PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing microfiber towels

BF4Noob73
04-16-2017, 10:36 AM
Where do you guys buy your microfiber towels from? Are the towels from 'the rag company' on amazon made of high quality?

VISITOR
04-16-2017, 02:20 PM
purchase a few dozen of these and will all the sales going on they will be even cheaper...

Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels 12 Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/gold-plush-jr-towel-12.html)

KirkH
04-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Since this is the Autogeek forum and they don't sell theragcompany towels, I won't address that.

However, I only use Korean made, Korean fabric towels with 70/30% polyester/polyamide composition and at least 400 GSM weight. I never use any towel made in China due to lack of faith in the truth on their labels.

mwoywod
04-16-2017, 08:39 PM
Since this is the Autogeek forum and they don't sell theragcompany towels, I won't address that.

However, I only use Korean made, Korean fabric towels with 70/30% polyester/polyamide composition and at least 400 GSM weight. I never use any towel made in China due to lack of faith in the truth on their labels.

Could you explain what you mean? Are you saying that you don't like korean microfiber that manufactured in china because chinese manufacturers are not as forthcoming? I guess that makes sense but I feel like whatever microfiber distributor sells your korean made and manufactured towels isn't going to tarnish their reputation by selling microfiber that is made and manufactured in china if the product isn't thoroughly inspected and tested. The companies that have built reputations from distributing the finest korean microfiber towels will most likely put in the R&D before selling the public a chinese towel that is anything less than what they promise.

99% of my towels are made in china because I use between 50-100 a day. Unlike cheap costco towels, they maintain their softness through 30+ washes and the only thing I've found Split Korean microfiber to perform better at is for rinseless washing media. The split fibers release dirt much better when dunked into rinseless solution than looped fibers. I also LOVE Autogeek's waffle weave korean glass towel. Even at 8$ a piece (ridiculous) I bought a few for interior window cleaning and they are a treat to use.

KirkH
04-16-2017, 09:09 PM
Could you explain what you mean? Are you saying that you don't like korean microfiber that manufactured in china because chinese manufacturers are not as forthcoming? I guess that makes sense but I feel like whatever microfiber distributor sells your korean made and manufactured towels isn't going to tarnish their reputation by selling microfiber that is made and manufactured in china if the product isn't thoroughly inspected and tested. The companies that have built reputations from distributing the finest korean microfiber towels will most likely put in the R&D before selling the public a chinese towel that is anything less than what they promise.

99% of my towels are made in china because I use between 50-100 a day. Unlike cheap costco towels, they maintain their softness through 30+ washes and the only thing I've found Split Korean microfiber to perform better at is for rinseless washing media. The split fibers release dirt much better when dunked into rinseless solution than looped fibers. I also LOVE Autogeek's waffle weave korean glass towel. Even at 8$ a piece (ridiculous) I bought a few for interior window cleaning and they are a treat to use.

I don't trust a Chinese factory for anything that I need to be of high quality. I have read claims that the Chinese factories do not keep the fabric clean. Chinese factories can't label dog food or baby formula honestly and accurately, why would I expect them to correctly label MY MOST IMPORTANT TOOLS, my towels.

Most people don't know swirls from squirrels, as Mike says. Most people don't care if their towel swirls up their paint as long as it gets the bird crap off. I read posts in forums all the time of people wiping their $50,000-75,000 cars with towels from Costco or Walmart or Autozone, ALL of which are from China.

I will pay a little more for my good towels to avoid marring my customers' paints. The towels you get from places like autogeek and adam's etc. are bought wholesale from 2 wholesalers and re-packaged and re-branded. I doubt they test any of them.

KirkH
04-16-2017, 09:12 PM

Are you in business? Do you have a federal tax ID? With a tax ID you can get wholesale accounts with these suppliers. I buy all my towels in bulk and wholesale. I buy cases of waffle weave towels for less than $4 each.

mwoywod
04-17-2017, 12:21 AM
Are you in business? Do you have a federal tax ID? With a tax ID you can get wholesale accounts with these suppliers. I buy all my towels in bulk and wholesale. I buy cases of waffle weave towels for less than $4 each.

Yes, I have a federal tax ID but that really hasn't been necessary for me to purchase the towels I prefer at wholesale prices. I only use 3 different towels, all are chinese made and I buy between 175-250 of each bi-annually.

300 gsm edgeless (glass, metal polishing, coating removal, polish removal, etc) These are my all purpose towels.
365 gsm edgeless (polish and wax removal on soft finicky paint)
420 gsm edgeless (waterless, rinseless, quick detailer)

I do have costco microfiber on hand for cleaning nasty interiors, wheels, wheel wells, removing adhesives, and tires. Most of the time they are completely trashed after one use so I throw them away. At most I'll wash them once but they usually degrade and lose softness after only one wash.

All 3 gsm variations of edgeless chinese made towels I listed, I buy wholesale and they get reused over and over and over without EVER degrading. They may look terrible after 30 washes but they never lint and they never lose their softness. Here's the kicker, I pay about $1.00-$1.50 a piece for them.

It makes sense that you have such a strong opinion on chinese towels when you are basing your opinion on the quality of microfiber found at costco, autozone, etc. While I do not want you to think I am comparing the chinese made towels I use to your $4 korean towels. I hope you can understand that as a fellow business own, I have found what I feel are the best towels possible that would not inflict any marring as long as I'm not careless. My customers have never been upset with me because I wasn't using korean microfiber on their car.

That said, I know this statement is a bit polarizing, but I think the best detailers on earth would still be way better than you and I even if they were limited to only using chinese made costco kirklands

wing commander
04-17-2017, 01:47 AM
I will agree with Mr. mwoywod that many of the Chinese towels are more than adequate to perform the intended duties. A little common sense will guide your choice when you work with them.

fightnews
04-17-2017, 05:30 AM
Yes, I have a federal tax ID but that really hasn't been necessary for me to purchase the towels I prefer at wholesale prices. I only use 3 different towels, all are chinese made and I buy between 175-250 of each bi-annually.

300 gsm edgeless (glass, metal polishing, coating removal, polish removal, etc) These are my all purpose towels.
365 gsm edgeless (polish and wax removal on soft finicky paint)
420 gsm edgeless (waterless, rinseless, quick detailer)

I do have costco microfiber on hand for cleaning nasty interiors, wheels, wheel wells, removing adhesives, and tires. Most of the time they are completely trashed after one use so I throw them away. At most I'll wash them once but they usually degrade and lose softness after only one wash.

All 3 gsm variations of edgeless chinese made towels I listed, I buy wholesale and they get reused over and over and over without EVER degrading. They may look terrible after 30 washes but they never lint and they never lose their softness. Here's the kicker, I pay about $1.00-$1.50 a piece for them.

It makes sense that you have such a strong opinion on chinese towels when you are basing your opinion on the quality of microfiber found at costco, autozone, etc. While I do not want you to think I am comparing the chinese made towels I use to your $4 korean towels. I hope you can understand that as a fellow business own, I have found what I feel are the best towels possible that would not inflict any marring as long as I'm not careless. My customers have never been upset with me because I wasn't using korean microfiber on their car.

That said, I know this statement is a bit polarizing, but I think the best detailers on earth would still be way better than you and I even if they were limited to only using chinese made costco kirklands

thats a great towel i dont care if its made in china or mogadishu! the korean microfiber is nice though if you are only working on your own car and price isnt as much of an issue

DetailZeus
04-17-2017, 08:14 AM
Imo 9/10 its not the towel that scratches, it's something caught in the towel. The best, fluffiest, most expensive towel will mar as soon as a spec of something gets caught in it. This is why I prefer multiple decent quality towels over a single expensive one. I'll grab fresh towels frequently no matter what task I'm doing.

KirkH
04-17-2017, 08:20 AM
Imo 9/10 its not the towel that scratches, it's something caught in the towel. The best, fluffiest, most expensive towel will mar as soon as a spec of something gets caught in it. This is why I prefer multiple decent quality towels over a single expensive one. I'll grab fresh towels frequently no matter what task I'm doing.

I agree 100%. However, I buy great Korean towels wholesale at the same price that you guys are buying Chinese towels retail. I also do group buys with other forum members on the Camaro forum for really big savings.

It's like you guys are paying Snap-On Tool prices for Harbor Freight tools!

KirkH
04-17-2017, 08:23 AM
Don't get me wrong- I use the Chinese towels for undercarriages, door jambs, when I need to throw a towel away, etc. I just don't use them on paint.

I won't apologize for buying and using the best tools that I can afford.

mwoywod
04-17-2017, 09:13 PM
No need to apologize my man. I think it's fantastic that you've been able to justify using the best korean microfiber money can buy for your business. Like the other poster mentioned, for me I feel it's more important to have a ton great quality towels rather than a few towels that are exceptional because I know korean towels are not necessary to produce the best results I possibly can. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion we're paying "snap-on prices for harbor freight quality." Like I mentioned, I buy towels wholesale bi-annually and for general purpose microfiber I pay about .75 cents or less per towel and even my most expensive 420gsm edgeless towels I just looked at my receipt and I only paid $1.30 per towel. To say we are paying about as much as you are paying for your $4 korean towels would a be a gross exaggeration. We all value different things, I do not fault you for spending your money on fantastic towels.

Eldorado2k
04-17-2017, 10:37 PM
Meh...

I use Kirklands for dirty jobs, and by dirty jobs I don't mean engine bay or even door jamb duty.. I mean dirty jobs like rinseless/waterless wash, where they'll actually be alot of dirt getting on the towel.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170418/db775d26994014417134bd3c928decc1.jpg

I use Meguiars Ultimate Wipes for polish/compound/lsp removal, basically the jobs that don't result in my good towels getting caked in dirt & grime.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170418/9a32cf975384bda3f87a870b62cfbb05.jpg

Sure, the more expensive towel is more stout, [which is why they're perfect for removing polish] but neither of them scratch clearcoat.