PDA

View Full Version : Which version of Nanoskin?

brettS4
04-18-2017, 11:09 AM
Since I really hate using clay, I think it's time I moved on to a different product. I only detail a few cars a year (mine, relatives) and it's not so much an issue of time. I'm wondering if any particular format gives the best results (on a car with minimal contaminants), and if ease of use varies much.

Here are the pros and cons, as far as I can tell:

DA pad: more thorough but adds another step using a DA (not fun on lower panels)
Mitt: can be combined with washing (basically removing a step)
Towel: similar to mitt?
Sponge: cheap but doesn't cover as much area so it takes longer; harder to handle than mitt/towel?

Based on that info, I'm leaning toward purchasing a 'fine' mitt.

Is there any significant advantage to using (or avoiding) any particular type?

fly07sti
04-18-2017, 11:26 AM
I have the sponge/blocks, towels and mitts but the majority of the time I grab a mitt. Covers a lot of area and really speeds up the decon process.

Audios S6
04-18-2017, 11:41 AM
The blocks, mitts and towels are tactile and audible. Less tactile than clay, but still very audible.

The DA pads are neither tactile nor audible so you really have no indication of stuff is gone until you stop and check your work.

For me, I don't dry a car before claying, I use a stronger dilution of ONR, so then mitt adds a step of rinsing for me if I use soap.

I've gone back to a clay bar for 50% of my work. The towel for anything beyond an AIO and the DA for heavy contamination. I have a couple mitts and use them for correction work and anytime I have a helper as the clay then soap rinsing process is still faster in that case.

parshooter
04-18-2017, 12:35 PM
I've only used the sponge. Have done it 3 times. Didn't seem to take long at all, and it was easy to handle.

lane5515
04-18-2017, 01:09 PM
I use the NanoSkin Mitt - medium. I've tried the fine and it just doesn't cut it most of the time.

DetailKitty
04-18-2017, 01:41 PM
I use the mitts and love them. And like Audio S6 said, very tactile so you can feel your progress.

Kamakaz1961
04-18-2017, 02:23 PM
I am a HUGE FANBOY of the Blue Sponge Wash Mitt. Love it! Your car is already wet and has soap suds and that is your lubrication. This alone will reduce your clay time significantly! This is the only method I use when claying. I do have the sponge but rarely use it.

FYI

TMQ
04-18-2017, 02:34 PM
Ditto what Kamakaz1961 said. Really love my blue mitt!

Tom

elmoore
05-19-2017, 03:20 PM
I've had very disappointing experiences with my (blue) Nanoskin wash mitt. It doesn't pick up any of the visible contaminants that traditional clay will get: little black dots (tar?) and orange-brown dots (bug or sap?). If I press harder, it just leaves black streaks that can only be removed with tar remover. Has it gone bad or were there known defects? I've only done maybe 5 cars with it but I've had it for a couple years.

Angus
05-19-2017, 03:33 PM
Mitt for me too. I have the small Nanoskin sponge too but rarely use it. The mitt and a nice soapy bucket is all you need to get the job done FAST.

Crispy
05-19-2017, 04:52 PM
I use the Speedy Prep Towel (fine).

An appropriate lube and done in no time.

Key for me is do "baggy test" first to see if needed.