PDA

View Full Version : Most frustrating day ever! HELP!

Venomv8
04-14-2017, 07:29 PM
Hey all, sorry this might be a long one. I decided this week since it got nice and because it was easter weekend I would take today and Monday off, in hopes that I could do my after winter detail, paint correction and then apply Ammo Reflex on Sunday. Ive never had this many issues while trying to get this car done. The following steps were taken prior to correction (which is the point Im having so many issues with). I started by washing with Chemical guys Clean Slate wash to strip any waxes and sealers on there. Then I used Iron X, rinsed and then used clay mitt to get rid of any other contaminates so I could proceed to correction. After using master blaster to dry car off I could see heavy swirls all over the car. Its worth mentioning this will be the first time I will be correcting/detailing the exterior of the car as I bought it over the winter. I wanted to start by doing a test spot on the hood to see what I was going to use (also the car is a Black Audi Q5 for reference).

I started by using a PC 7424, a megs microfiber pad and D300 as Ive had great results previous to this car with that combo. As I finished the test spot on the hood I saw a lot of DA Haze, no problem as Ive seen this before with this combo on black paint. I went to get my M205 to polish and make sure it came out and gave the results I wanted however when I opened my cabinet I realized the bottle I have is almost completely empty and wasn't good anymore (just ordered more from AG) so long story short I tried using a bottle of Poorboys SSR1 that I had brand new and have never tried. I don't know if Im doing something wrong with this product but Ive never seen a polish do what this stuff did to the paint. I used the SSR1 with a white CCS pad from lake country and when I wiped off the spent product and inspected with light it had holograms everywhere, hardly got out the haze in some areas and looked worse than what it did prior to me even touching the paint. Needless to say I was pretty frustrated with the results, so I tried doing every combination I could with pad and product. That was the only polish I had on hand, however I do have Poorboys SSR2, M105, D300 and HD Speed (Didn't want to use this as Im putting Reflex on after correcting).

I tried the the SSR2, D300 and SSR1 on various pads from an LC CCS pads in Orange, White, Black and meg microfiber cutting and finishing pads, in literally every combination I could. I still am working on a test spot and trying to be satisfied with it with no avail. If I go too aggressive there is tons of micro marring and haze. If I go too light the swirls are still there and with any combination Im getting tons of holograms with the SSR1. Ive never been so disappointed previously with these steps, especially with the D300 and MF pads. Most times it looks excellent and finishes really well but I can't get it to even look decent with anything I do so Ive given up for the day and can hopefully figure something out for tomorrow. If anyone has any questions to better help just ask, any tips, tricks or info would be greatly appreciated!

asalesagent912
04-14-2017, 07:43 PM
why couldn't you use HD speed?
What does that have to do with using Reflex?

Venomv8
04-14-2017, 07:45 PM
Because HD Speed is an AIO and has a sealant in it. The paint has to be totally stripped to apply Reflex.

JimmyH5
04-14-2017, 07:49 PM
not sure of the hard/softness of the Q5, but can you get/try something OTC and mild like Ultimate Polish? only mention it because I've used it for holograms on softer black paint and it works wonders on that type of paint.

Venomv8
04-14-2017, 07:56 PM
I could go and get some tomorrow. In general I was thinking this paint was harder based on what I had saw previously with other Audis in black. But Im not sure on this. Like I said there was a lot of hazing and holograms. Ill definitely go give some of the polish a try. I do know that the microfiber pad and D300 didn't take out some of the deeper swirls.

asalesagent912
04-14-2017, 08:06 PM
Oh ok i was thinking HD adapt. Speed is a sealant.
I know you don't have it on hand but you should be able to get good results with
FG 400. I have used it on many black cars. And you really dont have to step down to a finishing polish.

Venomv8
04-14-2017, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, I will wait when the M205 comes in I ordered and see if that solves my issue before ordering others, but if that doesn't work I will definitely keep that on the list to try. Im hoping the 205 works, but from what Im seeing on this paint, I don't know if it will or not. There was definitely more hazing and holograms than Ive seen with D300 on any other car Ive used it on.

GSKR
04-15-2017, 06:20 AM
Hey all, sorry this might be a long one. I decided this week since it got nice and because it was easter weekend I would take today and Monday off, in hopes that I could do my after winter detail, paint correction and then apply Ammo Reflex on Sunday. Ive never had this many issues while trying to get this car done. The following steps were taken prior to correction (which is the point Im having so many issues with). I started by washing with Chemical guys Clean Slate wash to strip any waxes and sealers on there. Then I used Iron X, rinsed and then used clay mitt to get rid of any other contaminates so I could proceed to correction. After using master blaster to dry car off I could see heavy swirls all over the car. Its worth mentioning this will be the first time I will be correcting/detailing the exterior of the car as I bought it over the winter. I wanted to start by doing a test spot on the hood to see what I was going to use (also the car is a Black Audi Q5 for reference).

I started by using a PC 7424, a megs microfiber pad and D300 as Ive had great results previous to this car with that combo. As I finished the test spot on the hood I saw a lot of DA Haze, no problem as Ive seen this before with this combo on black paint. I went to get my M205 to polish and make sure it came out and gave the results I wanted however when I opened my cabinet I realized the bottle I have is almost completely empty and wasn't good anymore (just ordered more from AG) so long story short I tried using a bottle of Poorboys SSR1 that I had brand new and have never tried. I don't know if Im doing something wrong with this product but Ive never seen a polish do what this stuff did to the paint. I used the SSR1 with a white CCS pad from lake country and when I wiped off the spent product and inspected with light it had holograms everywhere, hardly got out the haze in some areas and looked worse than what it did prior to me even touching the paint. Needless to say I was pretty frustrated with the results, so I tried doing every combination I could with pad and product. That was the only polish I had on hand, however I do have Poorboys SSR2, M105, D300 and HD Speed (Didn't want to use this as Im putting Reflex on after correcting).

I tried the the SSR2, D300 and SSR1 on various pads from an LC CCS pads in Orange, White, Black and meg microfiber cutting and finishing pads, in literally every combination I could. I still am working on a test spot and trying to be satisfied with it with no avail. If I go too aggressive there is tons of micro marring and haze. If I go too light the swirls are still there and with any combination Im getting tons of holograms with the SSR1. Ive never been so disappointed previously with these steps, especially with the D300 and MF pads. Most times it looks excellent and finishes really well but I can't get it to even look decent with anything I do so Ive given up for the day and can hopefully figure something out for tomorrow. If anyone has any questions to better help just ask, any tips, tricks or info would be greatly appreciated!

Sonax products. HD speed is a filler with a cap on it.meaning you can only go so far.Reflex is very hard to remove and you may induce marring taking it off.I'm not a micro guy,I tend to stay with foam cuts down on time and doesn't scour some paintsystems with different polishes.

GSKR
04-15-2017, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the recommendation, I will wait when the M205 comes in I ordered and see if that solves my issue before ordering others, but if that doesn't work I will definitely keep that on the list to try. Im hoping the 205 works, but from what Im seeing on this paint, I don't know if it will or not. There was definitely more hazing and holograms than Ive seen with D300 on any other car Ive used it on.
Carpro essence may work better than 205.

swanicyouth
04-15-2017, 06:30 AM
Me thinks the problem started w/ SSR 1 & a white pad. SSR 1 is a fine polish & prolly should only be used on super soft paints with a super soft pad (not Audi). I'm going to postulate the holograms came from the white foam pad itself & the inability of SSR 1 to clean it up. But, who knows? Not sure why you are having a hard time removing holograms after...

This is why I love the Rupes system. Because you are pretty much guaranteed not to have to go through this. Also, in a pinch - M205 is often available locally.

mbkite
04-15-2017, 08:09 AM
Try a different test spot maybe car was re painted in that area

RPM_BR
04-15-2017, 09:30 AM
My personal experience with Audi Q5, 2014, black, wasn't easy as well. It is a 'tricky' clearcoat; it has, imho, a extremely hard clearcoat top, but if you work on a previously polished Q5, it becomes softer, hence my guess of a hard clearcoat top.
I believe the choice of D300 and Meg's MF was the problem. Maybe M100 with MF pad, or M101 on hard foam (to stay in Meg's line) would be better suited. And Meg's MF pads has several types, you didn't mention which one you used.
On hard clears, again imho, the cutting stage has to be done it right, a good spot test is a must, or you'll suffer in the polishing stage.
The Audi I did, after several tests, the best result was rotary with a medium cut wool, Sonax CutMax, low RPMs, 600 to 800, none to low pressure, slow movements and lots of product (a circle instead of drops).
I hope it helps, best regards.

Venomv8
04-18-2017, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the response. This is exactly what Im seeing, the paint seems to be very hard but at the same time Im getting holograms with a white pad? Needless to say I thought I would follow up. The SSR1 seems to just be garbage, or Im using it incorrectly or maybe the paint of this particular car is just not a good mix for the product but I went to the local store the next day and I got the megs fine swirl remover 2.0 (or whatever its called) and that did a waaaaaay better job for the finishing. The M205 came in today from Autogeek so Im going to do another test spot to see which I like better. Either way, one thing is for sure, the paint is definitely not soft as getting deeper stuff out os almost impossible with the combo Im using. I really can't wait to get me a G15 Boss finally!

ronkh57
04-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Me thinks the problem started w/ SSR 1 & a white pad. SSR 1 is a fine polish & prolly should only be used on super soft paints with a super soft pad (not Audi). I'm going to postulate the holograms came from the white foam pad itself & the inability of SSR 1 to clean it up. But, who knows? Not sure why you are having a hard time removing holograms after...

This is why I love the Rupes system. Because you are pretty much guaranteed not to have to go through this. Also, in a pinch - M205 is often available locally.

Sorta agree here. SSR 1, is a finishing polish.