PDA

View Full Version : Drying question?

Pages : [1] 2

daBoss302
04-16-2017, 01:25 AM
Hello all, I've been really trying to focus on minimizing self-imposed paint defects and am curious about something.

I watch guys like Larry Kosilla (Ammo NYC) use a wet drying method after washing but then have no issue using a dry MF to clear product after polishing or claying. Is the assumption that all dust/dirt/contaminates are off the paint and therefore wiping the MF will have no ill-effect?

Eldorado2k
04-16-2017, 01:35 AM
Hello all, I've been really trying to focus on minimizing self-imposed paint defects and am curious about something.

I watch guys like Larry Kosilla (Ammo NYC) use a wet drying method after washing but then have no issue using a dry MF to clear product after polishing or claying. Is the assumption that all dust/dirt/contaminates are off the paint and therefore wiping the MF will have no ill-effect?

IMO it's all marketing hype.. You don't need a drying aid after a wash in order to prevent scratches. A good quality microfiber waffle weave or any other specific drying towel won't instill scratches even if used dry. [to dry a vehicle]

Bunky
04-16-2017, 05:32 AM
I am not much of a drying aid fan either and do not like using any products with my drying media.

I can see using something if you have an issue with water spots. If you want a slightly damp microfiber then just wipe the glass first.

Dmb5450
04-16-2017, 05:34 AM
I try to use a towel as least as possible when drying, blowing the car dry is really quick and doesn't scratch the paint, no drying aid needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfpacker92
04-16-2017, 07:11 AM
I try to use a towel as least as possible when drying, blowing the car dry is really quick and doesn't scratch the paint, no drying aid needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I do as well. I always use a small electric leaf blower and I never have to touch the car to dry it.

GSKR
04-16-2017, 07:23 AM
IMO it's all marketing hype.. You don't need a drying aid after a wash in order to prevent scratches. A good quality microfiber waffle weave or any other specific drying towel won't instill scratches even if used dry. [to dry a vehicle]

Agree also a watersprite chamois.

DetailZeus
04-16-2017, 09:16 AM
I'm a fan of the damp drying towel, but I don't think you need a special drying aid. Any quality detail spray, waterless, or diluted rinseless works well. Remember if you're outside you might get some dust blown on the car as you're drying, also hedging against a missed spot while washing.

If you notice, Larry pretty much uses ~320 gsm terry towels for everything; I've never seen a video where it looks like he used a special cloth except for glass.

Kamakaz1961
04-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Damp Waffle Weave method is what I use and I do not us any drying aids. IMO this is the 2nd best method to drying your ride (blow drying is #1). But where I live, a leaf blow dryer is frowned upon.

daBoss302
04-16-2017, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I like to use a few sprays of drying aid on the towel, just does something for my brain to make it think I'm adding a little extra layer of protection. Sounds like I'm in the minority in this thread.

BryanH
04-16-2017, 11:23 PM
This is what I do as well. I always use a small electric leaf blower and I never have to touch the car to dry it.
While I've found this works great for the first 2 or 3 washes after a car has been freshly detailed and waxed/sealed, after that water starts to stick to the paint more and blow drying becomes less and less effective. Have you found this to be the case? If not, I wonder if the water composition makes a difference in how easily it rolls off the paint.

gspam1
04-17-2017, 12:12 AM
While I've found this works great for the first 2 or 3 washes after a car has been freshly detailed and waxed/sealed, after that water starts to stick to the paint more and blow drying becomes less and less effective. Have you found this to be the case? If not, I wonder if the water composition makes a difference in how easily it rolls off the paint.

Agree. Before I coated my van, I could tell a big difference in how easily the water moved depending on how fresh my LSP was. Additionally, I washed a friend's car which is rarely waxed, and I put the McKee's 37 turbo dryer down after five minutes and just used drying towels.

TTQ B4U
04-17-2017, 06:44 AM

Kudos to you for being able to sit through Larry's videos. Great stuff but man he can drag out a simple topic to 20 minutes. :) Drying wise, I start off with a leaf blower and knock off 95%+ of all the water. I prefer forced air mainly because it gets water out of all the seems and what not that will drain and drip for a full day causing spotting and what not.

I then walk around the car and spray a light mist of WG Uber Rinseless on the panels. Some here don't like "drying aids" but I do and use them to help remove spots, missed areas and to keep my rag damp. Personally don't ever start drying a car with a wet towel. I soak a nice 16x16 Edgeless MF towel in Uber Rinseless mix, wring it out to just being damp and then wipe each panel dry and then buff lightly with a clean MF Rag to remove any lint.

If I want to amp up the gloss and slickness I will follow up with a quick wipe down of my "blue juice" detail spray which is CarPro ECH20 and Reload mixed at 1:20 with 2-3oz Reload added. Awesome stuff.

To answer your question directly, yes, I think a damp rag is best to avoid micro on some vehicles, especially pure blacks where it's super noticeable. Other colors it is not at all noticeable.

TTQ B4U
04-17-2017, 06:48 AM

Key after each wash is to use a good detail spray to enhance the hydrophobic properties on the vehicle and maintain a super smooth finish. Do that and you won't have an issue with water rolling off. Here's a video I did a while back for a member here showing our van after 5 months of being coated. I make it a point to wipe down each panel with my "blue juice" cocktail noted above. Zero issues with Hydrophobic Properties and slickness. Leaf blower takes 95-99% of the water away after washing. https://youtu.be/PkYouNqzm9A

Desertnate
04-17-2017, 07:40 AM
I use a damp waffel weave towel and a bit of QD spray. However, I only do this to deal with water spots. Whenever I'm fortunate to wash one of my vehicles when it's cooler and cloudy, or I manage to do it in the evening when water spots don't form as quickly, I've found a soft towel is all that is needed.

I'll also add the coating and sealants I currently use, sheet water pretty well. After doing a final flood rinse, there usually isn't all that much water on the car and I don't have to wipe down the entire thing. I do more "spot drying" and dabbing than anything else.

WillSports3
04-17-2017, 09:13 AM
I use Ech20 as a drying aid because it's easier and much less louder than a leaf blower. Especially since as a waterless wash mixture, if there is anything that happens to land on the car, I'm not dry grinding it across the paint. Ech20 also hazes and when it does that, I just wipe it off nice and easy. It's upto you if you want to use a drying aid or not, but a year later, my car has maybe two or three new light scratches on it. If I can avoid polishing, I do.