PDA

View Full Version : Question about tire dressing application

koj11
04-20-2017, 12:24 PM
When applying a tire dressing, is everyone using their applicator to really get the product onto the angled bead portion of the tire next to the rim, or are you just applying product to the main part of the tire's sidewall? I've been using the edge of the applicator to get it down all the way to where the tire contacts the rim, but have started second guessing that now.

The reason for my indecision is a very long and ongoing noise issue I've been getting for months that (after checking many things myself and my dealership checking many things as well) appears to be my tires rubbing or flexing on the rims. It's an awful rubbing/scraping type noise. Anyways, I'm getting new tires put on in a couple days to confirm that this is indeed the issue, but I've started to wonder if maybe my application of product all the way to the rim like that may have created an issue.

So how does everyone else do it?

koj11
04-20-2017, 12:28 PM
Forgot to add that the specific product I've been using for quite some time on these tires is Sonax tire gel.

Setec Astronomy
04-20-2017, 12:31 PM
I always try to dress in that area and have never had a problem.

zmcgovern45
04-20-2017, 12:34 PM
I also dress that area and have never had issues...

Are you running OEM wheels & tire sizes?

grovlet
04-20-2017, 12:51 PM
I can't imagine any tire gel/dressing causing enough slickness to have the tires spin on the wheel? Sounds to me like that would be cause for a warranty issue with the tire manufacturer - and of course replacement tires.....

I use Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel - I have never had an issue....

That sort of issue is seen on cars with Drag Radials though - although that's high HP/super sticky tires - doubt that's the case here - LOL:hotrod2:

Paul A.
04-20-2017, 12:59 PM
I also dress into the bead as much as possible and can't imagine that causing any noise issues. Let us know what you find out.

koj11
04-20-2017, 01:13 PM
I am still running the OEM wheels and tires (19" h-spoke wheels and Continental tires). The vehicle is a 2014 Ford Fusion. This problem didn't show up until about 6 months ago. It's definitely wheel/tire related, as the noise was gone all winter when I was running my winter wheels/tires. I had never heard of such a thing, but in the massive amount of internet research I've done, it seems to be a real (albeit rare) thing for tires to rub or flex on a rim and cause a noise often diagnosed as bearing, cv, or brake noise. In most all of these instances, replacing the tires seemed to fix the issue. I'll know for sure in a few days when I replace mine I suppose, I'd just been thinking of the tire dressing since the issue seems to be with multiple tires of mine, not just the one. I'm going to have the tire shop make sure they clean up the wheels very well before mounting the new tires. My dealer had tried to fix the issue by dismounting the tires and slathering the beads with what didn't seem to be regular bead lube. It was thick and dark like axle grease and was a gross mess all over the wheels and sidewalls. Not an acceptable solution, but the noise did go away for a time before returning again (possibly because the grease was drying up?).

Rsurfer
04-20-2017, 01:39 PM
Interesting.

Jaretr1
04-20-2017, 03:18 PM
I have heard of tires "slipping" or rubbing on a wheel. The cause must either be defective tires or a poorly designed wheel. But it certainly would not be caused by a tire gel. The longer the rubber stays soft and pliable the better, and a tire protector helps that, helps keep the rubber from drying out.

koj11
04-21-2017, 04:28 PM
New tires came in yesterday and went on this morning. Problem solved. I had hoped to get another year out of the stock tires, but it's money well spent to get rid of that awful noise.

On a side note, Pilot Super Sports are amazing!