PDA

View Full Version : Polish to make paint pop?

Jeremy1976
04-12-2017, 10:35 PM
The tri coat pearl white paint on my car is pristine (Scratch and swirl free). I'm looking to polish it to the highest gloss possible. What product and pad would you recommend Mike? I use a Flex 3401. I do have HD Speed, 205, and Menzerna 3500. Just wondering if there was something else more specific to a jeweling wax that would give me more what I'm looking for.

Thanks

FUNX650
04-12-2017, 11:12 PM
The tri coat pearl white paint on my car
is pristine (Scratch and swirl free).

I'm looking to polish it to the highest
gloss possible. What product and pad
would you recommend Mike?

Just wondering if there was something
else more specific to a jeweling wax that
would give me more what I'm looking for.
Here's a Mike Phillips "jeweling wax" article:

How to jewel paint with McKee's 37 Jeweling Wax and a Porter Cable 7424XP (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/mckees-37/100050-how-jewel-paint-mckees-37-jeweling-wax-porter-cable-7424xp.html)

Bob

Eldorado2k
04-12-2017, 11:15 PM
You've had this car for a bit right? If so, I take it you've done iron removal etc... right? Have you used the 3 polishes you mentioned on it already? Any noticeable difference between them on that paint?

WillSports3
04-12-2017, 11:36 PM
If its your lexus, I'd say essence. I use it on mine and the results are honestly great. Try essence and a light finishing pad, just make sure you work it for long enough.

Eldorado2k
04-12-2017, 11:41 PM
If its your lexus, I'd say essence. I use it on mine and the results are honestly great. Try essence and a light finishing pad, just make sure you work it for long enough.

I thought the recommended advice was that it works very fast and don't overwork it?

WillSports3
04-12-2017, 11:57 PM
It does work very fast and you shouldn't do 8 passes but I think a lot of people are underworking it at the same time and it becomes difficult to remove.

Mike Phillips
04-13-2017, 05:55 AM
The tri coat pearl white paint on my car is pristine (Scratch and swirl free).

I'm looking to polish it to the highest gloss possible. What product and pad would you recommend Mike?

I use a Flex 3401. I do have HD Speed, 205, and Menzerna 3500. Just wondering if there was something else more specific to a jeweling wax that would give me more what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Just to point out... it's possible when you're really good at this stuff, (paint polishing), that you can hit a wall or hit the ceiling as it relates to maxing out the gloss, clarity and shine of a paint surface.

So it's possible you've done this Jeremy...

I have an article on this topic and there are some incredible pictures in the thread showing the metallic flake in paint popping...

Making the Metallic Flake Pop! - Popping versus Muting (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/53021-making-metallic-flake-pop-popping-versus-muting.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1261/CanAmCorvette010.jpg

Kind of the bigger point of this thread is that it's not the wax, sealant or coating that makes metallic flake pop, it's getting the clear coat clear.

I see forum members always talking about how some waxes make the flake pop while other waxes make the mute the flake but if you want the flake to pop you first have to start with being able to see it.

Seeing it comes down to making the clear layer of paint as clear as possible.

Then as long as you use ANY quality wax, sealant or coating, your LSP should amplify the clarity results of your polishing work.

Hope that helps...

:)

Mike Phillips
04-13-2017, 05:58 AM
Continued....

And for those of you reading this into the future...

The best I've ever seen white paint look is after using a ceramic coating. Of course the prep work is the key and foundation to the final end-results but as for the last step product a ceramic coating takes a glossy finish to the next level and creates a glassy finish.

Here's an example...

Cleaned & Coated in 3 Hours - 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/69413-cleaned-coated-3-hours-2014-jeep-grand-cherokee.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2024/Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_014.jpg

:)

silverfox
04-13-2017, 07:13 AM
Put wax on a junkyard car and it will make the paint (or rust) "pop". The word pop in detailing is often deceiving. What makes the paint pop is uncovering the crap on top of it. That's better done by polishing and not temporary masking. Any polish that can make the clear coat "clear" will work. Some polishes have special sauce marketed into them but in the end you can make paint pop with any polish and technique that produces a clear surface

TTQ B4U
04-13-2017, 07:20 AM
The tri coat pearl white paint on my car is pristine (Scratch and swirl free). I'm looking to polish it to the highest gloss possible. What product and pad would you recommend Mike? I use a Flex 3401. I do have HD Speed, 205, and Menzerna 3500. Just wondering if there was something else more specific to a jeweling wax that would give me more what I'm looking for.

I vote for CarPro Essence. On my 3401 I use Speed 5 and use moderate arm speed. Too much heat will make it hard to remove. Use it sparingly. That said, I have used HD Speed to really make cars shine too. It finishes excellent and is easy to remove as you know.

Eric@CherryOnTop
04-13-2017, 08:41 AM
Another vote for Essence, maybe with a Carpro gloss pad.