PDA

View Full Version : new flex 3401 day 1 with a full detail start on a white 2012 camry, IRON x first time user

Toolhead
04-15-2017, 08:23 PM
this camry is the gals and has only seen car washes since purchased new..
lots of swirls/ surface scratches.. no oxidation dull.. still has shine when clean..but that neglected type of look to the paint..

. finally pulled the trigger on the flex 3401, with WG 3.0 compound/ finish polish/ sealant .

ill skip through the product opening etc.. we all know its quality/ well built etc..

using the 4 3/8" oem backingp late with 5.5 hydrotech pads...

IRONx:

started with wash, then iron x.. wore hooded sweatshirt, timberlands, long pants, gloves, had hoodie on and 3m dust mask/sunglasses..
took another member advice and sprayed, then used sponge to spread to minimize product use..but sprayed liberally..

taped off the exposed brakes.. they are not painted but this only took five minutes to tape.

definitely got the color change.. not tons of it. but it was there.. also seemed to get more brake dust loosened in the rims which was a nice benefit..

sprayed her down and then did a quick..quick wash/ rinse, dry (wasn't anticipating this extra wash but better safe than sorry later)..

Nanoskin:

Nano skin towel, first time usage, just used clay before. definitely faster and easier to use..
more surface area per stroke and no wasted energy kneading the clay
i had the skin folded over 2x, into square.. this allowed me to simply flip and refold / have 2 more sides to work with ..which allowed more work time between rinses.. and liked the rinse only..squeeze and then get back to rubbing ..

as long as it last as long as it is marketed.well worth the time / energy savings.. claying would have taken a lot longer and much more energy consumption....

once that was completed, the car itself was much more shiny.. the gal actually thought i had already polished the car.. wish it was that fast of a process

FLEX 3401:

started with tangerine with finish polish.. .. that worked a bit .. but saw that wasn't cutting it after the first section pass.

popped out the cyan with compound and then saw the flex results, i was looking for ..majority of the swirls / scratches taken out..

test section, there were a few left over scratches.. i fingernail tested and felt it catch slightly.. not past the paint but left it alone at after 2 section passes...

the test section was on the trunk and it was already later afternoon.. so goal was to finish off the trunk and clean up, as dinner was getting called into the garage.

2 more section passes of compound

then moved back onto tangerine pad and finish polished the trunk in the same 3 section pass pattern.

by the time, i got to the polish section.. it was a familiar tool to use..

brushed off the pads, after each section pass with pad brush..

cleaned up .. pads etc.

thoughts on the FLEX 3401,

definitely works as marketed..
easy to use.. felt it slightly walk here and there but was quickly remedied (within seconds) with user control / adjustment.. it was never close to jumping out of my hand.

the trigger lock seems be a bit sensitive to catch.. not sure why..full trigger on / push in and doesnt catch.. had to one hand trigger / hold the flex / then use other ahnd's finger to push the trigger lock to have it hold..

will focus on this tomorrow.. b/c that didnt seem right.. when holding the flex with both hands . i was using the right hand/ finger on the trigger and pushing in with my right thumb and pretty sure i had the lock depressed fully but it wouldn't catch .. only when i one handed the flex and used my other hand to push in the trigger lock, would i get the lock to hold.. have to try again tomorrow and attempt again..

the flex was easy enough to use on flat , concave trunk.. im sure ill have a slight learning curve when working on an upright panel...

i plan on using my knee pads again so i can lean into the vertical panels.. while using the flex.

i had a mechanics creeper slider, ..which i took out.. but after using knee pads when claying the bottom spoiler.. i never used the creeper.. im a big fan of knee pads when working on sod / plumbing anything where i have work low to the ground., pads also help you keep agile as you need to when
working..

the results of the trunk was a glass texture finish/ feel..

tool did get a little warmer than expected during the trunk phase.. but was not close to a finger pull back warm..
paint was a little warm.. but again.. the paint gets hotter if it was sitting out in the mid 80's direction sunlight for an hour..

tomorrow, day 2 will be much more of the flex day..

wake up early am, wash/ dry the car and then go straight into cyan/ compounding the rest of the panels/ polishing.
hopefully get sealant on before the charcoal chimney gets lit for easter bbq.

review summary:

flex..easy to use, easy to adjust to.
became a familiar tool fairly quickly.. much more quickly than i thought based on some of the prior postings.

very short learning curve..
fast, excellent results..
not as heavy while operating as expected.. im sure after using it for multiple hours.. ill feel the operational weight/ fatigue factoring in .. ..
for what the tool is doing..very smooth vibration.. very smooth .....smoother than expected
decibel rating at operator level.. not quiet..but not loud.. in between..
i didn't feel the need to pop on ear protection..but if it climbed 5 -10 decibels.. i may have considered it.. its definitely not "borderline too loud to have to use ear protection decibel rating"..almost like my gas echo trimmer.. for standard trimmer lawn process with the trimmer.. i dont wear ears.. but if im using the trimmer to shave down an area for sodding, where i have the trimmer close to full throttle for 30-60+ minutes.. ill wear ears b/c the decibel rating tends to fatigue the operator after prolonged usage.

.. anyone know if flex, has a operator decibel rating?

wing commander
04-15-2017, 09:50 PM
I am happy for you that it seems you had a extremely productive and enjoyable first go round with your new tool. I also found the Flex 3401 to be very easy to use the first time. Will you post some pictures tomorrow?

fly07sti
04-15-2017, 10:00 PM
Right on! I'm a fan of Flex as well. If I could give some advice for your "day 2". Don't waste your time washing/drying the entire car again. Just clean each panel with a WW or a quality QD.

Aaryn NZ
04-16-2017, 05:13 AM
Right on! I'm a fan of Flex as well. If I could give some advice for your "day 2". Don't waste your time washing/drying the entire car again. Just clean each panel with a WW or a quality QD.

Solid advice here Don. :xyxthumbs: I too am a fan of Flex, I like my Rupes tools too but Flex tools . . . :props: Pleased to read of your experience with the 3401 & happy you are enjoying it. I pretty much wear ear protection for almost any power tool, I don't think the Flex is unbearable but I'd rather listen to music.

Great first timer review, thanks for sharing, do follow up with some pics for us yeah?

Aaryn NZ. :dblthumb2:

Toolhead
04-16-2017, 05:29 AM

Im really liking this advice.....
.andd gona use it...get right to the flex..
I need all the time today to get to completing the sealant application.

Toolhead
04-16-2017, 05:45 AM
Tks..will take pics...if i have enough time ill post this evening..have to look up the pic process again.

I figured i had a few things working for me and wanted to post to help folks on the fence about using flex or ironx as i was last year when i first looked ito it.

Dont be phobic about ironx .but do take precautions..safety...eye /clothing protection..especially at least dusk mask.

I found that when i removed my glove and put my hand back close to the car ..even after a few mins post spray..there was ironx mist still floating.

Next time with ironx ill use my 3m cartridge respirator...
I tink what i had working for me was having grown up using commercial grade power tools /lawn equipment..having the flex in my hand was just another tool to handle/guide...

For nonpower tool users..i can understand thre flex to be rated as intermediate skill level.

The flex has characteristics of an orbital sander and..similiar center of gravity of orbital sander in use...with body /and handle/grip of an oscillating tool.