PDA

View Full Version : Normal for pads to get loaded with sealant?

Mer2112
04-20-2017, 06:13 AM
OK, newbie question.

Just getting started in "detailing" and have only used my DA to apply a sealant so far. When I finished up this weekend and went to remove my pad for cleaning, there was sealant oozing out of the pad as I peeled it off and when I was cleaning it, I could squeeze it out of the pad. It's almost like it was working its way away from the face and toward the hook and loop side along the way. There was no sealant flinging around while I was using it so I don't think I was adding too much.

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the help.

dlc95
04-20-2017, 07:03 AM
Never had that happen!

I start my sealing process with a ring of product around the outer edge of the pad, and make it go until the pad stops laying a thin layer of product. I'll then apply another ring, or three drops of sealant. I'll often touch the pad to make sure it's moist with product.

This gives me the ideal "thin layer", and keeps the pad from absorbing so much product.

Another option might be a closed cell Lake Country Hydroctech pad, which inhibits product absorption into the foam.

VR8
04-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Not knowing what kind of pad you were using, my first guess is that you were using too much product. It's always surprising how far a ring of product on your pad will actually go. On a dark car its much easier to see the application, on lighter cars it's typical to put more on because you can't see it as well. So, what kind of pad and what color car? LOL

Mer2112
04-20-2017, 03:36 PM
Thanks everyone,

I was using black Lake Country CCS pads on a dark grey car. Would pushing too hard or not hard enough cause this? I did the marker trick on the backing plate and made sure the pad was spinning as much as I could. I know it's because I'm new at this and don't have the "feel" for it yet, but I want to learn from my mistakes.

Thanks

MarkD51
04-20-2017, 03:43 PM
It happens. I've done it with Polishes, and it's probably why Mike Phillips says "In a perfect world, 1 Panel, 1 Pad". At least in regards to polishes due to the nasties as well being pulled off the paint surface.

And in regards to applying sealants or waxes with a D/A:

There's really no benefits or need to acquire Pad rotation when applying such unless you might be using an AIO. Which then means too, you can dial down that speed, no need for say speed 5 or 6 on something like a PC7424XP. Speeds 3-4 will be more suitable for such.

The "jiggle" will massage the product in quite well for even application.

That's one major reason I never sold off my Waxcoa-Craftsman Orbital "Waxers", they work quite fine for applying waxes, sealants, and even Glazes, save a lot of time and elbow grease both applying and removing product, especially when you're dealing with lots of square footage.

MarkD51
04-20-2017, 03:54 PM
When just "only" applying either a wax, or a sealant, and not doing any pre-cleaning or pre-polishing of the paint, it will be a good idea to have a number of pads (2-4) on hand and change them out as you go.

That even a beauty-estate wax or pure sealant that has no cleaners will still pull various crud off the paint surface due to their carrier solvents in the formulas.

The cleaner you work, the better benefit for the paint.