PDA

View Full Version : Coating or sealant?

mcate
04-19-2017, 06:04 PM
A customer is bringing me a silver 2006 Mercedes this weekend for a detail. I know she takes the car through the local tunnel washes, so my question is should I recommend she have me coat it, or just do my regular sealant? How do coatings do with tunnel washes?

AZpolisher15
04-19-2017, 07:25 PM
I don't have first hand experience with coatings. But if she's going back into the tunnel for more washes, I'd just use an all in one and be done with it. No sense in aiming for perfection in the coating prep step if it's going to see repeated tunnel washes in the foreseeable future. But that's just me.

TMQ
04-19-2017, 07:31 PM
Ditto what Harpolith said...Don't bother with coatings. Just spray on sealant and be done.

Tom

TTQ B4U
04-19-2017, 07:32 PM
A customer is bringing me a silver 2006 Mercedes this weekend for a detail. I know she takes the car through the local tunnel washes, so my question is should I recommend she have me coat it, or just do my regular sealant? How do coatings do with tunnel washes?

I wouldn't push more than a basic detail and AIO product. No need to bust-tail or waste their money on fully correcting a daily that is going to see tunnel washes. Use an AIO or a polish and something like Collinite 476 and be done.

mcate
04-19-2017, 08:24 PM
Good to see we're all in agreement! I feel the same way. I couldn't see charging her for a coating if it won't stand up to those brushes. I've looked at the car. It's got a couple of scratches that I'll have to hand rub out. After that? I'm thinking HD Speed!

TMQ
04-19-2017, 09:31 PM
I love speed!
Since Mercedes tend to have hard clear---was wondering if speed will be up to the task?
Hope someone will chime in on this.

Tom

mcate
04-19-2017, 09:51 PM
Speed is the only AIO I've got, so if it won't cut enough I've got HD Cut+ & Menz SHC400.

custmsprty
04-19-2017, 09:57 PM
Speed is the only AIO I've got, so if it won't cut enough I've got HD Cut+ & Menz SHC400.

Are you doing an AIO or a full multi step correction? Either way both are a waste of time as the first time she runs it through a "tunnel" wash all your hours of work will be undone.

This brings up another question, what are her expectations and what is she willing to pay for the "detail".

Wash it, wax it (Speed) and send her on her way.

I did a friends Z last year about this time, total correction. It's hacked and swirled out to the hilt all over again. And it was like that less than a couple months later and it's not a daily driver.

TMQ
04-19-2017, 10:07 PM
Hummm..
I'm liking what you're saying custmsprty. So speed will be just good enough then, if it doesn't cut at least it'll be waxed. Never thought of that way!

Tom

custmsprty
04-19-2017, 10:32 PM
Hummm..
I'm liking what you're saying custmsprty. So speed will be just good enough then, if it doesn't cut at least it'll be waxed. Never thought of that way!

Tom

Speed will cut very well with an LC or B & S Orange Pad and finish down very well. I always build in an extra little bit when I quote an aio Speed job and top with Poxy. Why? It looks better and lasts longer and the customer is super happy. I can appply a coat of Poxy in less then 15 minutes and wipe off in about the same time. Some disagree, but to each their own. If it only adds 30 minutes or so to the over all job and I account for it monetarily I'm down with it.

Mantilgh
04-20-2017, 07:41 AM
Any chance of educating her in the errors of her ways and having you maintain it, or convincing her use the touchless?

mcate
04-20-2017, 09:45 AM
Any chance of educating her in the errors of her ways and having you maintain it, or convincing her use the touchless?

Believe me, I've tried! She's just one of those people who isn't into washing cars by hand. I've even told her all about ONR & how easy it is to use. She's a co-worker here (& a fellow Navy retiree) & she just bought the car. She had a Volvo C70 before that I did, but it got totaled. She'll probably have me do this car every spring. I'm figuring just wash, clay, polish & seal. Like cstmsprty said, I'll probably use Speed & top it off with a coat of Poxy. $150 for 5 or 6 hrs work.

mcate
04-20-2017, 09:48 AM
Speed will cut very well with an LC or B & S Orange Pad and finish down very well. I always build in an extra little bit when I quote an aio Speed job and top with Poxy. Why? It looks better and lasts longer and the customer is super happy. I can appply a coat of Poxy in less then 15 minutes and wipe off in about the same time. Some disagree, but to each their own. If it only adds 30 minutes or so to the over all job and I account for it monetarily I'm down with it.

Agreed. It might take me a little longer than 15 min to apply sealant because I do it by hand. (Got tired of trying to get sealants out of my buffer pads!)