PDA

View Full Version : Beginner trying to get a good black finish.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Mallowpuff
04-11-2017, 06:18 PM
Hello everyone, first time here so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section.

This is my first time doing any more than just washing a car with sudsy water and wash towels and throwing on some wax. I'm looking to get a deep, wet looking finish on a black car. On a budget.

The 2 cars I'm doing are..

A pretty nice 2012 CRV(shhh) and a not so nice but still not too bad 2001 Nissan Maxima. They are both black.

Both aren't perfect. They both have scratches(nothing too bad) and both are fairly dull. The Maxima is by far the worse of the two. It has some deeper scratches at and some pretty bad "cobwebs" from birds.

What I'm looking for is the right products, and the right way to do it. I know neither are going to be perfect as I'm not going to go as in depth as to do actual paint correction, but I think both can turn out better than just driving them through the car wash? I think?

Right now here's my list of products after a quick search.

Cleaning cloths (http://www.autozone.com/wash-mitts-chamois-and-other-wash-and-wax-accessories/microfiber-cloths-chamois-and-applicators/autozone-2-pcs-microfiber-super-absorber-towel/87991_0_0/)

Wheel/Tire Cleaner (http://www.autozone.com/wash-cleaners-and-exterior-care-products/wheel-and-tire-cleaner/eagle-one-a2z-all-wheel-and-tire-cleaner/286666_0_0/)

Clay (http://www.autozone.com/wash-cleaners-and-exterior-care-products/clay-bar-and-paint-cleaners/mothers-california-gold-clay-bar-kit/189455_0_0/)

Tire shine (http://www.autozone.com/wash-cleaners-and-exterior-care-products/tire-foam-and-shine/meguiar-s-15-oz-nxt-generation-insane-shine/629623_0_0/) for the Maxima

Polish (http://www.autozone.com/wash-cleaners-and-exterior-care-products/polish/meguiar-s-ultimate-polish/164697_0_0/)

And we have a bottle of Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus.

The tire shine is of course optional, I just like the wet shiny look. If there's another product worth the $10 then go for it.

It would be nice to be able to get whatever is recommended at Walmart/Autozone.

Thanks!

Mallowpuff
04-11-2017, 07:53 PM
It won't let me edit and I just read the no linking to competitors products. If a mod could get rid of the links and just put the names, or tell me why I can't edit, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Marc08EX
04-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Edit button is only active for 15 minutes after your post. It goes away after that.

Mallowpuff
04-11-2017, 08:02 PM
Edit button is only active for 15 minutes after your post. It goes away after that.

Ah.

spazzz
04-11-2017, 08:03 PM
Oh well with the links, you are new.

Take it easy when you clay. Float the clay and keep it really wet with the showtime. The Mothers clay kit is good stuff.

Try the polish on an inconspicuous spot, maybe inside a door jamb to get a feel and see what your results might be.
If you do the car with the Meguiars polish don't press hard or concentrate on any spots. Use it as a paint cleaner or like you would apply wax and don't let it dry.

Or get some Mothers cleaner wax. I like the paste.

You might want to try some microfiber pads for the cleaner wax, I can't remember if there is one in the tin.

2 black cars, eh? I have one.
After mine turned dull and swirly I decided I wasn't messing around anymore and bought a PC7424.
I love my hobby and so does my family

Mallowpuff
04-11-2017, 08:26 PM
Oh well with the links, you are new.

Take it easy when you clay. Float the clay and keep it really wet with the showtime. The Mothers clay kit is good stuff.

Try the polish on an inconspicuous spot, maybe inside a door jamb to get a feel and see what your results might be.
If you do the car with the Meguiars polish don't press hard or concentrate on any spots. Use it as a paint cleaner or like you would apply wax and don't let it dry.

Or get some Mothers cleaner wax. I like the paste.

You might want to try some microfiber pads for the cleaner wax, I can't remember if there is one in the tin.

2 black cars, eh? I have one.
After mine turned dull and swirly I decided I wasn't messing around anymore and bought a PC7424.
I love my hobby and so does my family

Yep, I plan on taking it slow and easy with the clay, never used it before.

Do you think that polish(or a different one) or a cleaner wax is needed after claying? I've heard this Meguiar's GC liquid is a kind of polish wax, or is it alone not enough?

Actually 3 black cars and a fourth on the way. It's just that one of them is a work truck that isn't worth doing this too, atleast not until it gets a paint job.

Our neighbor runs a body shop. He has plenty of pretty high end buffers I could use, I just don't feel safe using one knowing that just the wrong angle or speed could put a hole in the clear or worse.

spazzz
04-11-2017, 08:37 PM
Fourth on the way??!!
You need a DA as a baby sitter.

Your buddys shop more than likely has rotarys which might not be the easiest thing to use.

One of the free spindle DAs sold here would be much much safer.

MarkD51
04-11-2017, 08:51 PM
Keep in mind, that what you are facing, is most likely not single stage black paint.

Meaning, is that what you are actually polishing, and trying to refine and clarify is a clear top coat of paint. (2 stage base coat-clear coat)

And as far as products that could-can be used to great effect are in the multiple 100's here from just about every manufacturer.

I've owned black a couple times in my life. And yeah, it can be a nightmare to keep up.

Today, and if it was me again, I'd probably consider a few good various polishes within a line, be it Menzerna, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, Meguiars. etc.

Then probably follow with something like Carpro Essence as the final polish, coat the car with a more durable Paint Coating, and never look back.

Suek
04-11-2017, 10:33 PM
I bought a 2002 black Mustang that needed to remove built up crap on it and make it shine. You cannot get a good shine without removing contaminants. I bought a PC, Lake Country orange and light blue pads. Bought Wolfgang samples from here. The Swirl remover and Ultimate compound. I watched a guy on Youtube named Junk Yard dog and educated myself here with tips. The Wolfgang and Duragloss together look great. Duragloss is cheap and lasts long.

Mallowpuff
04-11-2017, 10:53 PM
He has a few DAs also. But are they really mostly fool proof? I know nothing is fool proof but you get my point. I would of course be taking my time and watching videos on it.

I know a little bit about it being a 2 stage BC CC, I've worked with my neighbor a few times. It almost seems like the clear on the Maxima is getting thin. I think it's only a matter of time before it starts peeling and we repaint the car.

I'll see what I end up getting. I'll probably try these two, or atleast the honda, by hand before trying a buffer.

So I guess, will the stuff I linked(oops) work good or is there a "better" combination of items available at local stores? I would happily order from here, but I'm in a bit of rush to get it done before it gets too hot and I have no easy way of ordering as of now.

Right now, my plan is..

Spray with car wash, wipe(Not in circular motions??) with a microfiber mitt, rinse, dry with microfiber towels.

Clay.

Polish.

Wax.

Mike Phillips
04-12-2017, 05:38 AM
It won't let me edit and I just read the no linking to competitors products.

If a mod could get rid of the links and just put the names, or tell me why I can't edit, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

There use to be some riffraff that hung out on this forum and they would edit and change what they wrote to get out of trouble so we tightened down the time limit for editing a post. I'm glad to say the riffraff is gone and we increased the time for editing but there is still a time limit. This is why it's a good idea to make sure what you post is what you really want to put out in the public domain.

:)

Mike Phillips
04-12-2017, 05:40 AM

Thanks!

I never mind helping people that buy their products somewhere else, been doing it for 20+ years as do the members of our forum.

BUT please do ask the people behind the counter where you buy your stuff the same questions and see what kind of service you get with your purchase.

:buffing:

Mike Phillips
04-12-2017, 05:59 AM
Hello everyone, first time here so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Welcome and nope, you're in the right section.

This is my first time doing any more than just washing a car with sudsy water and wash towels and throwing on some wax. I'm looking to get a deep, wet looking finish on a black car. On a budget.

The 2 cars I'm doing are..

A pretty nice 2012 CRV(shhh) and a not so nice but still not too bad 2001 Nissan Maxima. They are both black.

Both aren't perfect. They both have scratches(nothing too bad) and both are fairly dull. The Maxima is by far the worse of the two. It has some deeper scratches at and some pretty bad "cobwebs" from birds.

What I'm looking for is the right products, and the right way to do it.

Thanks!

For what you're trying to do what you want to buy is a quality one-step cleaner/wax. At Walmart or Autozone this would be Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/Meguiars_Cleaner_Wax.jpg

Read this article for a few tips... it's mostly for machine still some good info...

How to choose and use a one-step cleaner/wax by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/81546-how-choose-one-step-cleaner-wax.html)

The two most important things when working on neglected paint by hand are,

1: Only work a small area at a time. About the size of a microfiber towel that is 16" x 16". The reason why is because clearcoat paints are hard. If you try to work too large of an area it won't look good or uniform when you're done.

2: Use the product heavy or wet. Read the article above to find out what this means.

3: When moving onto a new section, overlap a little into the previous section.

4: Use a microfiber applicator for neglected paint, Meguiar's sells a good one. The fibers act as a gentle form of abrasive and help the cleaner/wax to CLEAN the paint which restores clarity which is what your eyes tell your brain,

"Ah yes... the paint looks good"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtUMFUEI7Dw

Yep, I plan on taking it slow and easy with the clay, never used it before.

Do you think that polish(or a different one) or a cleaner wax is needed after claying? I've heard this Meguiar's GC liquid is a kind of polish wax, or is it alone not enough?

[/quote]

The Gold Class offers some light cleaning, the "actual" cleaner/wax would make better use of your time and muscle work.

Our neighbor runs a body shop. He has plenty of pretty high end buffers I could use, I just don't feel safe using one knowing that just the wrong angle or speed could put a hole in the clear or worse.

[/QUOTE]

Chances are he owns high SPEED buffers, not high END buffers and if this is the case then "yes" you will swirl out your car's black paint and possibly burn through on high points.

He has a few DAs also. But are they really mostly fool proof? I know nothing is fool proof but you get my point. I would of course be taking my time and watching videos on it.

Watch this video and you will know everything you need to know to use a simple or entry level dual action polisher like a,

Griot's Garage 6" DA
Meguiar's MT300
Porter Cable 7424XP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulWXODgg8V4&t=17s

Right now, my plan is..

Spray with car wash, wipe(Not in circular motions??) with a microfiber mitt, rinse, dry with microfiber towels.

Clay.

Polish.

Wax.

Instead,

Wash and dry
Clay
Use the cleaner/wax. Take your time and work small sections, overlap sections, use plenty of product.

Your car's paint will look great if you do the above.

Mallowpuff
04-12-2017, 09:17 AM
Wow thanks for the detailed information!

All I know is that buffers up there that weren't cheap. As for low speed or not, I couldn't tell you. I just know he only buys "the best". Either way I'd probably be buying a harbor fright or GG one.

I will definitely look at that polish/wax! It's fairly cheap too.

By working in small sections, do you mean everything in a small section then move? Or wash the whole car, clay the whole car and then work in small sections with the wax?

I know there's not a lot to washing and drying, but I also heard that washing in a circular motion is bad. So would spraying the car wash on, scrubbing with a microfiber mitt up and down and back and forth(?) and then drying with a microfiber towel be correct? Making sure to wash the mitt and towels off regularly in clean water to rid of contaminates.

Mallowpuff
04-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Just want to get any final opinions on stuff, I'm going up to the AutoZone tonight or tomorrow morning. Right now it's everything I posted on the first post except I'm using meguiar's cleaning wax instead of the polish and wax.