PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys include wash/decontaminate to total hours billing?

Pages : [1] 2

TMQ
04-19-2017, 08:10 PM
I was reviewing VIR and it mentioned that a one step (AIO) at around 4 hours. I was able to complete a one step job in 4 1/2 hours! I was pretty proud of that. But the whole process
took me 6 1/2 hours. 2 hours to wash/decontaminate/wheels/dry and tape. Then 4 1/2 to complete a one step (AIO).

Do you bill the customer for 4 1/2 hours (polishing only) or do you bill for the whole process (wash through end of polishing)?

Tom

TTQ B4U
04-19-2017, 08:37 PM
I don't bill by the hour, I sell packages and base my pricing on my personal goal of $50/hr.+

For a basic sedan, like you, I spend about 1.5 to 2hrs washing and decontaminating the vehicle and prepping it for buffer work. I use a flex 3401 and can finish the car in 3-4hrs for a total of 5-6 hours. Larger vehicles may go 7-8 hours. Again, my pricing reflects my time so to answer your question, yes, I bill for all hours I work on their vehicles.

TMQ
04-19-2017, 09:17 PM
pdqgp,

Thank you! That was I was thinking earlier, but wanted to confirm!

Tom

Cruzscarwash
04-19-2017, 11:38 PM
I average a sedan in about 4.5 hrs with wash/clay as I'm washing (rinseless) and AIO. The majority of my polishes are AIO jobs now.

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

dcjredline
04-20-2017, 12:54 AM
Do you want to do that work for free? That is totally up to you but I dont want to do it for free.

TMQ
04-20-2017, 05:24 AM
Can you knock out a car in 4 1/2 hours???

Wash/decontaminate/polish....all in that time frame? Isn't that fast for a one man operation? Thought one needs to
at least give the AIO a chance to cut/polish before moving in onto next panel!

Tom

DetailKitty
04-20-2017, 07:09 AM
I most definitely include all that. I also bill by the job or package, not by the hour.

And yes, I can get an entire vehicle done in 4.5 hours. I like to space out that 4.5 hours, but I could do it all together.

TMQ
04-20-2017, 08:30 AM
DK---Really!!

I must be really bad! It takes me 35 minutes just to get all four wheels done!
Then Iron-x, add the foam, wash the dirt and iron-x off and rinse.
Foam the 2nd time, nanoskin the paint---final rinse.
Dry and tape off areas.
All this about an hour and 45 minutes or so...

Then takes me 4 1/2 to polish out the whole car---4 1/2 hours just to polish!

Gotta reduce time spent!

I'll get it down somehow w/o compromising quality of the work.

Tom

DetailKitty
04-20-2017, 08:35 AM
Well, I will say my past clients have all kept their vehicles in nice shape. They are trashed like some jobs people have posted on here.

Cruzscarwash
04-20-2017, 08:39 AM
You have to remember your using an AIO so it's a "budget" polish. I do maybe 4 passes Max and then move on. If they wanted a full correction then that should have been paid for, now I'm not kicking out #### work either but I'm putting out the best for the time that's paid for using the AIO that they are happy with.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

KMG
04-20-2017, 08:42 AM
Most of my work is based off an hourly rate, however I give the customer a total price upfront. I know roughly how long a job is going to take me and set my prices accordingly. Sometimes it will take slightly longer and sometimes it will take slightly less time. I really don't do AIO jobs anymore however though. You should be able to do a mid-size car with a product like HD Speed in 2-3 hours though.

patricemougeot
04-20-2017, 08:52 AM
So if I understand, you guy's do a car only on the exterior in about 4.5 to 6 hours not counting the inside of the car?

Cruzscarwash
04-20-2017, 08:53 AM
Yes, well in my case, wash, clay, polish, rims, windows in and out, wipe door jams and a quick vacuum of the interior with wipe down of the dash. 95% is definitely all exterior work

patricemougeot
04-20-2017, 08:55 AM
So by doing both, you might be looking at at 8 hours worth of time. Gives us a pretty good idea of what needs to be charged.

Cruzscarwash
04-20-2017, 09:02 AM
Well don't forget Interiors can easily be a 6 plus he job as well, it all depends on the car. For example I have a client coming in with a 350z that all the seats are caked in mud from his 2 dogs. Who puts muddy dogs in a 350 idk but I don't see this being a 4 hr job and will be removing seats as well