yup, just like that.

Toolhead
04-24-2017, 10:59 AM
im curious on mike's assessment to this..

Jaretr1
04-24-2017, 11:21 AM
My 91 Sentra which has single stage paint, when the paint began to fail, it fractured and cracked. Just no peeling of skin like on a clearcoat. In the areas it failed it looked like really bad acne on the paint.

Setec Astronomy
04-24-2017, 01:28 PM
Knowing that it's single stage paint and not base coat/clear coat, which, as far as I know, rules out fracturing

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but why would single-stage paint not be able to fracture?