PDA

View Full Version : ONR rinseless on 2 day old Gloss Coat.

spazzz
04-11-2017, 07:52 PM
I did it. Will my Gloss Coat take the abuse? I think it will.

I applied Gloss Coat last year and it rained almost everyday for the week I had to wait to wash it.
I didn't use opti-seal to protect it and it worked out great.

In my curiosity to try Essence I polished the hood a week ago Sunday(4/02). I applied Gloss Coat, waited an hour to do a second coat then after another hour I applied Opti-seal.

Boom next day it rains. I think maybe a couple more showers in there somewhere but honestly I can't remember.
Sunday(4/09) was wash day. I used Optimum car wash with ONR sprinkles in it and Opti-seal as a drying aid.

All was good until later when I went into the garage to admire my work with the T5s on and noticed freckle water spots covering the whole hood.
I tried vinegar and no luck.
In my frustration I chomped the bit and grabbed the Flex,black force pad and Hyper-polish. So Sunday I had another fresh coat of Gloss Coat.
Monday it rained right at quitting time.. When I got home I used my DP turbo dryer to blow the water off.

Today it misted all day at work and the mist dried, I wasn't happy.
Today I dropped the F bomb, decided to be a rebel and get the spots off (or try).
I misted it with my ONR clay lube(very rich solution) and did the hood with sopping wet ONR eagle edgeless towels.
To dry I used a dedicated eagle edgeless towel and Opti-seal.

It still looks great, yippie. I'm not surprised.
I was not about to wait a week just to see mineral rings on my car.

I haven't read anywhere about washing before the week was up hence my reason for this post.
Maybe it will fall off the car overnight or the longevity will suffer with only 2 years/10 months instead of 3 years, beats me.

I emailed Optimum last year with the rinseless = washing question. I think it was Ron who got back to me with the yes answer.
I wasn't as brave last year or I got a year older and said to hell with it.

I honestly don't understand why the synergistic ONR would pose a threat. My scientific guess is it might be better to be safe than sorry.
But not anymore folks.

The Guz
04-11-2017, 08:29 PM
Sounds like you saved it. Gloss Coat actually cures in 1 hour so it can get wet within 1 hour. It takes 7 days for it to cross link onto the paint. So you are good to go. Using ONR on it is fine just as you experienced. From what I gathered the no wash thing pertains to an actual car wash soap.

spazzz
04-11-2017, 09:16 PM
Sounds like you saved it. Gloss Coat actually cures in 1 hour so it can get wet within 1 hour. It takes 7 days for it to cross link onto the paint. So you are good to go. Using ONR on it is fine just as you experienced. From what I gathered the no wash thing pertains to an actual car wash soap.

What I wrote.............

I just coated my car this weekend with Gloss coat.I know it says to wait 7 days to wash. Would that include rinseless washing?

I use Megs D114 but also have some ONRW&W.

What Ron responded with................

Tim, thank you for your interest in Optimum products. You should wait 7 days before washing with any car soap, to allow the chemical resistance of Gloss-Coat to be fully realized.

I haven't seen anything on the great webz about early washing.
But I am glad I have the nod from you Mike. Thanks for taking the time to post.

I will probably throw some towels and ONR in the car for those dreary days this week.

The Guz
04-11-2017, 10:49 PM
Ron stated any car wash and I agree with that. But ONR is a car wash alternative hehe. I'm surprised Ron didn't mention ONR. I'm sure D114 would be ok as well as the ONR you have.