PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Spirits for Tire Cleaner?

Pages : [1] 2

zmcgovern45
04-19-2017, 02:30 PM
Does anyone use a solvent like Mineral Spirits for tire cleaning?

I traditionally use Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner and scrub my tires with a brush, however when there is serious gunk on them I have always just sprayed tarminator onto a towel and easily wiped the gunk away... I just get tired of buying tons of tarminator since the aerosol cans don't get you very far. I've always thought tarminator seemed very familiar to mineral spirits based on the consistency and smell, so I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with it.

Before Tarminator
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/AttentiontoDetailingPeoria/2014%20Chevrolet%20Corvette%20Premier%20Edition/20150416-DSC_3091_zpsv43nyvm1.jpg

After Tarminator (no dressing)
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/AttentiontoDetailingPeoria/2014%20Chevrolet%20Corvette%20Premier%20Edition/20150416-DSC_3092_zpspotpu3el.jpg

WillSports3
04-19-2017, 02:37 PM
I don't think mineral spirits would be good for your tires, it'll soften your sidewalls, essentially eating a layer of it.

zmcgovern45
04-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Brake Cleaner used to clean Tires? (http://www.autopia.org/forums/car-detailing/170386-brake-cleaner-clean-tires.html)

Found this old thread... answers my question

Eldorado2k
04-19-2017, 03:00 PM
Brake Cleaner used to clean Tires? (http://www.autopia.org/forums/car-detailing/170386-brake-cleaner-clean-tires.html)

Found this old thread... answers my question

So which side of the fence are you deciding to be on?
... That was quite the lecture about "sidewall degradation/failure" in that thread... I've never seen a tires sidewall fail in my whole life, and that's coming from someone who buys used tires for my daily driver. Sidewall failure? Mkay. Lol.

zmcgovern45
04-19-2017, 03:01 PM
I will operate under the principal of "only use a heavier solvent if/when needed"... and not for regular cleaning.

So the same thing I do now.

fly07sti
04-19-2017, 06:10 PM
Hey Zach, I've used mineral spirits and brake kleen to get some stuff off tires occasionally but it's definitely not the norm. Also with the Tarminator, I buy it in 5 gallon container directly from Stoner.

zmcgovern45
04-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Hey Zach, I've used mineral spirits and brake kleen to get some stuff off tires occasionally but it's definitely not the norm. Also with the Tarminator, I buy it in 5 gallon container directly from Stoner.

5 gal? That is quite a bit now that I am not working professionally. It would take me years to get through that.

Do you want to sell a gallon of it :)

conman1395
04-19-2017, 08:41 PM
You think it "seems" similar to Tarminator? Is that according to the MSDS or your nose?

I'd just buy Tarminator in larger quantities if I were you. I've never had to use anything other than Duragloss Ultimate Orange straight when Ultimate Orange diluted takes too long.

parttimer
04-20-2017, 06:38 AM
There was a thread on Facebook in regards to someone using MS to prep a tire for Black Pearl tire coating. Seems others are doing this.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-20-2017, 07:21 AM
I've used Tarminator on tires and it seems to be too harsh. It leaves streaks in the rubber.

Setec Astronomy
04-20-2017, 07:56 AM
I think it was Flash(Gordon) who used to advocate cleaning difficult tires with lacquer thinner.

That is quite a bit now that I am not working professionally.

Huh? What?? St. Louis??? You sold your company and moved to St. Louis? Changed FT jobs?

zmcgovern45
04-20-2017, 09:03 AM
You think it "seems" similar to Tarminator? Is that according to the MSDS or your nose?

I'd just buy Tarminator in larger quantities if I were you. I've never had to use anything other than Duragloss Ultimate Orange straight when Ultimate Orange diluted takes too long.
Yeah, just the way it smells and feels... similar to MS in my opinion.

I've used Tarminator on tires and it seems to be too harsh. It leaves streaks in the rubber.
Hmm - I've never experienced that. When needed, we spray tarminator onto a towel and then simply wipe the tires with the towel, then wipe with a wet towel afterwards. Works like a charm to remove stubborn build up and that gunk on the tire after they get mounted.

Huh? What?? St. Louis??? You sold your company and moved to St. Louis? Changed FT jobs?
Correct... I sold my detailing business in Peoria and my family moved back to St. Louis area to be closer to family. I've started a new engineering job and currently have no plans to get back into detailing as it was just too much of a burden on my family trying to juggle 2 full time jobs (engineering and detailing). Not enough time in a day to handle it all unfortunately. I'll still be involved in the detailing world with product reviews/articles, etc.

Bill1234
04-20-2017, 09:10 AM
For heavier soiled tires, im using zep 505, which in all honesty is probably not that strong chemical wise.

Setec Astronomy
04-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Correct... I sold my detailing business in Peoria and my family moved back to St. Louis area to be closer to family. I've started a new engineering job and currently have no plans to get back into detailing as it was just too much of a burden on my family trying to juggle 2 full time jobs (engineering and detailing). Not enough time in a day to handle it all unfortunately. I'll still be involved in the detailing world with product reviews/articles, etc.

Holy cow, I figured you were a lifer at that other place. Another big company?

zmcgovern45
04-20-2017, 09:31 AM
Holy cow, I figured you were a lifer at that other place. Another big company?

Nope, a very small company actually :) Feel free to PM me if you wanna chat