PDA

View Full Version : UV damage? factory spoiler Nissan Juke. repair replace or hide under vinyl?

maxnukem
04-16-2017, 05:50 PM
I found plenty of information about clear coat and paint issues but my spoiler is of a different material and has issues with patches of color faded to white and lines coming through (some that you can feel)

My car is a DD that I keep outside. I have had it about 4 years since i drove it off the dealership lot and only the top of the spoiler looks like this. I just noticed the issue when i did spring deep clean of the exterior. I break out the DA polisher once or twice a year and in the meantime use the occasional touchless auto wash or have my kids wash the family cars (after training a few basics). I'll go out and do a thorough wash myself and follow up with collinite 845 wax every couple of months. Its been a busy spring and this is the first time I've looked at the roof in a good long while. In one picture, you can see where I pulled a vinyl stripe off that I added a couple years ago and the surface is unblemished underneath. The spoiler is a different material with a bit of give to it... some type of plastic I'm guessing?

I wouldn't think it is normal for automotive body parts to look like this after just a couple of years outside, even if I live in a southern region (SC). Is that an unreasonable expectation? I haven't found any complaints of similar problems posted online and since my Juke is one of the first ones that came off the dealer lot with the Nismo trim (includes this specific spoiler), I thought perhaps there was some manufacturer issue that I'll get to be the guinea pig for. I'll probably contact my dealership just to check if anyone else has had similar problems.

In the meantime, any restoration suggestions? I have already washed, clayed, and hit entire car with Meg 205 on red Meg pad and them jumped straight to the collonite so i wouldn't leave the surfaced unprotected while I decide what to do next.

VISITOR
04-16-2017, 06:02 PM
that looks like CC failure = repaint

PA DETAILER
04-16-2017, 06:14 PM
No expert, but it does look like CC damage. Don't know off hand Nissan's paint warranty, but check. Can't hurt.

maxnukem
04-16-2017, 09:59 PM
I just find it odd that only the spoiler is showing issues. Again, it is a completely different material so I suppose that explains why damage is isolated there and the rest of the car looks great after I polished it. But I really wasn't expecting clear coat failure on a 4 year old vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

maxnukem
04-16-2017, 10:05 PM
I noticed my photos lost resolution when I posted so I'm going to try to re-upload one that shows the fiber pattern coming through. I'm certain this isn't fiberglass but it has a bunch of lines showing up.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170417/65d7332eb14b14c80b5495f4d3159828.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Setec Astronomy
04-20-2017, 06:40 AM
That isn't the "fiber" showing through, it's just crazing from the clearcoat failure. Those plastic parts don't dissipate heat like metal and tend to fail first.

If it's easy to take off you can get it repainted without leaving the car at the bodyshop for other abuse. Or the vinyl wrap you suggest is a good option, too.