PDA

View Full Version : Just finished compounding/Polishing - lots of dust, want to wash but what soap to use ? Gold class?

Booki
04-14-2017, 10:05 AM
Finishing up polishing my car, and there is alot of polish dust everywhere.

I think it would be best for me to give it a wash before I apply my wax, but was wondering if I wash my car with Meguiar's gold class car wash, Will it be fine for me to dry and apply wax straight up?

Paint is as smooth as glass at the moment :)

fightnews
04-14-2017, 11:36 AM
Finishing up polishing my car, and there is alot of polish dust everywhere.

I think it would be best for me to give it a wash before I apply my wax, but was wondering if I wash my car with Meguiar's gold class car wash, Will it be fine for me to dry and apply wax straight up?

Paint is as smooth as glass at the moment :) Ya thats fine, what other soaps do you have?

TMQ
04-14-2017, 11:54 AM
Blow or wipe dust off then apply wax. Saves time!

Tom

Audios S6
04-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Blow or wipe dust off then apply wax. Saves time!

Tom

This. Plush towels for the main panels, compressed air for all the crevices. However, there are plenty of people that do a wash after correction and prior to LSP. I think it's become less commonplace with coatings and a desire to avoid any and all water drips.

Booki
04-14-2017, 05:36 PM
Ya thats fine, what other soaps do you have?

At the moment all I have is CT18 truck wash...

Going to the store to buy some fresh stuff :)

MrOneEyedBoh
04-20-2017, 12:14 PM
Why not use something like D114 or McKees N914. Just mist the panel and wipe. Or even use Prep-sol a wax and grease remover.

Paul A.
04-20-2017, 01:01 PM
I blow any dust off as previously mentioned. How about just straight water to flush and careful but thorough drying?

TTQ B4U
04-20-2017, 01:19 PM
As others noted, I wouldn't wash it. Blow or buff off the dust and apply your LSP. If you still feel the need to wash after that then at least the paint is protected more and less likely to mar.

steelwindmachine
04-20-2017, 01:35 PM
If I was in the OP's shoes, I'd be curious to know how to avoid the dust in the first place?

Is the product being over-worked, dry buffed or pad not kept wet enough?

Maybe a product that has a low to no dust formulation might help save time and still give acceptable results? (Opt Hyper, etc.)

And, in keeping with Mike P's motto of working forward, maybe a product that you don't have to wash off to then apply a LSP? (Optimum line again...)

Booki
04-20-2017, 08:24 PM
I ended up just washing the car with some gold wash. Dried it off and applied my wax.

That said I notice some very very fine swirls in direct sunlight.

I could see them under my lights I normally use and they are very hard to see, but I am assuming this is not normal and maybe I should have finished up with a softer compound then m205 with a polishing pad.

Will try and get some pics