PDA

View Full Version : Black Honda Paint

986DTM
04-19-2017, 11:32 AM
Going to be doing a one step on black 2015 Accord soon. From what I've read the paint is super soft and finicky. I plan to use Menzerna 3 in 1 with a PC polisher. I have orange, white, and black LC pads. The goal is to correct as much as possible without leaving any haze or holograms. Any tips on what pad I should use, machine speed, or technique would be appreciated.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
04-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Going to be doing a one step on black 2015 Accord soon. From what I've read the paint is super soft and finicky. I plan to use Menzerna 3 in 1 with a PC polisher. I have orange, white, and black LC pads. The goal is to correct as much as possible without leaving any haze or holograms. Any tips on what pad I should use, machine speed, or technique would be appreciated.

Speed 4.5 and up on the pc, anything lower your not going to do much correction.

I use McKee's 37 Fast Polish and have great success on 1 steps. Your going to end up using White or Orange.

I would try the orange first, do your complete buffing cycle wipe off, and make sure there is no haze.

TTQ B4U
04-19-2017, 11:53 AM

I've used HDSpeed with an orange pad and had excellent results on Honda and Subaru's which are both soft paints.

986DTM
04-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys. I don't have speed but I know its less aggressive than the menzerna product I have. Think I'm leaning a bit more towards the white pad right now to be safe. I'm guessing that would be comparable to using an orange pad with speed. I'll have to do a test spot to be sure. Soft black paint is the worst.

TTQ B4U
04-19-2017, 02:07 PM
Essence is another excellent product for soft black paint. I use it a lot on the gloss B pillars of vehicles.

Rsurfer
04-19-2017, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys. I don't have speed but I know its less aggressive than the menzerna product I have. Think I'm leaning a bit more towards the white pad right now to be safe. I'm guessing that would be comparable to using an orange pad with speed. I'll have to do a test spot to be sure. Soft black paint is the worst.

You are correct, least aggressive first and always do a test spot first. Good luck on Honda's black paint doing a one step.

WillSports3
04-19-2017, 02:45 PM
Another thumbs up for essence. If it's a Japanese car, there is no compounding and then polishing. There is only essence and orange pad.

986DTM
04-19-2017, 02:56 PM
So you are suggesting that essence fills well enough and/or finishes down nicely enough that you can prevent any hazing or holograms you might get from stepping up to a more aggressive pad?

I have essence, though I haven't used it yet so I wasn't sure about negotiating the learning curve on a paid job where time = money.

Rsurfer
04-19-2017, 03:11 PM
So you are suggesting that essence fills well enough and/or finishes down nicely enough that you can prevent any hazing or holograms you might get from stepping up to a more aggressive pad?

I have essence, though I haven't used it yet so I wasn't sure about negotiating the learning curve on a paid job where time = money.

Depends on the condition of the paint, whether or not Essence can be your friend. Since you already have it, try a test spot.

Shawnuff
04-19-2017, 03:40 PM
I used griots garage black microfiber pad with an aio on my black honda paint with fantastic results. Love that pad

Eric@CherryOnTop
04-19-2017, 03:46 PM
Speed 4.5 and up on the pc, anything lower your not going to do much correction.

I use McKee's 37 Fast Polish and have great success on 1 steps. Your going to end up using White or Orange.

I would try the orange first, do your complete buffing cycle wipe off, and make sure there is no haze.

I agree with this, only I would do a spot right next to what you did with the orange pad with a white pad. Just to make sure the orange pad isn't leaving any hazing behind that you wouldn't otherwise see.

Rsurfer
04-19-2017, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=Shawnuff;1483223]I used griots garage black microfiber pad with an aio on my black honda paint with fantastic results. Love that pad.

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab184/shawnuff/IMG_20160314_105825.jpg (http://s862.photobucket.com/user/shawnuff/media/IMG_20160314_105825.jpg.html)
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab184/shawnuff/IMG_20160314_105832.jpg (http://s862.photobucket.com/user/shawnuff/media/IMG_20160314_105832.jpg.html)[/QUOTENut

Not to insult you, but the outer ring from the sun looks like swirls in the first picture.

Shawnuff
04-19-2017, 04:11 PM
Damn it sure does, my bad