PDA

View Full Version : Which DA Machine? Griots or Meguiars?

Pages : [1] 2 3

h8dirtycars
04-21-2017, 03:39 PM
Ok, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a DA polisher. I'm going to definitely buy the Griots Garage 3", because I can do the trim on the pillars and trunk deck on my lift gate, among other things. And they now have a 2 inch backing plate and pads available.

On the regular size machine, I have it narrowed down to the Meguiars MT300 or the Griots Garage 6" Random Orbital.

My questions are:
1- Are the backing plates interchangeable between the two brands?
2- If so, would the Meguiars DA microfiber correction kit work well on the Griots machine, or should I stick with the MT300?
3- I ask because the Meg's microfiber system seems good for a newbie, but there's a couple of packages available for both the Griots machines.
4- Are the microfiber pads better for a newbie than foam pads.

I know I'm going to have have to spend extra above and beyond the package deals, but it seems to make sense to buy them in a package to save some money.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Austin
04-21-2017, 03:43 PM
If you want to get 2 machines I would get the Griots 6" and switch it to the 3 inch boss backing plate. Then save and get a long throw. Either the G15 or G21. I don't see to many people using the griots 3" for more than a wax spreader.

h8dirtycars
04-21-2017, 03:46 PM
That's a thought, thanks.

Austin
04-21-2017, 03:49 PM
To add to my first post. If you are looking at using a system the griots Boss system has worked wonders for me. I use Fast correcting cream + MF pads then Perfecting cream and yellow pads on most jobs that I do. The whole Boss line has been top notch for myself. Passed that it's just getting time behind the machine and mastering it.

Cruzscarwash
04-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Griots hands down, the system will still work with the griots machine.

Machine wise the griots is the best of the 2 plus a warranty you can't beat. Plus you add the different backing plates and the extra power and you can't beat it

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Buster906
04-21-2017, 03:58 PM
I have the GG 6, GG 3 and M/T 300. THE GG 3 works well for small areas. The GG 6 and 3 have a lifetime warranty. The M/T 300 has a lock for the power on so one can let go of the switch. All three are good machines in my opinion. Meguiars microfiber pads I also have. Two 5in cutting and finishing pads. The pads work quite well with Meguiars polishes about and waxes and cutting compounds

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

h8dirtycars
04-21-2017, 04:10 PM
Awesome advice, thanks. Just the info I'm looking for, will make it much easier to make a decision. The advice is so concise, that I don't have any follow up questions to the answers.

mikejames
04-21-2017, 04:13 PM
Griots (GG6) is your best choice by far. Best customer service and warranty period! I bought a used GG6 off Ebay and the speed dial didn't work, so I sent it in for repair to Griots with a message it was bought used from Ebay. They replaced the polisher with a brand new one and sent it to me no charge, all in less then 1 weeks time.

That was my first Griots product I ever purchased, and their customer service gained them a customer for life. I now have the Boss creams, interior cleaner, detail spray, and several of the PFM towels. All are top notch products. The PFM drying towels are the best drying towels I have ever used and worth every penny.

h8dirtycars
04-21-2017, 04:19 PM
Griots (GG6) is your best choice by far. Best customer service and warranty period! I bought a used GG6 off Ebay and the speed dial didn't work, so I sent it in for repair to Griots with a message it was bought used from Ebay. They replaced the polisher with a brand new one and sent it to me no charge, all in less then 1 weeks time.

That was my first Griots product I ever purchased, and their customer service gained them a customer for life. I now have the Boss creams, interior cleaner, detail spray, and several of the PFM towels. All are top notch products. The PFM drying towels are the best drying towels I have ever used and worth every penny.

That pretty much does it, then. Customer service is key, along with how good posters say the Griots is. And the fact that I can use the Meg's system with it is a plus.

Thanks to all for the quick response and advice!

Klasse Act
04-21-2017, 04:23 PM
Griot's, hands down, lifetime warranty no matter where you bought it. In addition to this, there's an option for them to hardwire a 25' foot cord too!

Jolakri
04-21-2017, 04:34 PM
I agree with Austin because I did exactly what he said to do. I purchased a GG6 about 3 years ago. Used it extensively detailing our cars and learning the trade while reading forums and on the job(pleasure) experience. I became hooked and had time because this all started after I retired. I wanted to move to the next level, so I purchased a Griots Boss 15 last spring. Put a 3 inch bp on the GG6 and it works like a charm. The Boss works like I expected. I chose the 15 because of the smaller pad and if I need a 6 inch pad I can always go back to the 6 inch pad on my GG6. Don't see that happening though. I am now covered with a 5 and 3 inch pads using both machines. Hope this helps.

Mantilgh
04-21-2017, 04:44 PM
I have the GG 6, GG 3 and M/T 300. THE GG 3 works well for small areas. The GG 6 and 3 have a lifetime warranty. The M/T 300 has a lock for the power on so one can let go of the switch. All three are good machines in my opinion. Meguiars microfiber pads I also have. Two 5in cutting and finishing pads. The pads work quite well with Meguiars polishes about and waxes and cutting compounds

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The Griots machines don't have locking trigger?

I figured they did, and would think it is a necessity for any real work.

I think you be good to go with a GG6 and a 5" backing plate and the BOSS polishes and BOSS 5.5" pads. That and their 3" BOSS set up.

I think the BOSS microfiber pads are very newb friendly. They don't seem to get matted down like others do.

Cruzscarwash
04-21-2017, 04:45 PM
The gg6 doesn't have a trigger it has an on/off switch, the boss Polishers have locking triggers

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
04-21-2017, 04:47 PM
The Griots machines don't have locking trigger?

I figured they did, and would think it is a necessity for any real work.

I think you be good to go with a GG6 and a 5" backing plate and the BOSS pads and polishes. That and their 3" BOSS set up.

More like an on off switch rather then a trigger. But then again you knew that.

Mantilgh
04-21-2017, 04:52 PM
Ah, I see!:xyxthumbs: