PDA

View Full Version : Grit guards for wheel/tire bucket

Coopers ST
04-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Like the title says, do you use grit guards in your wheel/tire bucket? I have extras, and think about it, but think it would be pointless as the water is so dirty, and for tires and most wheels does dirty water really matter.

Hammer77
04-17-2017, 01:00 PM
I see no need for one. I just fill up my tire/wheel bucket with water and Hyper Wash throw the brushes in, and go to town.

Marc08EX
04-17-2017, 01:03 PM
I don't because I don't see the need for it. Like you said, the water gets so dirty.

Powerwheels
04-17-2017, 01:17 PM
My cars are so clean I rarely use 2 buckets, oh no! Mustang Is 4 years old and has almost no swirls after hundreds of washes. It's black and I'm pretty damn picky. Never needed a grit gaurd. On cars that get dirter I suppose it is of benefit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Pats300zx
04-17-2017, 01:53 PM
I don't use one in my wheel bucket. Save it for your rinseless wash bucket :)

Calendyr
04-17-2017, 02:04 PM
Don't use one either. Maybe it would help, not sure. Water is usually black after one wheel. So I see very little gain from one. I guess if I had a spare one I would throw it in there, could not hurt.

KirkH
04-17-2017, 03:04 PM
I have so many grit guards lying around that I have one in the bottom of every bucket.

osiapstndp
04-17-2017, 03:53 PM
I use a grit guard in my wheel bucket because it makes my brushes and mitt easier to reach - I don't have to stick my hand and arm all the way down to the bottom anymore. I also use the grit guard washboard in the bucket and it makes for even easier access because the tools rest in a more upward position. It's also helpful to use the washboard for its intended purpose - rub your mitt and brushes on it to remove dirt and debris.

VISITOR
04-17-2017, 03:54 PM
i have a spare one and use it in the tire/wheel bucket so the brushes don't sit at the bottom where all the dirt is..

oboroballa03
04-17-2017, 04:52 PM
After i use the brush before putting it back in the bucket i give it a quick rinse to get most the dirt and stuff off it helps a lot. If not after one wheel the water is dirty and it bothers me trying to clean wheels, tires etc. with dirty water just makes no sense to me lol thats why i spray them off. I also only detail cars on weekends no official business so the few extra minutes doesn't kill me but i still see no point in a grit guard for wheels fenders and tires. Everyone has their own ways of doing things some people might think my way is ridiculous but i would do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

expdetailing
04-17-2017, 08:00 PM
I have one in my wheel bucket, and I use a second bucket for rinsing brushes so that I'm not scrubbing my rims with dirty brushes. It helps.

LEDetailing
04-17-2017, 10:35 PM
I use a grit guard in my wheel bucket because it makes my brushes and mitt easier to reach - I don't have to stick my hand and arm all the way down to the bottom anymore. I also use the grit guard washboard in the bucket and it makes for even easier access because the tools rest in a more upward position. It's also helpful to use the washboard for its intended purpose - rub your mitt and brushes on it to remove dirt and debris.

Agreed, keeps my wheel mitt out of the grossness that is on the bottom. Also keeps brush off the bottom.

You guys aren't 2bm your wheel buckets!? Me either:)

LEDetailing
04-17-2017, 10:40 PM
I have one in my wheel bucket, and I use a second bucket for rinsing brushes so that I'm not scrubbing my rims with dirty brushes. It helps.

Guess the 2BM wheel buckets can't hurt. I get sick of bring out three buckets. I'd definitely need two bucket dollies then.

Setec Astronomy
04-20-2017, 07:02 AM
Like many of you, I don't...but I've thought about it. I'm sure it's a good idea based on how much grit winds up in the bottom of the bucket...but it's a change in routine for me, larger buckets, inertia, etc. Plus I'd ideally add more buckets because I use different buckets for wheels simply because of the grit and I don't want to cross-contaminate to my regular wash buckets.